Author Topic: Trader Joe's Gun Policy  (Read 3415 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trader Joe's Gun Policy
« on: December 22, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »
I'm curious how you guys would interpret the statement below. I don't go to Trader Blows much - mostly once or twice before Christmas and a couple of times the rest of the year for a few items no one else has locally, and Amazon charges double for.

I've only been in Idaho Trader Joes twice so far, but need to go this morning again, and out of curiosity, I looked up their gun policy:

An Update to Our Customers Regarding Guns in Our Stores

September 05, 2019

[Published On: February 08, 2016]

In light of recent customer feedback and questions, we would like to clarify our long-standing preference that customers not bring guns into our stores.

We acknowledge and respect the rights of everyone involved in this important, often emotionally charged, debate.  We feel gun policy should be addressed by governmental and law enforcement agencies.  As we do with other important issues related to our business, we listen to our customers and Crew—and use the feedback we receive in our decision making.

Our approach has always been to follow local laws; and while that will not change, we want to make clear we do not welcome weapons of any kind in our stores.  We respectfully request that customers not bring firearms into our stores.

Thank you.

This sounds kinda like Starbucks old policy: "We really don't want guns in our stores, but we respect local laws, so concealed means concealed if laws allow it". I've been heeled everytime I went in previously, and based on my interpretation of that statement, will be again today. If I print and some Portland or SanFran transplant screams, I can only see them legally asking me to leave on general trespassing.

Also, much like anything else these days, it sounds like the populated urban areas run things. When they say they listen to customers and crews, I can't help but think that given the majority of their stories are in commie pinko areas, they end up applying that viewpoint to all their stores, versus taking the geographic perspectives of their customers and crews into account. Costco seems to do the same thing with their policy, only they are much more straightforward regarding "no guns allowed in our stores, period." I still carry there too, and either the local Costco will be cool about it and ignore Kirkland, or I guess at some point they can revoke my membership.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Trader Joe's Gun Policy
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »
we want to make clear we do not welcome weapons of any kind in our stores

Leave your hands in the car

Anyhow

I'm sure it depends on your state law but pretty much all they can do in Ky even with a no guns sticker is ask you to leave. Only if you refuse to leave can they do any more beyond that. But as many say concealed means concealed.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
They are asking. They won't tell you to leave. I have OC in Trader Blows a few times (they make a great little sourdough loaf that sells for a dollar) and no one has batted an eye, or me. I take it as we made our preference known and if you don't follow it you are just a big old meany with no feelings for our workers or other employees who may have a case of the vapors at the sight of your death tool on your waist. If I were to be approached I would pull my shirt over it and say look, now it is gone. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 12:35:37 PM »
I interpret it to mean what it says:

"We don't like guns but we do like your money, so please keep coming to our stores. We would prefer that you don't bring guns, but we're not telling you not to."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »

"We don't like guns but we do like your money, so please keep coming to our stores. We would prefer that you don't bring guns, but we're not telling you not to."

Bingo.

Also, TJ's has excellent corn chips, A.K.A. Fritos.  I like TJ's better than the original Frito's.  If you're into fruits and nuts <insert Californian joke here>, they have an excellent selection of dried fruits and nuts.  Prices are good, too.  The only other items I buy there routinely are the canned biscuits and croissants.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 12:44:13 PM »

Yep. I go there once a year for recreational shopping. Reminds me of Rhodes, Greece. They were mad that we were bombing the crap out of their orthodox brethren, the Serbs. So they held a big protest on the Last day of our four day port visit.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 01:20:13 PM »
Isn't this also pretty much what WalMart says these days?  Other than ranges or gun stores, I have never seen a sign on any business that says we want you to bring your weapons into our establishment.  You will probably be looking a long time if you need this to spend money someplace.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
Isn't this also pretty much what WalMart says these days?  Other than ranges or gun stores, I have never seen a sign on any business that says we want you to bring your weapons into our establishment.  You will probably be looking a long time if you need this to spend money someplace.

A gun range/gun store over here used to have a policy that prohibited the concealed and open carrying of firearms in the store. They changed a few years ago to allow concealed carry while shopping but still can't deal with someone who prefers open carry. I still don't go there.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »
A gun range/gun store over here used to have a policy that prohibited the concealed and open carrying of firearms in the store. They changed a few years ago to allow concealed carry while shopping but still can't deal with someone who prefers open carry. I still don't go there.

bob

I realize there are knuckleheads out there, but I've never understood gun stores that prohibit carry. I do understand "keep your firearm holstered" signs given the aforementioned knuckleheads. But if you're a gun store and you don't want me heeled in your store,  I don't want to do business with you.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »
Local gun shop does that, I walked in just to tell them what I thought of them and left. Forever. More likely to be spotted in the halal meat shop next door and that is not real probable.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »
I was up in New Hampshire to see my folks this weekend, and stopped at a "Zebra" service station for gas in Goffstown.  Google tells me this is not a chain, but a privately-owned store.  Anyway, it was posted, "no weapons of any kind."  In rural New Hampshire.  I'm sure 100% of their customers are ignoring that sign.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »
I'm curious how you guys would interpret the statement below. I don't go to Trader Blows much - mostly once or twice before Christmas and a couple of times the rest of the year for a few items no one else has locally, and Amazon charges double for.

