Author Topic: Shreveport VA patients have a backlog to see outside providers  (Read 635 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/28/va-has-new-wait-list-problem-backlog-to-see-outside-doctor.html

The referral process sounds somewhat cumbersome, but I am left to wonder: just how available are the outside providers for referrals in Shreveport?  I know that in the greater Seattle area, it can take weeks to get some referral or specialty appointments merely because the providers are so busy.  Regardless of the payment source, you can't make the timely referrals if there is no availability.  So I wonder how much of this issue is the 'fault' of the VA versus the realities of the local medical community.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Shreveport VA patients have a backlog to see outside providers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
I'm not a vet and have no experience with that system but when I needed an EN&T guy it took a week or two for me to get an appt after I was referred.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Shreveport VA patients have a backlog to see outside providers
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
From my experience, it hasn't been real bad here. Overton Brooks VA Hospital had a broken machine used for some radiography test (don't remember for what, my gastro/esophagus issues IIRC) and sent me "outside" to get it done. fairly quick and easy. The "outside" hospital sent me a bill for like $13 and I laughed at them. I reminded them that my visit was 100% covered by the VA and they needed to deal with them. They said it was my job to do that so I said "turn it into collections. That will eat up way more than the $13 I don't owe!" and then I hung up. Haven't heard from them since.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!