Author Topic: What age were you when you fired your first gun?  (Read 5634 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: What age were you when you fired your first gun?
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »
5'ish, my Dad's winchester model 270 .22 loaded with .22 shorts.  Like others he had to hold the front up for me.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 10:19:59 AM »
When I lived in NC as a young kid, many of the neighborhood boys had  BB and pellet rifles.  When I moved to TN (8yo through 14yo), shotguns and 22lr rifles were common in my 'hood.  Nobody blinked when we walked through the hood with guns to the woods on the edge of the subdivision to do a little plinking.

Chris

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »
Pellet gun - probably 8 or so.
Firearm - 25. Location, location, location...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 12:52:26 PM »
BB gun- around 7

.22 lr.- 11 or 12

I actually got my bb gun when I was 4 or 5. I had a hard time cocking it. I wasn't allowed to load it until I was older. Using it as a toy before a weapon was probably not a good idea.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »
Probably around 6 or seven years old for my first BB gun. My grandpa had a Red Ryder that Dad would take me out in the backyard to shoot. Then I graduated to 22 rifles and a 22 H&R pistol that now resides in my room. I got a pellet rifle of my own on Christmas Eve when I was 8, and was allowed to shoot it unsupervised when I was 10.

Although we always had guns around the house and I was allowed to handle them with permission, we never shot much except for my Dad's 9mm pistol which he kept in practice with.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 01:14:53 PM »
5, it was a Stevens .22lr rifle.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »
10 maybe, dad's old Sears & Roebuck .22 rifle.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 07:43:59 PM »
dad got me started when i was 8 with a ar-7 .22

i was shooting his handguns by the time the month was out. first pistol: HK USP .40 S&W
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »
I first fired my first gun was when I was 11.  Rather than allow me to buy a BB gun, Dad brought home a Winchester Model 75 Target, various accessories, and memberships in the NRA and Davey Crockett Junior Rifle Club.  The next morning I was on a formal firing line learning to shoot 50 foot indoor matches, all though of BB guns banished.  And yes, whatever the law may have said, it was my rifle.  It and all my gear and ammo stayed in my closet from day one. 

My first time shooting was six months earlier with Dad, an uncle and some cousins at a dirt and gravel quarry.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »

One of Dads co-workers had stopped by in the late evening and had a black powder pistol with him. Somebody got the "Let Mikey try it" type of bright idea and before I knew it I was standing in front of a target hanging from a tree limb, holding an awkwardly formed firearm. I pointed it "downrange" one handed like you saw in old movies while the co-worker cocked it. I took aim and pulled the trigger back, which in retrospect had to have positively intercontinental amounts of creep, and, almost without warning, ka-POW!!.

I managed to hold on to the dragon, just. After the smoke cleared, I was mildly pleased that I had at least blown the target down and it did have a couple of holes in it. OTOH I did decline any further shots, and retreated to my room to collect myself and let the ringing in my ears to subside.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 09:13:05 AM »
BB pistol: 18
.30-30: 18
Pistol: Honestly can't remember.  =(  After 18, though... I think it was a Beretta 96, but... ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 12:48:42 AM »
First real pistol was a Smith & Wesson 622 at the local range here in Mesa.  It was probably almost three years ago, making me about 25.
First rifle was a friend's AR-15, fired at the same range, about six months later.
The first actual firearm I purchased was a Glock 19C, which I still have.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 08:00:11 AM »
BB gun at 3.  A .410 shotgun and a .22 rifle(which I still have) at age 5 on the same day.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »
I don't remember.  I had a cap gun revolver when I was probably 3.  It used the paper roll caps and would pop stuff in your eye.  I loved it. =)  I also had a lever-action pop gun about the same time.

I'm sure I shot a .22 on a few occasions by the time I was 5, but I don't have any special memory of it.  When I was a year or two older, I got a Winchester single shot .410.
For entertainment purposes only.