Author Topic: Cop tasers 10 year old boy for...  (Read 17917 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: Cop tasers 10 year old boy for...
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »
but also damn sure it doesn't always happen

you don't get enough of your reality from youtube obviously >:D

Yeah,  I need to start watching Youtube for more than gun stuff and funny clips, huh?  ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
Hey Skid, I'm USMA Class of 91.  Not all of those booted for Honor violations were a shame, and at least a few of those tossed for toleration were.

It's kind of funny... people come on a thread about an idiot who shoud be punished for at least negligence if not recklessness or even criminal behavior, and suddenly anyone who wears a badge is just a state-sponsored criminal. So I guess as a prosecutor, I was probably worse than a cop, because I filed charges, got indictments (everyone knows a good prosecutor could get an indictment on anyone since the prosecutor decides what evidence gets presented), and used the tricks in the law and the system to rack up convictions for my political future.   ;

I guess I'm not quite jaded enough...yet. I know there are bad cops, and bad lawyers, and bad judges, etc...  But I also know it's not all of them
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2012, 11:04:41 PM »
Well, the first step is to admit the problem =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »
Well, the first step is to admit the problem =D

and often the next is to get the right meds for it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »

Q:  are people generally charged with assault/battery for doing something accidental?  Or is it left to the civil side?

If the actions that led to the "accident" were criminal (assault), then Yes (or they should be).

How about I just go on schoolyard and start pointing a taser at kids for fun ?  =|

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
If the actions that led to the "accident" were criminal (assault), then Yes (or they should be).

How about I just go on schoolyard and start pointing a taser at kids for fun ?  =|

let's see, this accident involved unholstering, removing the safety, pointing at a student, applying finger, and squeezing the trigger.  on the positive side, his aim seems excellent, as he hit the one and only smart alec squarely in the chest.  even as an "accident" (as in, "i thought i removed the cartridge".) the negligence piles up.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
Chris: As a prosecuter, you're paid to win cases, not seek out justice. If you came upon evidence that would hurt your prosecution or help clear the defendant, would/did you turn that evidence over to the defense?....or just keep your mouth shut?

Considering how many cases in Texas have been overturned for that reason recently, you can see the flaw in the system....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
I'm down with the cop being an idiot, and it's a certainty that he won't be fired -- which IMHO is the only appropriate response to such blatant stupidity.

But there's something else bothering me. The article says the suit was brought by a guardian ad litem for the kid. I thought courts appointed guardians ad litem to protect the hypothetical rights of unborn children. (And I am not arguing about whether or not an actual fetus is or is not a "person" in the eyes of the law, I am thinking specifically about an estate that has been dragging through a probate court for 60+ years, in which a guardian ad litem was appointed to represent the potential interests of an entire unborn and unconceived generation of heirs.) Chris, how does a 10-year old kid get to have a guardian ad litem?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
On my phone...I'll ansewr when I get  home later on my PC...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »
At a meeting...boring. Tried to research this case, with no luck. Don't know why this boy has a GAL.  In Ohio, a court can appoint a GAL in any case where there is a concern about a parent acting in a child's best interest.  Mainly happens in child custody cases, but in other situations as well, like criminal/delinquency cases where the parents is the victim.  Quick research shows New Mexico is similar. It could be that the boy is in foster care, or his parents could be involved in a custody battle.  These kinds of cases are generally confidential, so it would be difficult for us to find out.

As to seekers question, I was fortunate to work for a prosecutor who believed the job was to seek justice, and not win.  Many times I did turn over evidence that helped the defense.  I like to think I would have anyways...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »
As to seekers question, I was fortunate to work for a prosecutor who believed the job was to seek justice, and not win.  Many times I did turn over evidence that helped the defense.  I like to think I would have anyways...

Glad to hear.....lately, that hasn't been the case with many prosecuters in Texas....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.