Author Topic: Total US Firearms: Not 300 Million, but 412-660 Million?  (Read 868 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Total US Firearms: Not 300 Million, but 412-660 Million?
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:28:58 PM »
http://weaponsman.com/?p=33875

I heard this mentioned on Bill Frady's podcast.  It is far from complete, but is look at the numbers from a different angle.  His assumptions may be off, but I found it interesting anyway.  

We believe that the correct number is much higher — somewhere between 412 and 660 million.   You may wonder how we came to that number, so buckle up (and cringe, if you’re a math-phobe, although it never gets too theoretical): unlike most of the academics and reporters we linked above, we’re going to use publicly available data, and show our work.

What if we told you that one ATF computer system logged, by serial number, 252,000,000 unique firearms, and represented only those firearms manufactured, imported or sold by a relatively small number of the nation’s tens of thousands of Federal Firearms Licensees?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Total US Firearms: Not 300 Million, but 412-660 Million?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 02:27:33 AM »
I was just out in my garage prepping cases for reloading.  Got them in the case tumbler now getting clean.  Realized I only have 34 bullets (well, that I have a known good recipe for) for my 9.3mm left.  Need to fix that.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:53:26 AM »
Looking at my personal "meager" collection...
I have more than one fully functional pre-1899 bolt action rifles.
I have more than one pre-GCA date of manufacture modern rimfire rifles that never even had a serial number.
I know of several people that regularly shoot fully functional "high power" modern rifles made in the 30s-50s.
The vast majority of firearms sold prior to GCA '68 at best would be difficult to trace and probably impossible.

I suspect.that even the 660 million number is light and if we include illegally smuggled modern arms my bet that the actual number is close enough to 1 billion functional "modern" firearms.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:02:32 AM »
And if we really were as violent as the Anti's claim we are, there wouldn't be any anti's to complain.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 12:17:21 PM »
And if we really were as violent as the Anti's claim we are, there wouldn't be any anti's to complain.

Ain't projection a wonderful thing.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.