I've only been in Idaho Trader Joes twice so far, but need to go this morning again, and out of curiosity, I looked up their gun policy:

This sounds kinda like Starbucks old policy: "We really don't want guns in our stores, but we respect local laws, so concealed means concealed if laws allow it". I've been heeled everytime I went in previously, and based on my interpretation of that statement, will be again today. If I print and some Portland or SanFran transplant screams, I can only see them legally asking me to leave on general trespassing.

Also, much like anything else these days, it sounds like the populated urban areas run things. When they say they listen to customers and crews, I can't help but think that given the majority of their stories are in commie pinko areas, they end up applying that viewpoint to all their stores, versus taking the geographic perspectives of their customers and crews into account. Costco seems to do the same thing with their policy, only they are much more straightforward regarding "no guns allowed in our stores, period." I still carry there too, and either the local Costco will be cool about it and ignore Kirkland, or I guess at some point they can revoke my membership.

I wouldn't open carry at TJ's but with a weaselly sign like that they probably wouldn't tell you to leave.  The sign is not for you, it's for the antis.  If it was for you, it would be worded stronger.
 Concealed should be no problem.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »
I wouldn't open carry at TJ's but with a weaselly sign like that they probably wouldn't tell you to leave.  The sign is not for you, it's for the antis.  If it was for you, it would be worded stronger.
 Concealed should be no problem.

This is my thought. When I gazoogled it, there were a bunch of congratulatory links from places like everytown talking about how great TJs is for this. Fence strattling PR that makes them look good while still taking money from gunowners. Funny, the Boise TJs has nearly the same hippie looking clientele as the one I went to in Santa Barbara, and I bet I was the only one packing anytime I was in there. The newer one in Meridian, if at least 10% of the clientele weren't CCing this morning, I'll eat a bug.

I'm still very disappointed in Costco's stance. Walmart actually has a better position on it than Costco. However, I really think the local Costco staff turns a blind eye in certain states.

Oh, also, there's no sign that I could see at TJs - that quote is just some statement they put out. I don't think I've ever seen a sign at Costco either. Their policy is on their website, and you have to look for it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 07:04:33 PM »
Oh, also, there's no sign that I could see at TJs - that quote is just some statement they put out. I don't think I've ever seen a sign at Costco either. Their policy is on their website, and you have to look for it.

That should tell you something :)
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »
I was up in New Hampshire to see my folks this weekend, and stopped at a "Zebra" service station for gas in Goffstown.  Google tells me this is not a chain, but a privately-owned store.  Anyway, it was posted, "no weapons of any kind."  In rural New Hampshire.  I'm sure 100% of their customers are ignoring that sign.

Those signs have no legal enforcement in NH.

"No Weapons Allowed" Signs Enforced?
Are "No Weapons Allowed" signs enforced in New Hampshire? If yes, violating the sign would be considered to be a crime. If no, violating the sign would not be considered a criminal offense.

No. "No Weapons Allowed" signs are not enforced in New Hampshire.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/nh-gun-laws/#

edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 09:03:52 AM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 09:00:53 PM »
I have never seen a sign at any of the local Costcos in the Seattle area.  Now that I think about it, pretty much the only places where I almost always see a sign are places serving alcohol, state or Federal facilities, and healthcare facilities.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 01:46:15 AM »
in NV its only a ticket if you refuse to leave .
I'm reasonably certain Idaho is similar, of course you should check.
I betcha the local traders doesn't care
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 08:40:07 AM »
Illinois has specific signage required for it be have the force of law.  This particular picture, this exact verbiage referencing IL law, and nothing else, put in a particular place.

I've seen plenty of non-compliant signs.  Including one that's totally correct, except the verbiage references some other state's law.  I mostly ignore them.

I do not know if compliant vs. non-compliant signage has been tested in the real world yet.

I would interpret Trader Joe's words as "just keep it out of sight.  nobody wants drama.".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 08:54:35 AM »
I would interpret Trader Joe's words as "just keep it out of sight.  nobody wants drama.".

Which I'm fine with. Kinda goes back to what we were talking about a while ago about bringing a gun into someone's home. I'm happy to keep it covered up if that makes them feel better.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 09:01:24 AM »
Illinois has specific signage required for it be have the force of law.  This particular picture, this exact verbiage referencing IL law, and nothing else, put in a particular place.

Minnesota has that too.  (no picture, but these magic words with the letters at least this big, etc)  My place of employment is the only place I've seen that gets it right.  And they have it at *every* entrance.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 04:59:48 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 04:23:25 PM »
I went to the urgent care on Friday. There were letters applied to the door (badly scratched up, actually) saying no firearms allowed.

I wasn't going back to my car to put my gun in the lock box so I said FIDO and moved on. Had my appointment, took care of close out business, and left. No one but Castle Key knew that I was packing.

I have NO clue what the laws are in Virginia regarding signage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.