Author Topic: Reformation Day (31OCT) 95 Theses Video  (Read 2165 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Reformation Day (31OCT) 95 Theses Video
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:25 AM »
Along with being Halloween, 31OCT is also Reformation Day, the day in 1517 that ML nailed the 95 Theses to the church door in Wittenburg.

Video:
http://www.95thesesrap.com/

Places where the artist(s) took liberty with facts represented in the video are examined here:
http://www.95thesesrap.com/facts/

IMO, the effort gets extra points for the use of "Zwingli" in verse.  A first, AFAIK.

Yes, I enjoyed my one course on the Reformation & Counter-Reformation I had on my way to my history half of my double major.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Reformation Day (31OCT) 95 Theses Video
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
As a good Lutheran, October 31st has a special meaning to me, more than any little spooks or goblins coming to my front door for candy.

Making a rap video about it? 

Feh.  :|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »
As a good Lutheran, October 31st has a special meaning to me, more than any little spooks or goblins coming to my front door for candy.

Making a rap video about it? 

Feh.  :|

This promotes historical knowledge. How is that a bad thing?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:00:24 PM »
Did it ever occur to anyone that as a lapsed Catholic, maybe I wanted to buy some indulgences?  Thanks a lot... :mad:

Kidding...  =D

Although growing up a friend who attended a Lutheran grade school was all excited he'd gotten the lead in the school play as Martin Luther. And in all earnestness, I asked him two things.

1. There's no black kids at your school who could play him?

2. How long did it take you to memorize the "I have a dream" speech?

:lol:

But at my Catholic high school they covered a lot about Martin Luther and the Reformation and Counter-Reformations. And the Diocese-approved religious history books gave a very positive treatment to Martin Luther and openly acknowledged the corruption in the Church that made it necessary to do what made him famous. With the Church-equals-State of the day, the texts and our teachers made no bones over the fact what he did was crazy-brave.

Even though I don't care to be Catholic any more, it is one of the things I respect about the church. Even if it takes them a few centuries, they do openly admit when they're wrong. Galileo, the Reformation, the Inquisition etc. birth control and married clergy to go.
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:07:19 PM »
Oh, indulgences still exist, if you simply must purchase them.

You have to get them from Al Gore, and they've been re-labeled as "Carbon Credits".   =D

MB, I'm not a big fan of what I call (C)rap music.  I'm also the only one in my graduating class that's not a Lutheran pastor, for what it's worth.  To frame it from your neck of the woods, if I were Jewish, I'd probably be Orthodox...

To me, telling of the events of October 31st, 1517 is one thing.  Doing it as a rap video is more analogous to a Robert Mapplethorpe treatise on the origins of Protestant reform. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »
Which just proves my theory, Lutherans are straight-up nutty. :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:00:02 PM »

Oh, it can be bad. Very bad. I submit for your viewing pleasure, the Cowpens Rap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogjWJUTzrFo

Fail.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 04:08:34 PM »

I thought it was pretty danged funny and while not a lecture on the Reformation and Lutheran doctrine, might cause interested folk to dig deeper.  The above "Cowpens Rap" is a cautionary tale that shows just how wrong such an effort can go.

I especially like the way they recorded the difference between history and how it was represented in the video's lyrics.

ML was not shy about using new technology to his advantage and wrote some new songs considered hateful to the ruling orthodoxy.  I doubt he'd use a musical form like rap, but he'd be all over video, the net, etc., like a bad suit.

FTR, I am not a rap aficionado and am a big fan of some of the old hymns, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, being a favorite:
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/m/i/mightyfo.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mighty_Fortress_Is_Our_God

Quote from: G98
To me, telling of the events of October 31st, 1517 is one thing.  Doing it as a rap video is more analogous to a Robert Mapplethorpe treatise on the origins of Protestant reform.

Heh.  I bet you're not fond of "sandal services" complete with guitars & bongo drums, either?

My pastor thinks anything after Bach is suspect, music-wise.  He is in his mid-thirties and quite the small "c" conservative theologian.  We just made him senior pastor, 'cause we have enough folks with the sense to know we got ourselves a good one.

Bach/31OCT-Related Note:
Our toddlers and our pastor's toddler went out trick or treating together* 31OCT, but soon tired out, being toddlers & all.  While we were socializing afterwards with his in-laws, older kids were still coming to the door. 

Pastor came up with the idea to play spooky music on his piano for the trick-or-treaters and I suggested, "That creepy Bach fugue."  His eyes lit up and his in-laws gave me the stink-eye.  "You just had to go encourage him..."
Toccata and Fugue in D minor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

My wife said that next year he ought to get one of those costumes that hides one's head, so he can be the "Headless Pianist."  Pastor replied, "Oh, yeah, and I'll keep turning the pages of music, just to ratchet up the spookiness..."  =D

* Of course, parents came along too.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »
31OCT is also Reformation Day,

Froeliche Reformationstag, y-all.  Except that that would be under the Julian calendar, not our current Gregorian (off by (I think) 10 days).

1)When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, "Repent" (Mt 4:17), he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance.

FTR, I am not a rap aficionado and am a big fan of some of the old hymns, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, being a favorite:
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/m/i/mightyfo.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mighty_Fortress_Is_Our_God

Most hymnals get the rhythm wrong.  It's actually syncopated.

Oh, indulgences still exist, if you simply must purchase them.

Oh, Church of Rome still has them.  I doubt they sell them, but I remember JPII proclaiming a plenary indulgence for some pilgrimage or other.

My pastor thinks anything after Bach is suspect, music-wise.  He is in his mid-thirties and quite the small "c" conservative theologian.

I tend to agree, as long as we get to keep "For All The Saints" with the Ralph Vaughn Williams tune.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:24:25 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
My pastor thinks anything after Bach is suspect, music-wise.  He is in his mid-thirties and quite the small "c" conservative theologian. 

I think he and I have a few things in common. 

ML was not shy about using new technology to his advantage and wrote some new songs considered hateful to the ruling orthodoxy.  I doubt he'd use a musical form like rap, but he'd be all over video, the net, etc., like a bad suit.

I believe the Issues Etc. guys said that Luther's hymns sounded like the drinking songs of his day, if I heard that right. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »
I believe the Issues Etc. guys said that Luther's hymns sounded like the drinking songs of his day, if I heard that right. 

Hmmm.  I ought to get some buddies together and try that one out.  In the spirit of inquiry.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 02:43:05 AM »
<shakes head>Started off talking about the reformation and somehow worked our way over to rap music.  I could not explain how it happened.  I must pay more attention. </shakes head>
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon