Author Topic: Will the "Peak Oil" Pinheads FINALLY Shut the Heck Up?  (Read 18268 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Will the "Peak Oil" Pinheads FINALLY Shut the Heck Up?
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »
The other issue β€” a frustratingly practical one β€” is the matter of making the turbines small enough to fit comfortably in the car and still provide sufficient energy to keep it moving. Still, Stevens expects that he can have a prototype by 2014.

Screw that! Go big with those mofos! Also with that much energy on tap doesn't that push the power to weight ratio far enough to make flying cars practical?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »
Maybe I should post an article on the hundreds of air separation plant around the world that suck in air and separate it into pure nitrogen and oxygen for use in industry.  How soon will we us it all up?   =)

you can't "use up" o2, as long as we have plants.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 01:38:15 AM »
Screw that! Go big with those mofos! Also with that much energy on tap doesn't that push the power to weight ratio far enough to make flying cars practical?

I think those are called airplanes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
I think those are called airplanes.

"Flying car" needs to be able to take off and land vertically, cruise around on wheels in the streets, and fit in the same parking space that would hold a crew cab dually.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
"Flying car" needs to be able to take off and land vertically, cruise around on wheels in the streets, and fit in the same parking space that would hold a crew cab dually.

I think those are called business jets.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »
you can't "use up" o2, as long as we have plants.
Yeah, cause air separation plants can be used to make oxygen and nitrogen that you can then mix together to breath.   =D
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »

An Osprey?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
Flying cars: Because people don't have enough trouble avoid accidents on a two dimensional plane.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »
Flying cars: Because people don't have enough trouble avoid accidents on a two dimensional plane.

Actually, one should consider the possibility that operating in three dimensions gives one an extra dimension to move in, thus possibly reducing the chances of midair collisions. 
Now, telling which stick is the cyclic and the collective, that might be tricky ........ :facepalm: [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
Actually, one should consider the possibility that operating in three dimensions gives one an extra dimension to move in, thus possibly reducing the chances of midair collisions. 

I see what you're saying, but I don't believe that most auto accidents could be avoided by having more escape routes - in most cases I don't think people see an accident coming with enough time to react at all.  This "not seeing" the other car will be more problematic when we throw another dimension in the mix.  Maybe technology can help, but Just IMO, not a good idea.

Throw into the mix the fact that if a mechanical fault happens, you can't just coast to the side of the road - if you run out of fuel you might destroy someones house when you fall from the sky; I think the sheer amount of regulation and idiotproofing required to make it passiably safe would both be very intrusive into one's personal affairs and very expenisve.  Not a world I want to live in.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »
Yeah .... I knew I was reaching when I posted that.   Seemed like a good idea at the time.  [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »

Pun intended  ???

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2011, 02:23:19 PM »
Pun intended  ???

:lol:

Kinda?  I didn't recognize it when I thought it out, but as soon as I typed the word "Plane", I saw it and laughed.  Funny how the brain works sometimes.  [and doesn't others!]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »
An Osprey?

I'd love to have an Osprey.....esp. to fly low over Prius-es and flip them with the prop wash....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »

I can't wait for the Korean driving school.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »
I'd love to have an Osprey.....esp. to fly low over Prius-es and flip them with the prop wash....  =D

The exhaust is hot enough to start fires.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »

The majority of people on the road need to stay the *expletive deleted*ck out of my sky...they really don't belong on the roads, either.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »
The exhaust is hot enough to start fires.

More icing on my smug-cake..... =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »
More icing on my smug-cake..... =D

IIRC, couldn't the Harrier clear small trees with just the right combination of crazy maneuvers and creative thrust vectoring?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2011, 11:57:35 PM »
IIRC, couldn't the Harrier clear small trees with just the right combination of crazy maneuvers and creative thrust vectoring?

If it wasn't ladden with ordnance ....maybe.
I recall reading an article on Harriers after the British re-took the Falkland Islands back about 30 years ago.  The Air Group Commander, responding to a question about the Harrier "Viffing" (Vectoring In Forward Flight) against Argentine fighters, said they didn't do it because they lost momentum and it was hard to make it up while the enemy aircraft were still engaging them.
I am not sure "crazy maneuvering and creative thrust vectoring" helps extend the life of Harrier pilots very much ......  =D