Author Topic: Snubnose IWB Holsters?  (Read 852 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Snubnose IWB Holsters?
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
For those who carry smaller revolvers, what do you like for IWB? For my Ruger LCR,  I currently have a Simply Rugged holster. It's leather with belt cutouts for OWB (where it works great) but just has kinda weak leather "snap loops" to convert it to IWB. I've never been comfortable with it IWB, not so much for firearm retention as for "holster staying where it should" retention.

I also have a Simply Rugged pocket holster, which works well in some situations, but is also not always ideal. It fits fine in cargo shorts cargo pockets, but is kinda hard to get to, and I don't like to put it in the "regular" pockets on pants because it gets too uncomfortable sitting, etc..

So what's a comfortable IWB holster for the LCR or similar? While I like Kydex and hybrids for my larger handguns, I'm kinda thinking all leather for the LCR (but am open to anything). Thoughts appreciated.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Snubnose IWB Holsters?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
I've only tried IWB with my J-frame with a holster I modified with a longer belt clip for AWIB.  It works, but is not comfortable when seated.  Otherwise, I use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. 

That said, it was uncomfortable because I gained weight after getting the holster and I didn't replace my pants (didn't gain that much, just enough to remove some of the j-frame's worth of excess space.  I've since lost that weight, so I might try it again.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »
For those who carry smaller revolvers, what do you like for IWB? For my Ruger LCR,  I currently have a Simply Rugged holster. It's leather with belt cutouts for OWB (where it works great) but just has kinda weak leather "snap loops" to convert it to IWB. I've never been comfortable with it IWB, not so much for firearm retention as for "holster staying where it should" retention.

I also have a Simply Rugged pocket holster, which works well in some situations, but is also not always ideal. It fits fine in cargo shorts cargo pockets, but is kinda hard to get to, and I don't like to put it in the "regular" pockets on pants because it gets too uncomfortable sitting, etc..

So what's a comfortable IWB holster for the LCR or similar? While I like Kydex and hybrids for my larger handguns, I'm kinda thinking all leather for the LCR (but am open to anything). Thoughts appreciated.

IWB, Galco Triton works for me.  Basic Kydex(y) wrap around taco type, with belt clip or optional belt loop.  Fits S&W 642 and Charter Undercover very well.  (Did not fit Taurus 605 well at all, despite "Taurus 85" being on the comparability list for it.)  Don't know if they make that for the LCR.  (Looks like they do.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
I used a Don Hume one (leather) that seemed fine.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
Even when I carried a snubbie, fitted holsters for that specific model always seemed to be the best.  I was usually using leather back then. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »
I've got 2 of these. One for a full size 1911 and one for a J-frame.
http://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/holsters/concealable-holsters/inside-waistband/model-3s-pistol-pocket-inside-waistband-holster-10824.html#sz=12&start=50
I like them.
Only problem I have is that the arthritis in my back and hip have really started to bother me when I carry IWB.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams