Author Topic: ? Speaking in fragments? (sanity check)  (Read 3877 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
? Speaking in fragments? (sanity check)
« on: July 19, 2005, 10:19:09 PM »
I have noted something of late, and am wondering if I'm just loosing my mind, or if other have noted it as well.  Of late, I've run into a fair number of people who appear to speak in fragmentary sentences.  They will start off saying something, pause in mid-statement, then jump to 1.) a related, but different subject/tense/perspective or 2.) totally unrelated topic.  For example...."If you don't measure out the powder for a round right..(3-5 second pause) I think the squib got lodged in the barrel."  or "The access list on the router controls...(pause) If you are not on the list.(pause)..we do filter inbound, but not out."  It is almost as if the speaker is working out the various paths the conversation can follow during the pauses, then deciding which was is appropriate and continuing.  Personally, I find this VERY disconcerting and difficult to follow, since while my mind jumps about seeing relationships, I still speak in complete sentences.  If something is related to the main topic of conversation, I will verbalize the connection rather than just jump topics. I also am conditioned to expect that kind of speaking pattern in others.

Anyone else notice this, or is the toll of a miss spent youth catching up to me?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 10:22:31 PM »
It's TV News' fault.

How many times have you heard this: "Today - terror in the streets of baghdad - 10 killed and more wounded - terrorists to blame, officials say - details at 10."
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 11:17:11 PM »
I do that. Smiley

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 11:23:20 PM »
I do that.
Do you know why?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 11:56:05 PM »
No. Kind of what Blackburn says, I guess.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 01:24:45 AM »
Honestly I think this results in a decline in recreational reading. Really, kids just dont read BOOKS anymore. The internet is a sad excuse for written communication, especially if one spends most of their time in chat sites and on forums. I just dont think that people have enough experience with what a complete thought should look like because they dont see it very often. This probably doesnt bode well for the future of our society.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 04:58:29 AM »
This probably doesnt bode well for the future of our society.
I tend to agree but then I'm old, conservative and don't always see new things in the same light as those much younger than me do.

On the other hand what we're observing may just be the beginnings of the next evolutionary change in human language...

It is often stated that the only constant is change.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

GT

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 05:50:25 AM »
Here's the thing, you know... I mean that when people start a theme... on the other hand you can always just consider the other viewpoint.

Like Werewolf said change and stuff. But is it good.

I mean like... my wife was saying the other day about taking out the trash and it wasn't even.

But back to the point.

Really.

What?

G

PS. +1

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 08:13:41 AM »
I've noticed this when I've done transcriptions of focus groups and interviews for my work.  You can have lengthy discussions where no one completes a full sentence!  The most eloquent man I know had terrible carpal syndrome that left him unable to type.  As a result, he had to dictate all of his research papers, memos, emails, etc. to a voice-recognition program on his computer that typed what he said.  All of this led to him speaking in complete paragraphs with perfect sentences.  It is a bit disconcerting when you meet him however, since most people don't speak this way.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 08:20:27 AM »
My guess is it is reflection our forms of communication. On radio and TV the object seems to be to hold the floor. It's not important what you are saying, only that there isn't a fraction of a second of silence while thoughts are composed.

I also wish I could blame cell phones, but I'm not sure how to do it Smiley
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 09:43:38 AM »
My mind just goes blank sometimes and for the life of me I can't remember what the heck I was saying/talking about Sad.

I still read but sometimes I do the same thing.

Wayne

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 09:51:26 AM »
My mind just goes blank sometimes and for the life of me I can't remember what the heck I was saying/talking about
Did'nt your physician recommend that you stop huffing the Hoppes #9? Cheesy

I do that occasionally USP45usp, but what I refereeing to are those who speak in fragments constantly.  And its not the younger people, but those of my own age grouping (35-45) where I most often encounter it.  OK, so I'm not going crazy (well, crazier).  

Interesting postulation Werewolf, I'd not considered that.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 09:56:40 AM »
Much of our information now comes at us in that machine gun, staccato style.  
Many of the MTV "Real World", VH1 video runs in the same fashion, like visual "sound bites'.

