Author Topic: Miscalculation  (Read 803 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Miscalculation
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »
I patted myself on the back for saving money by not turning on the gas furnace that heats the basement.  Sure, the basement is frigid, but I'm saving $50 or so on the gas bill.

Right.

Just got this month's electric bill, the first real winter electric bill (electric heat upstairs).  Went up by $118 over last year.  And we're only using--and heating--one of the three bedrooms regularly.  :facepalm:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Miscalculation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
D'oh!

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:06:05 PM »
I patted myself on the back for saving money by not turning on the gas furnace that heats the basement.  Sure, the basement is frigid, but I'm saving $50 or so on the gas bill.

Right.

Just got this month's electric bill, the first real winter electric bill (electric heat upstairs).  Went up by $118 over last year.  And we're only using--and heating--one of the three bedrooms regularly.  :facepalm:

Heat rises.  The heat you thought you were wasting in the basement was warming the entire house.

But I think you figured that out.

Chris

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »
And in Illinois, nat gas is ~1/3 to 1/2 the cost of electricity per joule. So there is no winning with electricity unless you have a high efficiency heat pump coupled to a geothermal system.

Illinois electric rate ~$0.12/kwhr (including all taxes, fees, service charges, waste disposal fund, etc).
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »
Same down here.  My natural gas heat on my central air is much much cheaper than my last place with an electric heater.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
Since electric bills come in kw*hr measurements,
gas bills come in Btu measurements,
and scientists/engineers use joules (megajoule MJ is 1,000,000 joules),

I made a little chart for you to help calculate the exchange ratio of each unit type.

kWhr  10
btu     9.5
MJ      36

kWhr  10.6
btu     10
MJ      38

kWhr  2.8
btu     2.6
MJ      10
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
I know that gas is cheaper, I didn't realize how much the basement heat was impacting the upstairs heat. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:29:49 PM »
Is the basement decent?  Maybe move the bedroom down there?

My grandfolks, after they sold the farm and moved into the "big city," would sleep in the basement during the hottest days of summer before they got central A/C.  Heck, most things seemed to happen in the basement, even had a second kitchen kinda rigged around the perimeter, near the washer & dryer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton