Author Topic: Traffic stops can’t last too long or go too far, and no extra dog sniffs!  (Read 876 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Court issued a seemingly simple rule today in Rodriguez v. United States:  “A seizure for a traffic violation justifies a police investigation of that violation” – not more — and “authority for the seizure . . . ends when tasks tied to the traffic infraction are – or reasonably should have been—completed.”  Because being stopped by police officers for traffic violations is a common occurrence for us all (not just drug dealers), this six-to-three decision probably gives some (small) comfort to many.  Traffic stops have to be reasonably short, and unless there is reasonable suspicion of some other crime, officers can’t use the stop as a subterfuge for extraneous investigation.  Most specifically, says Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s opinion for the Court, officers can’t prolong a traffic stop just to perform a dog-sniffing drug search.

The Rodriguez decision allows drug-sniffing dogs to be used during routine traffic stops– a practice upheld in the 2005 case, Illinois v. Caballes-- but the dogs cannot extend the time necessary to complete investigation of the traffic offense.  What’s even more intriguing is that the Rodriguez decision seems to imply that a dog sniff constitutes a “search” under the Fourth Amendment, which contradicts the Court’s 1983 decision in United States v. Place.  The Place Court concluded that a dog sniff doesn’t invade one’s “reasonable expectation of privacy,” in the same way that opening up one’s luggage would.

6 to 3 ruling.

Of course, the new trick will be to manufacture some "reasonable suspicion."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'

No doubt.  Still a bit of good news, long overdue.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Pb

• friend
So does this mean a cop can't tell you "Submit to a search or I'll make you wait on the side of the road for an hour while I fetch a drug dog"???? :police:

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
It means that cops will jail more folks on charges so they can search. On charges that used to be catch and release
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?

I thought they had been doing that all along.

"Where are you going?"  "Where are you coming from?"

"Why are you so nervous?"  "You seem kind of calm about all this."

"Would you mind stepping out of the car for a moment?"

Swivelable dash cams are going to be in high demand now.  Especially the bluetooth capable ones that transmit to your locked cellphone or some cloud storage.

"See, Your Honor?  There's the time stamp showing 10:17.26 when my client signed the traffic citation.  It matches closely to the time Ossifer Krupke entered next to his signature.  And now, Your Honor, there is the time stamp showing 11:03.56 when Ossifer Krupke tells my client to step out of the car."

Oops!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
6 to 3 ruling.

I detected the odor of marijuana/alcohol/independence/dislike of jack booted thuggery on the victim suspect.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams