Author Topic: Feds Sieze Land Rover  (Read 18018 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Feds Sieze Land Rover
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »
Very brief story, so there may be more background, but kinda ridiculous to firstly, just come and seize it and the others without prior notification so the owners could have options, secondly for showing up apparently in battle rattle.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/08/01/feds-raid-nc-womans-home-seize-land-rover
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bob F.

• friend
Re: Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:35:21 PM »
Executive Order???
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
Wow.That's rough.
A good use of manpower though.Efficient.

Glad we don't have tailpipe sniffers here.

Places to move to;Georgia,nope-rampant ebola,North Carolina,nope-grey market emission Stasi,Texas,Arizona,New Mexico-border situation.Florida-ummm, :-X
jeff w

I like onions!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
Yet there are those that will question and mock the idea that tyranny has arrived.

Maybe the landrover didn't meet the requisite number of tax dollars stolen from 'merkins to produce.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »
Yet there are those that will question and mock the idea that tyranny has arrived.

Maybe the landrover didn't meet the requisite number of tax dollars stolen from 'merkins to produce.

It snuck in sublty, quietly, inch by inch, over the last 82 years .......... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »
Brinkley said the agents didn't even know the reasoning behind the seizure because the case was sealed, but told her it might be related to the vehicle failing to meet Clean Air Act emissions standards.

"There were 40 seized that day all over the United States,"

:O
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 12:27:20 AM »

I'm not saying it's a Good Law, but the law was broken and these people got busted.

These were allegedly newer trucks that had vins from 25 y.o. trucks swapped onto them.  Many came through a single N.C. .importer.  They were brought in illegally, without dot safety features or proper papers, and anyone who bought into the idea that they could somehow leagally own a new defender simply by titling it as a series, and paying 60,000 dollars for the opportunity knew this was a possibility.

In the words of one "victim". "I came home from work to find an oil puddle in my driveway and a warrant nailed to my front door."
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:36:58 AM »
It was new and had an oil puddle?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 12:42:46 AM »
I'm not saying it's a Good Law, but the law was broken and these people got busted.

These were allegedly newer trucks that had vins from 25 y.o. trucks swapped onto them.  Many came through a single N.C. .importer.  They were brought in illegally, without dot safety features or proper papers, and anyone who bought into the idea that they could somehow leagally own a new defender simply by titling it as a series, and paying 60,000 dollars for the opportunity knew this was a possibility.

In the words of one "victim". "I came home from work to find an oil puddle in my driveway and a warrant nailed to my front door."

But hey, we needed a swat team to confiscate the vehicle?  Something private repossessors do all the time with two grease monkeys and a tow truck?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 12:55:53 AM »
But hey, we needed a swat team to confiscate the vehicle?  Something private repossessors do all the time with two grease monkeys and a tow truck?
Repossessors are grabbing the vehicle to get it back to the rightful owner. This is nothing more than armed robbery  done under the color of 'law' not passed by congress, but by administrators.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:40 AM »
Repossessors are grabbing the vehicle to get it back to the rightful owner. This is nothing more than armed robbery  done under the color of 'law' not passed by congress, but by administrators.

But police are the good guys, our friends.  :facepalm:
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »

The oil puddle was probably from the super eco friendly swat team van.

;/
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »

Did you not read the article?

This lady was driving a British car manufactured in the '80's.  What more punishment can we give her, a Reliant Robin?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »

From the video, this woman was the fifth owner of the vehicle. If there were any VIN swaps during the original import, how would she have known about them? Personally, I would have had no idea that this was an illegal vehicle (if it is in fact illegal) to own in the US. If it was a titled vehicle that I saw for sale and had a hankerin' to own, I would have bought it.

