Author Topic: Yeah, those sex offender laws sure work...  (Read 3885 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Yeah, those sex offender laws sure work...
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:31:42 AM »
Rehabilitated. Right.

Convicted sex offender accused of raping boy at Mass. library

BOSTONThe rape this week of a 6-year-old boy in a public library has reignited debate over a state law allowing sexually dangerous predators to be locked up indefinitely after completing their prison terms.

The suspect in the boy's assault was a convicted child rapist who was released about a year ago by a judge over the objections of prosecutors and three psychologists who said he was dangerous and would likely strike again.

Corey Saunders, 26, was arrested outside a homeless shelter Wednesday evening shortly after the boy was assaulted at a New Bedford library while the child's mother was using a computer nearby.

Massachusetts law allows judges to commit sex offenders indefinitely if they're found to be dangerous and likely to reoffend. But Bristol Superior Court Judge Richard Moses rejected the motion by the district attorney's office to keep him in custody.

The judge cited Saunders' low IQ, his history of being sexually abused as a child and his lack of sexual offenses while in prison. A psychologist for the defense said he was not likely to re-offend. Even though Saunders had difficulty in completing his treatment program, "such fact alone does not establish likelihood of reoffense," the judge wrote.

"The court finds it significant that Saunders' offending conduct took place over seven years ago. Also, Saunders, who has experience an extremely difficult childhood and has a borderline IQ, was far from emotionally mature at the time of his offending conduct," the judge said in rejecting the petition to commit Saunders.

Former Bristol district attorney Paul F. Walsh Jr., who filed the petition, said Friday he can't remember a case in which there was more overwhelming evidence for the prosecution.

"In this case, you had prior criminal offenses, failure to complete treatment programs, three psychologists saying he was dangerous," he said. "I don't know what more you could have. If that is not sufficient, I don't know what more would be needed."

The judge is not allowed to comment on a pending case.

Suzanne DelVecchio, the retired chief justice of the state Superior Court, said Moses "is a wonderful judge, very cautioned in his decisions."

"He thinks them through, and I am sure it has been very difficult for him since this happened," she said.

Saunders, who was convicted in 2001 of child rape and assault and battery on a child for raping a 7-year-old boy in a foster home where he was placed, is classified as a Level 3 sex offender, the state's most dangerous designation. He had registered with police, as required by law.

He spent four years behind bars on the 2001 conviction, completing his sentence in December 2006. He had been living in Boston and recently spending time in homeless shelters in New Bedford. His attorney, public defender Lee Fortier, did not immediately return a call for comment.

Authorities say he lured the boy into a secluded corner and raped him. New Bedford police Lt. Jeffry Silva said the boy did not scream because he was so paralyzed by fear. Saunders demanded the boy's address and threatened to rape him again, Silva said.

A librarian who became suspicious when she saw the boy and Saunders together alerted the boy's mother, authorities said.

Saunders is being held without bail pending a hearing scheduled for Thursday. He is charged with rape of a child by force, indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 and enticing a child.

"It is a tragedy that this took place," current District Attorney Sam Sutter said. "This incident dramatizes exactly why we have a Sexually Dangerous Persons protocol."

But John Swomley, a defense lawyer who has represented some sex offenders, said it is almost impossible to predict someone's future behavior.

"What happened in this particular case is awful, but I'm not a proponent of civil commitment. I call it involuntary commitment," he said. "You are putting them in prison for crimes they didn't commit."

The civil commitment law as it currently stands is based on politics and not on science, he said, suggesting longer prison terms for people convicted of sex crimes.

Judges must make their decisions based on the law, and the law says that at civil commitment hearings, prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant is likely to re-offend, DelVecchio said.

This case was difficult because there was one psychologist who determined that Saunders would not strike again.

"It's heartbreaking for a judge when we make these decisions and we're wrong, but judges make thousands of decisions and we're only remembered when we're wrong," she said.

Walsh said the state's civil commitment law is necessary because sex offenders are incurable.

"In my 20 years as a prosecutor, never in my life have I seen a person convicted of sex crimes cured, never say 'I don't have those feelings any more,"' said Walsh, who just finished a yearlong assignment at the National District Attorney's Association and plans on going into private practice.

"You need a law like this to balance a defendant's personal freedom against society's right to be safe," he said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/02/01/convicted_sex_offender_accused_of_raping_boy_at_mass_library/

Thing is, this is why I'm glad MY state law reads as follows:

A person is justified in using deadly force upon another person when he reasonably believes that such other person: (a) Is about to use unlawful, deadly force against the actor or a third person; (b) Is likely to use any unlawful force against a person present while committing or attempting to commit a burglary; (c) Is committing or about to commit kidnapping or a forcible sex offense; or (d) Is likely to use any unlawful force in the commission of a felony against the actor within such actor's dwelling or its curtilage.

Because if I saw that happening, this sort of scum in the act of raping a six-year-old in the corner of a library, I'd follow that law to the letter and put at least two 9mms in his head at close range. And I'd dare anyone to object. That kid's life is ruined because of that scum...and because of the judge that let him out. angry

Tecumseh

• friend
Re: Yeah, those sex offender laws sure work...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
Nothing like talking about shooting people in the head.  rolleyes

Either way I would suggest making damn sure that you don't misenterpret the situation.  A father changing his kid, a mother wiping off her son, or some other situation. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:20:20 PM »
I think something like violent rape of a child could be pretty obvious in some cases, especially if the attacker has their pants down. I meant if it was unmistakable what was going on, obviously. 

And in that case, such a shot would be to stop them immediately without any chance of them harming the kid if they have a knife or other weapon. CNS damage to the grey matter tends to take an attacker out of the game rather quickly due to a lack of anything left to think with. This is why the failure to stop drill is two COM, one to the head. It's just that a COM shot works better for an attacker focused on you due to the fact that it's a bigger target.

Why, what would YOU do?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:30:37 PM »
Well, where would you shoot 'em? I'm guessing the 'nads are a little to close to the victim, but the skull likely is a nice clear target.

Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:31:36 PM »
Yes, you could argue that the skull was the farthest point from the victim or something.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »
If the guy is a continuing threat, why incarcerate him indefinitely, just kill him.  In a case like this, I would think it would be pretty easy to prove guilt pretty conclusively.

I need to check on Texas law.  I remember hearing that one of the Republicans was going to introduce legislation making rape of a young child eligible for the death penalty.  I have no idea if that passed.  I think it was after the 2nd offense though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 12:33:45 PM »

"It's heartbreaking for a judge when we make these decisions and we're wrong, but judges make thousands of decisions and we're only remembered when we're wrong," she said.

And if she would've handed him a slow, painful death the first time around we wouldn't be discussing this sickening repeat offense.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 12:34:36 PM »
If the guy is a continuing threat, why incarcerate him indefinitely, just kill him.  In a case like this, I would think it would be pretty easy to prove guilt pretty conclusively.

It's Massachusetts. Where the criminal is the victim and the victim is the criminal. Where a lady carrying pepperspray or a taser will get a felony conviction, but an attempted rapist or a drive-by gets a suspended misdemeanor.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:57 PM »
I honestly don't know what I would do.  I would probably try to take the man off of the kid as long as I knew the entirety of the situation.  However I would also call the cops.  I doubt I would be shooting the man two to the chest and one to the head like some of the posters here.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 12:42:16 PM »
I honestly don't know what I would do.  I would probably try to take the man off of the kid as long as I knew the entirety of the situation.  However I would also call the cops.  I doubt I would be shooting the man two to the chest and one to the head like some of the posters here.

And if the guy got the kid into the corner with a knife, he could slash the kid's throat as you're trying, or you could feel a thump and something icy between your ribs as the last mistake you make. NEVER grapple with an attacker or someone else's attacker, it's a good way to end up dead. Distance. Always distance.

If someone is obviously raping a kid, and I mean obviously, I want them to stop functioning RIGHT NOW.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:45:01 PM »
The judge cited Saunders' low IQ, his history of being sexually abused as a child and his lack of sexual offenses while in prison.

Well of course he didn't rape anybody in prison.  THERE WEREN'T ANY CHILDREN THERE!  rolleyes

But John Swomley, a defense lawyer who has represented some sex offenders, said it is almost impossible to predict someone's future behavior.

I bet I could predict a child rapist's future behavior if he were strung up on a noose.

Walsh said the state's civil commitment law is necessary because sex offenders are incurable.

I don't know that all sex offenders are incurable, but I will say that no person has control over who they are sexually attracted to.  In the same way that gay men like men, lesbians like women, and people prefer different races or body size, this offender likes children.   He will never be cured of that so long as he lives. 

Of course, we do have control over how we act on our urges.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »

And if the guy got the kid into the corner with a knife, he could slash the kid's throat as you're trying, or you could feel a thump and something icy between your ribs as the last mistake you make. NEVER grapple with an attacker or someone else's attacker, it's a good way to end up dead. Distance. Always distance.

If someone is obviously raping a kid, and I mean obviously, I want them to stop functioning RIGHT NOW.

What if he didn't?  What if he had a gun?  What if he had an accomplice?  We are going by the original example, aren't we not?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »
Right.

Shoot 'em.

Glad to see you're coming around.
Blog under construction

Strings

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
Thank you all for demonstrating the absolute worst problem with our system today: 12 responses detailing what should have been done with the perp, and absolutely nothing there about treatment for the victim.

Sorry... it's a sorepoint of mine, and why BACA exists: to help the victims of such acts. I get a touch fanatical about it.

Honestly, this is a perfect example of why capitol punishment is a good idea. Keeping someone locked up because they're a continuing danger to society is a)cruel and inhumane, and b)not cost effective. Executing such a person (much like destroying a rabid dog) is the only action that is NOT cruel, yet is cost-effective. And I'm not talking about torturing the perp, but something fast, like a .22 to the head.

This isn't vindictiveness on my part, but rather a desire to protect society at large. This person can't be rehabilitated, therefore they're a danger. End that danger (execution), and there's no problem.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »
 resist the temptation, don't feed the moron troll.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 02:45:15 PM »
Bigjake, are you refering to Strings?  If so, add me to your list of trolls.

In any case... The scum-sucking bad guy gets by easy: death.  The real victim, the child, has a lifetime of agony and uncertainty ahead of him unless he gets real, professional, caring help.

The pig-*expletive deleted*it rapist likes what he does.  The child is terrified.  The rapist chooses to rape the child.  The child chooses nothing.

There is no more appropriate punishment for a child rapist than instant death.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
Thank you all for demonstrating the absolute worst problem with our system today: 12 responses detailing what should have been done with the perp, and absolutely nothing there about treatment for the victim.

Sorry... it's a sorepoint of mine, and why BACA exists: to help the victims of such acts. I get a touch fanatical about it.

Honestly, this is a perfect example of why capitol punishment is a good idea. Keeping someone locked up because they're a continuing danger to society is a)cruel and inhumane, and b)not cost effective. Executing such a person (much like destroying a rabid dog) is the only action that is NOT cruel, yet is cost-effective. And I'm not talking about torturing the perp, but something fast, like a .22 to the head.

This isn't vindictiveness on my part, but rather a desire to protect society at large. This person can't be rehabilitated, therefore they're a danger. End that danger (execution), and there's no problem.
  You are correct.  The victim will probably become an abuser.  Guess he or she will have to be put down as well.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »
Bigjake, are you refering to Strings?  If so, add me to your list of trolls.

He's referring to somebody else in this thread, Fly320. 

We're not in the business of calling anybody a troll on this forum, per the forum rules we all agreed to abide by.

Locked.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"