Author Topic: Cell phone weirdness  (Read 330 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Cell phone weirdness
« on: November 03, 2022, 10:45:48 PM »
I have a couple of cheap cell phones that I use for playing with new (to me) apps so I won't inadvertently mess up the phone I use and need on a regular basis. There's a compass / GPS app that I want to try in my car driving to work tomorrow, so I pulled out burner phone #2 and installed the app. When I took the phone out of the box, it showed the battery status as 97%.

Not wanting to run it down while installing the app, I connected it to a charger and plugged it in, then installed the app and played with the configuration for a couple of minutes. Battery charge state was now down to 91%.

So I turned off the phone and left it for a while. Came back and it was at 86%. I was using a generic charging adapter from Amazon, so I switched to the one that came with the phone and tried again. Went down to 81%. So I ditched the adapters altogether and plugged the USB cord directly into my computer. Went down to 77%.

What's going on?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Cell phone weirdness
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 10:53:59 PM »
Defective battery or the phone's internal charging circuitry is borked.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 12:52:39 AM »
I think it's a flaky charging socket in the cheap Chinese (ZTE) phone.

I tried a third power cord, and another power adapter, and it charged right up. My clue was when I had cord #2 plugged into the computer. With the phone turned off and just sitting on my desk, the computer was constantly making the system chime sound for when a device is connected to or disconnected from the USB port.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 09:21:44 AM »
The USB 3 B micro connectors that a lot of things use for power seem to wear out quickly.  "Does this cable work?  Does that one?"  And the charger port it plugs into could likewise have gotten buggered.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 09:42:36 AM »
Cable was my first thought. Like Lee said, USB micro-B connectors are pretty fragile.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
It can also be cords and power adapters that are bad or don't provide enough power/voltage to charge effectively.  I have had power adapters fail as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3J6Z6SZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I got a new phone recently and got this set of chargers with 10 foot cords.  They work great.  Charges up my phone pretty fast.  I noticed my older charges don't do near as well (lower power/voltage?) and barely keep up with use playing a video.  Anyway, I need to get another pair of them maybe with 6 foot cords this time.  I am considering replacing all the random power adapters I have. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge