Author Topic: AR 15 Lower Quality  (Read 5001 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
AR 15 Lower Quality
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
Pardon me if you all have covered this, but the "search" function is not working as I would expect.

I will buy one or two AR15 lowers before the year is out.  It rather buy quality than junk.

Which are the top 3 or so lower manufacturers, quality wise?

What is a fair retail price?

My research indicates the commonest lowers run $100, more or less.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: AR 15 Lower Quality
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »
I picked up a couple Stags, and they're really nice. Good price as well. I usually see less than $120 for stripped, but since the parts pak is about $60, sometimes it's worth your time to just get a complete assembled lower for $180 or so.

They all seem to mostly be the same, with the only one to avoid being Hesse, which is crap.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:53:21 PM by Manedwolf »

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »
jfruser:

I'm in exactly the same position. If you come across any DFW area deals/values, please shoot me a PM.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
My AR in progress is being built on a Superior Arms lower, appears to be of sound metalergy and I heard a lot of good things about their products when I went looking for a project. (Plus I am supporting a Iowan Business)

www.superiorarms.com

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 06:59:06 PM »
My understanding is that most of the forged lowers come from a small number of manufacturers.  I've also heard that any mil-spec forged lower is as good as the next.  I can only vouch for Stag though.  I've built one AR from parts (nothing prebuilt) and another one from a complete lower assembly.  So far, they both work fine.  The parts one went together without a hitch.

Chris

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 09:40:23 PM »
The only ones I have heard bad things about are the Vulcan/ Hesse ones. I have friends with builds on DPMS, Stag, Bushmaster, Superior, Doublestar, and Spike's Tactical. All of them are fine. Larue Tactical makes an awesome billet lower if you want something fancy.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:43:10 PM »
The only ones I have heard bad things about are the Vulcan/ Hesse ones. I have friends with builds on DPMS, Stag, Bushmaster, Superior, Doublestar, and Spike's Tactical. All of them are fine. Larue Tactical makes an awesome billet lower if you want something fancy.

I really am not sure how Hesse stays in business, at that. Their AR lowers are universally condemned, I've heard their FAL recievers called "alumibombs", and many assemblers won't work with them...

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »
I'm in exactly the same position. If you come across any DFW area deals/values, please shoot me a PM.

and me
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 10:38:46 PM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:51:32 PM by Oleg Volk »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 11:47:56 PM »
My understanding is that most of the forged lowers come from a small number of manufacturers. 

I've heard the same. While I can't guarantee it's 100% correct, here's the list of who made who:

Lewis Machine & Tool:
LMT
Lauer
DS Arms
PWA
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament
Barrett

Continental Machine Tool:
Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE
S&W
MGI
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision
Colt

LAR Manufacturing:
LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical

JVP:
Double Star
LRB
Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop:
Mega
GSE
Dalphon
POF
Alexander Arms

Olympic:
Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Palmetto
Dalphon
Frankford
Century (Old)

Sun Devil:
Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior:
Superior Arms
Lauer (New)

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 12:00:43 AM »
Territorial Gunsmiths make their own, also SLR15 receivers.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 12:12:09 AM »
The most reasonably priced quality lower I've found in DFW is with Sporting Arms Co. in Lewisville. Prices were ~ $110-120 for a CMMG/Stag stripped lower.

I have a polymer CavArms lower on my lightweight AR. Not sure what I was expecting when I bought it, but it's a surprisingly solid feeling lower. The weight savings is also nice and it balances better than a collapsible stock lower to boot. AGPArms has them at ~ $200 assembled with LPK.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:19:09 AM by Marvin Dao »

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 01:11:32 AM »

Cav Arms lowers are a pound lighter than aluminum lowers. It's the same difference as between pencil-tin barrel and HBAR. You could, if making a rifle with their lower and a light barrel, make an AR15 that weighs as little as an M1 carbine!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 01:13:49 AM »
Oleg:

I assume by the image that you have handled one of the Territorial Gunsmith's lowers?

What was your impression?  How did it compare to other lowers?

FYI, my experience is with Colt on M4A1 and FN on the M16A2 in the service.  I have handled a few other AR15s, but not spent any great time with them.

BTW, that image is rather compelling.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 01:44:34 AM »
My buds and I bought stripped uppers and lowers from http://www.essentialarms.com/

Two had RRA lower parts kits put in them and mine has DPMS. No issues with fit or anything.

Oh yeah mines green and I feel like I stole it.  =D
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 07:55:35 AM »
As previously written, only a handful of companies actually make lowers, and the only real difference in most is in the engraving and the anodizing/finish.

I just put together a Double Star lower with a Rock River Arms parts kit, MIAD grip, and Vltor E-mod stock; everything went together fine. I (temporarily) swapped in my Bushmaster upper - no problem.

Why Double Star? It seemed well finished - nice, uniform, black - and was cheaper than other uppers at a recent gun show.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »
Marvin:

Who/where is AGPArms? I have a CavArms lower and would consider another. (Mated to a Bushmaster upper with which I'm having short-stroking issues...)

Thanks,

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 12:35:40 PM »
I assume by the image that you have handled one of the Territorial Gunsmith's lowers?

What was your impression?  How did it compare to other lowers?

I own two of their lowers with custom numbers. Will post photos in a couple of days. The lowers they made for CY6 were good. The limited 226 lower run made by Randy under his own name is superb. The machining and the finish are top notch.

Cav Arms are also good, but in a more functional way. With matching furniture, you could do just about any color...even "Barney" purple :D

PS: Turns out that Randy prefers email.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:54:34 PM by Oleg Volk »