Author Topic: Paging HeroHog  (Read 2402 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Paging HeroHog
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:23:54 PM »
Are you in the path of Harvey? If so, do you have everything battened down and a stock of drinking water and MREs laid in?

According the "the media," the hurricane hasn't even landed yet but Trump has already failed in his response to it. You're on your own, Amigo.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Paging HeroHog
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
I am at the NorthWest corner of the state. I doubt that if it ever reaches here it will be much worse than a bad thunderstorm. Thanks for thinking about me though.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »
It's looking like you're going to see at least a tropical storm along about Tuesday or Wednesday. Still time to get ready.

I hope the folks along the Texas coast have either evacuated or hunkered down.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
My daughter in is NW Houston (the Heights) and my parents are north of that, near Conroe.  I'm more worried about the parents because if their power goes out, it stays out for a while -- for weeks after Ike.  My dad's 87th birthday is tomorrow.  Helluva birthday present (not that bad if it misses them altogether)
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »
We will be fine, if our place floods, Shreveport is *expletive deleted*ed! We are in a flood zone although in the 6 years we've been here, its never flooded.

Yes, it is on a "hill" about 3' above street level and the house is up on a pier and beam foundation giving us another 2'-2.5' above ground before ya get to the floor/foundation. Tornados are the biggest threat around here.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »
What a shame. I saw where Trumps response to this disaster was already a failure as of yesterday afternoon.
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »
What a shame. I saw where Trumps response to this disaster was already a failure as of yesterday afternoon.
 :facepalm:

He's being blamed for not keeping store shelves stocked. That's a new one.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/25/unhinged-trump-is-being-blamed-because-theres-no-food-on-the-shelves-in-houston-harvey2017/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
President Donald J. Trump signs disaster proclamation for Texas as Hurricane Harvey approaches.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/25/hurricane-harvey-strengthens-to-category-4-as-catastrophic-landfall-looms.html
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:51:34 PM »
President Donald J. Trump signs disaster proclamation for Texas as Hurricane Harvey approaches.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/25/hurricane-harvey-strengthens-to-category-4-as-catastrophic-landfall-looms.html

That authorizes the Department of Homeland Insecurity to gear up and provide assistance. I just hope DHS does a better job on this one than they did after Katrina, or it will all be Trump's fault.

Of course, if DHS does a great job, it'll be because Obama straightened out the department after Katrina ...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 11:58:06 PM »
That authorizes the Department of Homeland Insecurity to gear up and provide assistance. I just hope DHS does a better job on this one than they did after Katrina, or it will all be Trump's fault.

Of course, if DHS does a great job, it'll be because Obama straightened out the department after Katrina ...

I think they pretty much did what they were supposed to after Katrina. Immediate operational help is supposed to take place at the state and local level. The feds are mostly there to throw money at stuff and help out after the fact. Hence the whole "72 hours worth of supplies" thing. Plus feds can't do anything until given permission by the state's Governor. As I recall during Katrina, the LA gov dragged her feet on that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 12:34:57 AM »
Harvey missed me sort of.  I work in Freeport, TX.  We are already getting a lot of rain, but the winds are not so bad.  We will see what happens over the next 4 or 5 days.  They were talking about it bouncing back out into the Gulf.  I think they have revised that a bit.  We'll see what the updates look like in the morning.

The only thing that happened to me is I lost power for about 4 hours this evening.  Just got it back about an hour ago.  Hopefully, that doesn't happen again. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 03:11:51 PM »
I think they pretty much did what they were supposed to after Katrina. Immediate operational help is supposed to take place at the state and local level. The feds are mostly there to throw money at stuff and help out after the fact. Hence the whole "72 hours worth of supplies" thing. Plus feds can't do anything until given permission by the state's Governor. As I recall during Katrina, the LA gov dragged her feet on that.

After Mayor "Chocolate City" took the entire disaster response plan and chucked it out the window....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »
Following this.  Hope all stays good for you, Speedy, and everyone else on the "track."

Didn't know about Harvey until I posted something else on the weather and Fly320s gave me a heads-up about it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm watching this also.  Good friend of mine lives in Corpus....They have hunkered down and plan to ride it out.  I hope they made the right decision...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 10:40:11 AM »
The news got my blood boiling this morning. They showed an image of some poor abandoned dog chained to a tree with water up to its chest. The reporters said they rescued it, but what worthless excuse for a human being does that to a dog? Even the lowest of humans would at least unchain the dog. You have to be subhuman to keep it chained up.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »
No matter what he does, Trump will be criticized.  That's a foregone conclusion.  If he goes to Texas he'll be a grandstander.  If he doesn't go, he'll be heartless.  Same thing happened with Bush in NOLA.  I recall telling my wife as we watched AF-1 swoop over NOLA:  I said if he lands he'll be accused of being a grandstander.  If he doesn't he'll be a callous bastard.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
No matter what he does, Trump will be criticized.  That's a foregone conclusion.  If he goes to Texas he'll be a grandstander.  If he doesn't go, he'll be heartless.  Same thing happened with Bush in NOLA.  I recall telling my wife as we watched AF-1 swoop over NOLA:I said if he lands he'll be accused of being a grandstander.  If he doesn't he'll be a callous bastard.

Middle ground?

Fly to Fort Hood. That would put him at 200 miles from Houston.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »
Speedy, the track now looks like whatever's left of Harvey is going to go right through your neighborhood on Thursday.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 09:31:19 PM »
Meh. Not sweating it.
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 10:03:35 PM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/27/yes-the-floating-fire-ant-colonies-in-houston-are-real/

Yeah, it's a thing. Saw it in Lafayette, LA as a kid during hurricanes there.
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/08/27/yes-the-floating-fire-ant-colonies-in-houston-are-real/

I seem to recall someone telling me you could pour soap or something like that on them and they would sink.  Never tried it myself.  But I don't remember seeing one that big either. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 12:42:49 AM »

I wondered when that would make the news.
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:57 AM »

*expletive deleted*it I've seen it during "normal" heavy rains down there. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »
We get the heavy rains up at my corner of the state today, pretty much all day @ 100% T-Storms. IOW, just another Louisiana day.
MOLON LABE!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 01:42:29 AM »
Just as a reminder, Mayor "Chocolate City" is still in prison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Nagin

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.