Author Topic: Good grief... really?  (Read 1220 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good grief... really?
« on: January 06, 2020, 02:19:05 PM »
So, Don Trump Jr. has some bling for one of his ARs...

And it's gonna cause butt hurt on a LOT of different levels...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/06/donald-trump-jr-rifle-magazine-shows-hillary-clinton-cross.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Good grief... really?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 02:28:41 PM »
Holy cow, he shops at the same place I do. And so can you.  ;)

bob

ETA: That is one spendy pistol.  https://www.rarebreedfirearms.com/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 02:32:40 PM »
Holy cow, he shops at the same place I do. And so can you.  ;)

bob

Well, between Don Jr and your link, they're getting some of my business.  :laugh:

What a triggered article - they had to go from the mag to a history of everything they don't like about Trump. Unbiased media.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
If we start circulating Lock Him Up memes to Lefty websites, would they figure it out?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »
Holy cow, he shops at the same place I do. And so can you.  ;)

bob

ETA: That is one spendy pistol.  https://www.rarebreedfirearms.com/

Donald Jr. doesn't stint on his guns. At the 2018 SHOT Show I spotted him siting down with the head of Cabot Firearms. Cabot makes top-tier 1911s that start at around $5,000 and go up from there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 06:27:35 PM »
Wait until they see a MAGA-zine.  [popcorn] triggered!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
Donald Jr. doesn't stint on his guns. At the 2018 SHOT Show I spotted him siting down with the head of Cabot Firearms. Cabot makes top-tier 1911s that start at around $5,000 and go up from there.

Are those prices legit, or is it all hype?

I want to hate on them, because I find their guns offensively fugly.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 07:51:04 PM »
"It makes my heart soar like an eagle."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:13:30 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 07:51:33 PM »
Wait until they see a MAGA-zine.  [popcorn] triggered!

I have triggered a few people with this one!!   :rofl:   :rofl:

Donald Jr. doesn't stint on his guns.

I can understand that.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
Are those prices legit, or is it all hype?

I want to hate on them, because I find their guns offensively fugly.

I find their guns fugly, too, but the prices are basically valid for what you get. I knew a guy (since deceased) who toured the Cabot factory to write it up for the M1911.org e-zine. They make everything from solid steel ingots -- no castings. They use a variant of CNC machining, but not the type we're mostly accustomed to, with cutters. Cabot is an offshoot of a company that specializes in high-tech grinding tools and equipment, so they make everything by grinding, to extremely close tolerances. And it works. At the Cabot factory, people being given the tour are ultimately led to the final assembly area. There's a rack of finished frames, and a rack of finished slides. They are told to pick any frame and any slide, and put them together. They always fit perfectly, and slide like they're been oiled even though they're bone dry.

They are masterpieces of gunmaking. They just happen to be monumentally ugly masterpieces.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 01:41:14 AM »
I find their guns fugly, too, but the prices are basically valid for what you get. I knew a guy (since deceased) who toured the Cabot factory to write it up for the M1911.org e-zine. They make everything from solid steel ingots -- no castings. They use a variant of CNC machining, but not the type we're mostly accustomed to, with cutters. Cabot is an offshoot of a company that specializes in high-tech grinding tools and equipment, so they make everything by grinding, to extremely close tolerances. And it works. At the Cabot factory, people being given the tour are ultimately led to the final assembly area. There's a rack of finished frames, and a rack of finished slides. They are told to pick any frame and any slide, and put them together. They always fit perfectly, and slide like they're been oiled even though they're bone dry.

They are masterpieces of gunmaking. They just happen to be monumentally ugly masterpieces.

I liked the one they made from meteorite metal a few years back.  Out of my price range, but cool.  And less ugly than many of their offerings.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 08:32:46 AM »
I liked the one they made from meteorite metal a few years back.  Out of my price range, but cool.  And less ugly than many of their offerings.

I am really fond of their Left Hand models, one of my biggest gun regrets is letting a LH Randall get away from me because of the cost at the time (IIRC about 1300 bucks back in 2001 or so). Well, the Randall and the early SR25 I could have picked up at a show in Vegas when I lived there.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 08:48:48 AM »

I wasn't really familiar with them other than name dropping here and there, so just went and looked at their website. While there are some ugly artsy fartsy models, there are quite a few nice looking working guns there I wouldn't mind owning.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 08:59:34 AM »
Cabot also partners with a company that makes Tungsten Carbide knives.  I want to try one of those, but they are expensive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 09:14:08 AM »
Some of them weren't bad looking, but a lot of them seemed to be overdone "Barbecue Guns," meant to show off how wealthy the bearer is.

I'm not 100% sure of the advantage to all that precision grinding.  I mean, they've been milling and forging 1911s since.... well, 1911 AD, with fairly satisfactory results.  A little accurizing might be in order, but somehow I doubt that a precision-ground 1911 could shoot $5000 better than a well-tuned forged and milled one.  And remember, a lot of the tolerances are there to accommodate proper lubrication of working parts for long-term operation.  People forget that sometimes.

Of course, a lot of that $5000 comes from fancy engraving and other embellishment not related to accuracy or reliability.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if someone came up with transparent holsters to show off that Barbecue Gun Art.

Terry, Claster of Icons, 230RN

This space reserved for disagreement.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:40:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
Some of them weren't bad looking, but a lot of them seemed to be overdone "Barbecue Guns," meant to show off how wealthy the bearer is.

Nothing wrong with a barbecue gun. :)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2020, 09:56:11 AM »
$5000 better?  You are thinking small.  The question is whether they shoot $2,248,500 better.
https://cabotguns.com/oak-collection/the-big-bang-pistol-set/

=D

I don't mind a BBQ gun, but that is a bit rich for me.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 10:15:35 AM »

I have spoken with Rob Bianchin, the head of Cabot Guns, a couple of times. He told me that the majority of their sales are to buyers from Europe, the kind of people who don't blink at spending $25,000 and up for a side-by-side shotgun. He said many of them will never shoot their guns, but they inspect the surfaces with a magnifying glass and won't buy it if they find any flaws or uneveness in the surface.

That's the market they cater to. If any of us rude colonials happen to feel like ponying up the $$$ to buy a Cabot pistol, he'll sell us one -- but it's not their primary market.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:37:31 AM by Hawkmoon »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »
I have spoken with Rob Bianchin, the head of Cabot Guns, a couple of times. He told me that the majority of their sales are to buyers from Europe, the kind of people who don't blink at spending $25,000 and up for a side-by-side shotgun. He said many of them will never shoot their guns, but they inspect the surfaces with a magnifying glass and won't buy it if they find any flaws or uneveness in the surface.

That's the market they cater to. If any of us rude colonials happen to feel like ponying up the $$$ to buy a Cabot pistol, he'll sell us one -- but it's not their primary market.
If you are going to spend that much on a gun, I guess it better be perfect.

I wonder if they have any blem sales.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge