Author Topic: Any Guesses on the 19 Executive Actions? What we should be most worried about?  (Read 18300 times)

wacki

• friend
Any Guesses on the 19 Executive Actions?  What we should be most worried about?

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/biden-guns-executive-actions-86187_Page2.html

My guess? 
Making the CDC part of a lobby
Banning the imports of Siagas

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
I can't say that an import ban is all that worrisome, as ou just slap on a few complaint parts and you are good to do.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I can't say that an import ban is all that worrisome, as ou just slap on a few complaint parts and you are good to do.

I'm still in the "lots of sound, little substance" camp on the upcoming EO's, however, acknowledging I could be wrong, and playing Devil's Advocate here...

The entire concept of the semi-automatic firearm is on the chopping block here. What happened before under Bush I and Clinton was the "features ban" etc. The way one gets "compliant parts" around an outright import ban on everything is... well, just make it here. So at best, we'd have to wait years while factories and tooling are set up here, assuming the related U.S. agencies aren't directed to be as hostile and foot-dragging on them getting set up.

If he goes that far, we may have to wonder (or hope) over what Russia might do in retaliation if ammo and AK-pattern rifles and Wolf/Barnual/Tula ammo supplies are cut off from import entirely.

Another thing, Mec Gar of Italy is the #1 OEM supplier of magazines for the majority of semi-auto pistols. Not to mention Glock, XD etc. are not made here. Springfield Armory uses lots of offshore Brazilian castings...

If they go for imports, it won't simply be an issue of milling out AK magwells and putting in a Tapco G2 trigger group anymore.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
I wonder what hk & fn might do
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
I wonder what hk & fn might do

Aren't most of their sales police/military anyway? I'd bet that any civilian ban wold not extend to police/military purchase.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

slingshot

• friend
It might be a good time to buy that H&K. :D
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

HankB

• friend
It wouldn't surprise me to see him do something affecting imports, and he could probably order prosecution of those who fail NICS checks - from what I understand, only a very small percentage of prohibited persons who attempt to buy guns and are properly rejected by the NICS check are actually prosecuted; an EO could change that.

He could also have the Feds step in with Federal prosecution of prohibited persons who commit state crimes involving firearms, but that would clog Federal courts.

He could try to define a broad class of semis as destructive devices, but given current law, that would be difficult for firearms with a bore less than 0.5" . . . EOs that apply domestically outside the Executive Branch have to have enabling legislation, and I just don't think it's there for anything wide reaching; we'll see.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
It wouldn't surprise me to see him do something affecting imports, and he could probably order prosecution of those who fail NICS checks - from what I understand, only a very small percentage of prohibited persons who attempt to buy guns and are properly rejected by the NICS check are actually prosecuted; an EO could change that.

He could also have the Feds step in with Federal prosecution of prohibited persons who commit state crimes involving firearms, but that would clog Federal courts.

He could try to define a broad class of semis as destructive devices, but given current law, that would be difficult for firearms with a bore less than 0.5" . . . EOs that apply domestically outside the Executive Branch have to have enabling legislation, and I just don't think it's there for anything wide reaching; we'll see.
EO outside of legislation, or even directly contrary to, has been implemented by Obama (long gun reporting), so, I disagree, I wouldn't put anything past el presidente

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
EO outside of legislation, or even directly contrary to, has been implemented by Obama (long gun reporting), so, I disagree, I wouldn't put anything past el presidente

IIRC that EO was upheld by the courts.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
An import ban seems within his power, and as AJ points out would hurt a lot more than just my beloved Ak's.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

T.O.M.

• friend
Right now, I'm worried that he may look at New York, see that as a big win, and do the same basic thing as an EO.  Why?  What's he got to lose.  If he does impoase a ban, and says "turn them in by 1/31 or face prosecution" the people would have only two options to challenge the EO. 

Option #1...get arrested and convicted for violating the EO.  Appeal.  Lose the appeal,  Appeal to SCOTUS.  The process could take years, and you may sit in prison while the wheels of justice inch along.

Option #2...a gun owner files suit in Federal Court seeking a declaritory judgement that the EO is unconstitutional.  Process takes months.  Say Owner wins, Feds will appeal.  More months go by.  Say Owner wins the appeal, Feds will appeal to SCOTUS.  All the Feds would need to do is get one justice to either find that (1) a mag that holds more than 7 rounds is not in the common use, or (2) Heller was wrong.  Even if SCOTUS says EO is out because of Heller, we're two + years down the road, and Obama is getting ready to hit the public speaking circuit.

Meanwhile, we all have to choose...obey and give up our mags, or become criminals/rebels.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Meanwhile, we all have to choose...obey and give up our mags, or become criminals/rebels.

Sheriff Bourne: ...a man learns all the details of a situation like ours... well... then he has a choice.
Mal: I don't believe he does.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
After that (long string of expletives) Roberts hosed us on Obamacare for purely political reasons I don't trust SCOTUS to not reverse Heller.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
After that (long string of expletives) Roberts hosed us on Obamacare for purely political reasons I don't trust SCOTUS to not reverse Heller.

They don't need to reverse Heller. Scalia sold us down the river with his statement that the RKBA is subject tio "reasonable" regulation. That's NOT what the 2nd Amendment says.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
They don't need to reverse Heller. Scalia sold us down the river with his statement that the RKBA is subject tio "reasonable" regulation. That's NOT what the 2nd Amendment says.

If you look at the last 200+ years, every one of the BOR is subject to some level of "reasonable" regulation.  That being said, I would have been more happy if they applied strict scrutiny to gun laws.  IMO, that would have opened the door to getting rid of most of them.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

T.O.M.

• friend
I'd forgotten about Scalia's statements...so add anither fear, that a capacity limit is found to be a reasonable restriction.  If that happens, we may be lucky to walk away with 10 round limits...

Anyone want to sell me a revolver?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Sheriff Bourne: ...a man learns all the details of a situation like ours... well... then he has a choice.
Mal: I don't believe he does.

I aim to misbehave  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
I aim to misbehave  >:D

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

T.O.M.

• friend
NBC news previewed tomorrow's pronouncement from on high...sounds like what we've epected.  Push for AWB,10 round limit on mags, universal background checks through congress, mentioned increased penalties for NICS fraud.  We'll have to see what tomorrow holds.

Don't mean to sound relieved, but I reall feared a push to follow New York with7 rounds. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Pray tell, how could any of these things be done via EO?

T.O.M.

• friend
The story specifically stated that he was going to push Congress to do the first three. 

For now... [tinfoil]
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
What about an EO import restriction on materials destined for the firearms industry?

Tooling, metal stock, machinery, etc.

T.O.M.

• friend
That may be too obvious a move on all guns, and at least publicly he's not out for all guns.  He's just out to stop the cray people from geting high capacity magazines or buying a gun without a background check.  Right?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Nick1911

• Administrator
What about an EO import restriction on materials destined for the firearms industry?

Tooling, metal stock, machinery, etc.

I don't know how exactly that could be controlled.  There is far, far too much industry that relies on that tooling domestically to shut down imports on all of it.  And enough of that is produced domestically that while increasing the costs, wouldn't be the death knell.