Ignorance of the law may not be an excuse, but it goes back to there being so many laws in our country that no one can know when they're breaking one. Another reason for them to have made a phone call, or at least for a guy in a suit to have shown up instead of an (apparently) tactical team.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
Oops

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/44/4476.asp

http://blog.caranddriver.com/exclusive-feds-declare-war-on-black-market-land-rover-defenders/
Maybe not

Well I for one am glad that our heroic border protectors have gotten our border so secure that they have time to track down something as banal as a fraudulently aged Land Rover.  Remember the bad old days when we used to worry about drugs, weapons, and people (many of them slaves) coming through the ports?  At least those problems have been solved.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 12:40:02 PM »

British
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
Well I for one am glad that our heroic border protectors have gotten our border so secure that they have time to track down something as banal as a fraudulently aged Land Rover.  Remember the bad old days when we used to worry about drugs, weapons, and people (many of them slaves) coming through the ports?  At least those problems have been solved.

So I'm still unclear if it's "fraudulent aging" or EPA regs, or both. As the woman stated in the video, the vehicle was modified to pass smog inspection, and as she stated, there is also not a need to even pass. Even in CA, we he have exclusions for vehicles over a certain age (I can't remember what) OR if a vehicle failed its smog check three times, it gets an exemption (I guess because by that time, the state got enough fee money out of the owner).

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »
So I'm still unclear if it's "fraudulent aging" or EPA regs, or both. As the woman stated in the video, the vehicle was modified to pass smog inspection, and as she stated, there is also not a need to even pass. Even in CA, we he have exclusions for vehicles over a certain age (I can't remember what) OR if a vehicle failed its smog check three times, it gets an exemption (I guess because by that time, the state got enough fee money out of the owner).

The feds are claiming that that's not actually a 1985 (or whatever) Land Rover.  It's a 2007 (or whatever).  The claim is that folks are taking new Defenders (which WOULD be subject to EPA and crash laws) and slapping the VIN's of older vehicles on them to get around EPA and NHTSA regs.  So "fraudulently aging" or making them seem older than they are.

My give a damn seems to be busted about the idea that folks might have snuck in a 2005 Land Rover as a 1985 one however.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
My give a damn seems to be busted about the idea that folks might have snuck in a 2005 Land Rover as a 1985 one however.

Yeah, seems like Wesley Mouch is the only guy that should care about that. More "money for the government" law enforcement versus actual law enforcement.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »
Any reason to send heavily armed JBT's into someone's house, eh?
Do you have pictures?  I don't mean to question the ladies narrative but wearing vests covers a great deal of ground. In the rural area I live in they all wear vests all the time and all warrant service they usually heavy up. It's kinda odd on occasion they folks are not friendly and the warrant service is for something minor but look and behold when they arrive they find folks up to more serious shenanigans.
Did they go in someone's house? Or did they grab her car from driveway?  Shoot even the high sunblock folk like you take your rides serious. Might shoot to protect their whip.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 06:06:07 PM »
The claim is that folks are taking new Defenders (which WOULD be subject to EPA and crash laws) and slapping the VIN's of older vehicles on them to get around EPA and NHTSA regs

That's pretty much the gist of the issue, there is a whole cottage industry sprung up around taking a newer Defender, with the diesel and all the product improvements, and putting the VIN number of an old Defender on it.

That said, I think it's rediculous for it to be against the law to import a newer Land Rover and own it but that's government bureaucracy for ya. The EPA has run amok.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
That's pretty much the gist of the issue, there is a whole cottage industry sprung up around taking a newer Defender, with the diesel and all the product improvements, and putting the VIN number of an old Defender on it.

That said, I think it's rediculous for it to be against the law to import a newer Land Rover and own it but that's government bureaucracy for ya. The EPA has run amok.

The whole EPA diesel hate thing is a big scam IMO. I don't know how they do it in other states, but in CA, we started having to get biannual smog inspections on diesels around five years ago. I've been in twice.

When I take my gasser in, they stick a sniffer in the tailpipe, measure various gases, check vacuum, and a bunch of other stuff with minimum standards to pass for gas outputs. When I take my diesel in, all they do is check the gas cap and look to see that I haven't disconnected anything. They take NO gas measurements and they're done in like five minutes. I take my vehicles to the same shop for smog. The charge for the diesel inspection is twice as much as for the gasser. If diesels are such evil polluters, why aren't they taking any gas readings?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 07:23:35 PM »
Did you not read the article?

This lady was driving a British car manufactured in the '80's.  What more punishment can we give her, a Reliant Robin?

Thank you for the laugh of the day.  =D
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch