Author Topic: The Lost Drone  (Read 18407 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Lost Drone
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
Haven't seen a topic on this yet. What do you all think about what happened and what should be done?

Obviously there's way more going on than what's in the news, but from what I've been reading, I'm interested in two things:

1) How the Iranians got it. We say it was a malfunction, they say they used electronic interception. I don't for a second believe the Iranians have the tech for that, but I could believe one of the major powers, that does have the tech, could be helping out behind the scenes.

2) Why is it still in one piece? I suppose we'll never know if our guys were able to fry the internal electronics remotely before the Iranians got it, however there's still the airframe itself. I understand that Obama nixed several Pentagon plans that were presented for destruction of the airframe on Iranian soil. I read Obama doesn't want to do that because he doesn't want it seen as an act of war. However the Iranians have already said the drone use itself was an act of war, so that's already on the table. Again, there's no knowing about how much info on the design is already in the international espionage community. However, an intact, good condition airframe leaves the thing open for stuff like spectro analysis of its physical properties, which could lead to things like learning the composition and percentages of materials in the stealth coating.

So lots of stuff we'll probably never know about, but kind of a bummer we couldn't have destroyed it while it was still in a more remote area more amenable to explosions that result in minimal civilian casualties. Then again, this could all be like that episode of JAG, where they let the Cubans capture a plane with a virus in its software.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: The Lost Drone
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:58:36 AM »
So lots of stuff we'll probably never know about, but kind of a bummer we couldn't have destroyed it while it was still in a more remote area more amenable to explosions that result in minimal civilian casualties.

Drone overflights are something folks may make talking points over. Bombing Iran OTOH raises the bar quite a bit.

We know Iran funds/equips *expletive deleted*it insurgents in Iraq, and look the other way aside from grumbling.
They know we do overflights and espionage, and look the other way aside from grumbling.

Raising it to actual nation-state bombings would make things a bit more hairy. We can't afford another war at the moment.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06:22 AM »
Who is to say that we aren't still using it to spy on them? [tinfoil]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
It just seems like it would be a good idea to have a couple ounces of C4 in a few strategic places on those drones for circumstances like this.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:09:29 AM »
It just seems like it would be a good idea to have a couple ounces of C4 in a few strategic places on those drones for circumstances like this.

This
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
I'm surprised it doesn't have internal shielding in a completely isolated set of circuitry, that once the craft enters hostile air space, a 30 second countdown timer is constantly refreshed as long as the system is considered stable and in contact with its control center.

Lose contact with the communications nest for more than X seconds?  The craft initiates an internal destruction algorithm.  Format all storage systems, initiate small thermite charges over sensitive tech, drop ordnance in inert mode, dead-glide to a landing/crash site (or auger straight-vertical into the ground below it to destroy the airframe).

Yeah, there's still the stealth composite materials, and airframe design.

But the above would mitigate a LOT of potential security risk.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »
Trojan horse, perhaps?

Stuxnet 2.0
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »
. . . I could believe one of the major powers, that does have the tech, could be helping out behind the scenes.
Do we use any Chinese microchips in the on-board electronics? 

Trojan horse, perhaps?

Stuxnet 2.0
That would be a really smart thing to do. I wonder if we have anyone smart enough to do it in a position of authority . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »
Gort.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 01:17:08 PM »
There was a caller on Rush Limbaugh's show last week who knew a lot about these drones. She described some of the advanced technological gear on the drone (without going into too much detail), and it was amazing.

She questioned how the Iranians could have found the drone in the first place, since it uses stealth technology and the Iranians don't have radar sophisticated enough to pick it up. She said that if it experienced a power loss it would (or could) glide to a landing. She also questioned why the black box wouldn't be emitting a signal our people would have picked up.

I don't know anything about these drones, but she made a good case for it not just being found by the Iranians. Maybe the Chinese are assisting Iran, or maybe the US wanted it found.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
I'm surprised it doesn't have internal shielding in a completely isolated set of circuitry, that once the craft enters hostile air space, a 30 second countdown timer is constantly refreshed as long as the system is considered stable and in contact with its control center.

Lose contact with the communications nest for more than X seconds?  The craft initiates an internal destruction algorithm.  Format all storage systems, initiate small thermite charges over sensitive tech, drop ordnance in inert mode, dead-glide to a landing/crash site (or auger straight-vertical into the ground below it to destroy the airframe).

Yeah, there's still the stealth composite materials, and airframe design.

But the above would mitigate a LOT of potential security risk.

but add the risk of an inconvenient boom near our guys by accident
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »
We say it was a malfunction, they say they used electronic interception. I don't for a second believe the Iranians have the tech for that, but I could believe one of the major powers, that does have the tech, could be helping out behind the scenes.
Is 'electronic interception' code for 'jamming'? Because jamming is easy when you have government resources. It just takes the proper equipment and a strong power source. Satellites are many miles away (hundreds?) so overwhelming their signal with your (garbage) signal is not too hard.
http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/drone-wars-not-quite-0

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »
Jammnig signals aren't that hard to create. Just throw enough broad spectrum "noise" out at a high enough power level and you've pretty well got it covered.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »
I'm surprised that the drone didn't just auger in from a bug in it's software  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:53:15 PM »
Jammnig signals aren't that hard to create. Just throw enough broad spectrum "noise" out at a high enough power level and you've pretty well got it covered.

That's referred to as brute force jamming, but it doesn't work against some of our more agile and evasion transmission methods. Those require a lot more finesse in order to block, presuming you can even locate the signal to start with.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »
I think the "war" has already begun with Iran.  Who do you think has made these explosions, a killing of a top nuclear scientist, the computer virus, and so forth?  The war will be Obama's bid for re-election.

I have always wondered if our drones and military experience these lapses in GPS satalite coverage like my GPS does?  Only seems to happen when you actually need it as opposed to rolling along the interstate with next turn in 42.5 miles...
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
I think the "war" has already begun with Iran.  Who do you think has made these explosions, a killing of a top nuclear scientist, the computer virus, and so forth?  ...

Israel.  :P

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
Maybe the AI on the drone decided to defect...?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »
IF Iran has an intact device, one would have to conclude someone other than the US grabbed control.  I'll leave it to the reader to assemble a list of suspects.  Not a good omen.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
My take on it:

1.  The Chinese hacked the signal and took control. The US has already acknowledged that other drones have been hacked. 
2.  According to another article I read, that drone is designed to find a suitable place to land when contact is lost.  If true, that would explain why it is mostly in one piece if it wasn't already "hijacked."
3.  The Iranians don't need to see the drone on radar.  Once it is hacked, the controller knows where it is and where he landed it.  Then, a simple phone call will direct the Iranians to it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
I was always curious how they would prevent these remote drones from being hacked.  It would seem to be a primary requirement for use against any half way tech advanced country.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 09:53:11 PM »
1) How the Iranians got it. We say it was a malfunction, they say they used electronic interception. I don't for a second believe the Iranians have the tech for that, but I could believe one of the major powers, that does have the tech, could be helping out behind the scenes.

The Avtobaza systems the Russians supplied can supposedly do this.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
The Avtobaza systems the Russians supplied can supposedly do this.

Jam? Yes. I think that's at least possible.

Hack? I doubt it. I would suspect that the encryption the drone uses is rather strong, and there's probably some sort of electronic version of a one-time pad that is synched before launch that makes it unbreakable.

The whole thing is rather suspicious. The drone looks surprisingly intact. The whole "find a suitable place to land" programming makes some sense, but in an enemy country? I'd think that while it might have a database of suitable flat places to put down in an emergency, I doubt it has vision systems, radar, etc. that can actually pick out a completely tree, rock, or debris-free path to land on.

And why is Iran hiding the undercarriage from view?

- Because we did lose a drone, but it's smashed, and this is a mockup for propaganda purposes, and they don't have reliable intel on what the undercarriage looks like, and don't want it called out as a fake. And maybe Obama was just calling their bluff by asking for it back?

- If it is real, it's covered because something about the undercarriage would give away how they got the drone down?

Like Fitz, I too wonder if this is some sort of ploy to get Iran/Russia/China infected with 'Stuxnet 2.0'.  >:D

There's major stuff here in the story that just... does... not... add... up... Both on Iran's and Uncle Sugar's side of things. And it's just a gut feeling, but when things "get complicated" I'll give the advantage to the more advanced and technically savvy nation.

Hell, if I were No-Such-Agency, I'd be ordering fake drones, and dropping/crashing them all over enemy countries. I'd fill them with all sorts of gonzo head-scratcher stuff, like a tube of magnets and wires where the jet turbine should be, tanks of liquid carbon dioxide, and fill it with fiber optics, and instead of microchips, have junk circuit boards with little crystals mounted in them that I'd gathered up from the Smithsonian gift shop's "box o rocks".  Add in a mix of fake squiggly alien writing on some of the parts too with a mix of bogus U.S. NSN's. >:D
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »
Hell, if I were No-Such-Agency, I'd be ordering fake drones, and dropping/crashing them all over enemy countries. I'd fill them with all sorts of gonzo head-scratcher stuff, like a tube of magnets and wires where the jet turbine should be, tanks of liquid carbon dioxide, and fill it with fiber optics, and instead of microchips, have junk circuit boards with little crystals mounted in them that I'd gathered up from the Smithsonian gift shop's "box o rocks".  Add in a mix of fake squiggly alien writing on some of the parts too with a mix of bogus U.S. NSN's.

I like the way you think.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »
Plus a nice stencil on the bottom:

If found, please drop in the nearest mailbox and return to Area 51.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.