It wasn't long until the culture began to devolve into communicating in the same patterns.

"'Sup, dog?"
"yo, Howzit, G?"
"Word"
"gotta jet.  Holla atchya".

Ummm...what did they just say?

Hello, my friend.  How are you today?
Fine, thanks.  And you?
Very well, thanks.
I must leave now.  I'll talk to you again soon.

Sad it's come to this.

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 01:48:10 PM »
I read *a lot* as a kid and the last television I watched was "Pimp My Ride" during the Great Vanless Week last winter, so I probably can't blame either of those things.

I also tend to read like that, too, now that I think about it. I have books all over and read whatever I'm near, rather than taking a book with me all the time.

thorn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 04:47:22 PM »
uh, guilty- and sorry. i dont speak like this, and actually splel quite well (hehehe)

but online- forget it. i am working on the typos, but besides that i would also read IDEAS rather than drawn out stories, tpying them is tedious as anything.

one hopes the readers have enough
in·sight   Audio pronunciation of "insight" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (nst)
n.

1. The capacity to discern the true nature of a situation; penetration.

to figure it out, but they often dont. sad.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 04:52:24 PM »
Publik Skoolin' in da South.

My story and I'm sticking with it.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 05:21:34 PM »
I get interrupted if I don't jump right to the end of every sentence as fast as I can. I don't know why, but every time I open my mouth, it's as if I'm saying, "Interrupt me!" And when I take back the floor (interrupt the interrupter), I'm the one who's being rude.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 06:14:43 PM »
Interesting comment thorn, one which brings to mind my leaning styles.  I am a visual learning first (reading and visualization of the subject matter), followed by kinesthetic (doing) with auditory lagging far behind.  This may in part be why I have such trouble following those who speak in fragments.

Interruption is a pet peeve of mine, and a practice very rarely tolerate. Maybe once and awhile with friends gaming, but elsewhere, forget it.  When it happens to me DJJ, I'll interupt right back AND point out the rudeness of the other speaker.  That usually puts an end to right quick.  Same with raised voices in a heated conversation, 'specially in my home.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 07:17:19 PM »
Like too many people, I tend to begin to speak before I complete the thought in my head.  

Also, as I speak, I often will throw in asides to preempt any potential arguments as that potential arises rather than letting someone get a comment/interruption out which I'll just have to destroy or counter later.

Too much arguing with friends while growing up, I guess, or too legalistic of a mindset.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 06:10:30 PM »
Except for dialogue, I've always written in complete, intelligible, well crafted, properly punctuated sentences and paragraphs.

Some years ago, intending to write shorter, I tried switching to a much looser first person stylecomplete with lots of dashes. It was fun. It was much harder work than I anticipated, but the net result was lively, punchy, quick-paced, and much shorter. I pursued it a couple more years, then abandoned writing altogether in favor of painting.

A couple years ago, the Great American Novel struck out of a clear blue sky. I refused to have anything to do with it. I put it off. I tried deliberately to botch it. Finally, in desperation, I wrote the @#$%^&! thing. Somewhere around the fourth draught, I tossed it in the closet and took a break to write a novella with no dashes, no first person extravagances, no loopy conversational segues, no disjunctions or whims or spins. Returned to work on the novel, I found I was able to resume writing in a slangy style much more easily. I made it work with the tale instead of against it.

I'm now working on another novella. This one's about a sculptor, who tells his tale in sentence fragments. Lots of sentence fragments. Little fragments. Big fragments. All the various different in between fragments. Lots of missing verbs. People can probably figure it out. Right? No doubt.

I've recently discovered a most curious fact: deliberately slovenly writing is harder work than writing well. Slovenly speech isn't necessarily an indicator of slovenly thinking, but there's definitely a correlation.

I'd still much rather paint than write.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 08:49:33 AM »
What drives me absolutely bonkers is the whole "stream of consciousness" writing style that many internet posters have adopted. They are rambling, run-on diatribes that seem to go on forever and are usually only broken by an occasional comma or double-dot. AGH!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB