Author Topic: Feds Sieze Land Rover  (Read 18016 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 09:51:13 AM »
Maybe, but it seems it would be more so to people specifically aware of and looking to buy that vehicle, hence first time registrants at time of import who were looking for a loophole. If the story is accurate as to the woman being the fifth registrant, well, if I'm buying a vehicle that the seller had legally registered, and DMV lets me legally register it, how am I to know it was illegally imported?

Maybe she just wanted a diesel Land Rover and didn't know that particular model was verboten. There are tons of diesel Mercedes and Volkswagens in the country of various vintages. I would have no idea if one of them were illegal if I bought it, especially if it had a valid pink slip.

Shes not being charged. If the car was stolen and resold she'd lose it even if she was unaware. At least the chiro might have assets to recover tiur costd from

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Re: Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
Wtf is dhs doing jerking off with ugly brit iron when we have a mfing immivasion on the border?

I expect, given druthers, most would prefer being paid to play with toys rather than herd illegals...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2014, 10:09:03 AM »
They are nothing more than armed tax collectors.
 There's no money in rounding up illegals.
7-11 was a part time job.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »
The DHS buying billions  of rounds of ammunition- it was for training purposes mmkay.

Sigh...  That was a standard indefinite delivery contract, subsection indefinite quantity. - "Provides for furnishing of an indefinite quantity, within stated limits, of specified supplies or services, during a specified contract period, with deliveries to be scheduled by the timely placement of orders upon the contractor."

Basically it was a deal between the DHS and the winner of the bid to provide up to that quantity at the contracted price for the duration of said contract.  There's no way they were going to buy all that ammo.  The way it was written they weren't even sure what calibers they were going to be using.

As for seizing the vehicles - they need to have their due process.  Sounds like they're not getting that, what with providing details about the case AFTER the deadline to appeal had passed, various rubber-stampings, honest disputes, etc...

Hell, just the confiscation without trial should catch the supreme court's interest.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »
Sigh...  That was a standard indefinite delivery contract, subsection indefinite quantity. - "Provides for furnishing of an indefinite quantity, within stated limits, of specified supplies or services, during a specified contract period, with deliveries to be scheduled by the timely placement of orders upon the contractor."

Basically it was a deal between the DHS and the winner of the bid to provide up to that quantity at the contracted price for the duration of said contract.  There's no way they were going to buy all that ammo.  The way it was written they weren't even sure what calibers they were going to be using.
Sigh...
Maybe I made too flip of a statement, seeing that it got a flip answer back.
And the whole purpose of the DHS is?
They seem to be heavy on harassing and spying on citizens who are going about their own business and pretty light on securing borders and catch terrrsts. So what is this 'training ammo' training them for exactly?

There are reasons why I don't accept the explanation of 'cost savings' at face value, let alone the fact that 'cost savings' and ' federal government' have never fit into the same sentence before.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »
And the whole purpose of the DHS is?
They seem to be heavy on harassing and spying on citizens who are going about their own business and pretty light on securing borders and catch terrrsts. So what is this 'training ammo' training them for exactly?

There are reasons why I don't accept the explanation of 'cost savings' at face value, let alone the fact that 'cost savings' and ' federal government' have never fit into the same sentence before.

Note that my post didn't mention 'cost savings'.  ;)

But ding DHS for what they are and how they execute their 'mission', not a pissant contract that pretty much any armed branch of the government writes on a routine basis.  Ammo goes fast when you're qualifying your agents on two weapons(M-9/M-14 for the military) on a semi-annual basis utilizing several hundred rounds per weapon.  1k agents can easily consume 1M rounds in 1 year.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
I like to diss DHS as much as the next guy, but this was in fact a standard .gov contract vehicle. A bunch of agencies used the DHS BPO to get ammo for this particular purchase. My old one was included in it and I remember looking up our contract when this first came up in the news.

Government buying a ton of ammo is certainly a valid debate subject, but in this case it was a bunch of agencies doing a "group buy" not just DHS.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »
I like to diss DHS as much as the next guy, but this was in fact a standard .gov contract vehicle. A bunch of agencies used the DHS BPO to get ammo for this particular purchase. My old one was included in it and I remember looking up our contract when this first came up in the news.

Government buying a ton of ammo is certainly a valid debate subject, but in this case it was a bunch of agencies doing a "group buy" not just DHS.

NOAA  ???

What caliber for tornadoes?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
Fishery cops
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2014, 06:04:39 PM »
NOAA  ???

What caliber for tornadoes?

.45ACP, as God intended.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2014, 09:35:55 PM »
Wtf is dhs doing jerking off with ugly brit iron when we have a mfing immivasion on the border?

In some part because the owners of gray market cars are a lot less likely to shoot back.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »
In some part because the yuppie owners of $ixty grand gray market cars are a lot less likely to shoot back.

FTFY  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
FTFY  ;)

But if they REALLY were 25 plus years old, like the VINs indicate, they'd be $6,000 cars.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »
But if they REALLY were 25 plus years old, like the VINs indicate, they'd be $6,000 cars.
So they replaced a few parts  :P

You ever heard of Joshua Slocum rebuilding the "Spray"  ???

He started out replacing a few planks and ended up with a new keel, new stem, new transom, new ribs, new planking, new deck, new cabin, and new mast and rigging.  Then he proceeded to sail around the world in a 100 year old boat  ;)

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »

He started out replacing a few planks and ended up with a new keel, new stem, new transom, new ribs, new planking, new deck, new cabin, and new mast and rigging.  Then he proceeded to sail around the world in a 100 year old boat  ;)
HaHa.  Let's replace one little piece on the frame under the steering box, Now let's replace the dashboard, and finally, take just a little bit off the block casting.
Excellent.
Good as a quarter century old!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »
He started out replacing a few planks and ended up with a new keel, new stem, new transom, new ribs, new planking, new deck, new cabin, and new mast and rigging.  Then he proceeded to sail around the world in a 100 year old boat

Sort of like great granddad's mattock; had several new handles and a couple of new heads, but it still works just as good as the day his worker forged it.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »

Sort of like the USS Constitution, not much is original.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2014, 10:46:20 PM »

He started out replacing a few planks and ended up with a new keel, new stem, new transom, new ribs, new planking, new deck, new cabin, and new mast and rigging.  Then he proceeded to sail around the world in a 100 year old boat ALONE  ;)

FTFY.

Great story, great read.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2014, 10:36:14 PM »
Then he proceeded to sail around the world in a 100 year old boat  ;)

"This is my grandfather's axe. Sure, my father replaced the handle, and I replaced the head, but it's still my grandfather's axe"

HaHa.  Let's replace one little piece on the frame under the steering box, Now let's replace the dashboard, and finally, take just a little bit off the block casting.

What I find amazing is that Land Rover is sufficiently like Jeep in that their vehicles have lasted so long in basically the same shape that you can, without significant modification, put parts for a 2014 edition of the vehicle and stick it on a 1985 year one.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2014, 11:55:56 PM »
What I find amazing is that Land Rover is sufficiently like Jeep in that their vehicles have lasted so long in basically the same shape that you can, without significant modification, put parts for a 2014 edition of the vehicle and stick it on a 1985 year one.

Gee, I'd like to have a 1965 Land Rover  ;/

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »
I stumbled across this today on Jalopnick and thought about youse guyses.
 It answers some of the questions posed in last summer's thread, and raises several more.

http://jalopnik.com/why-are-the-feds-obsessed-with-seizing-these-peoples-ol-1672381729

The article is pretty long, but it's worth a read if you have any interest in importing automobiles and covers the corporate influence that brought about the end of  gray market imports.

Jalopnik as a whole has some very good auto enthusiast material.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2015, 03:22:06 AM »
 It answers some of the questions posed in last summer's thread, and raises several more.

http://jalopnik.com/why-are-the-feds-obsessed-with-seizing-these-peoples-ol-1672381729

The article is pretty long, but it's worth a read if you have any interest in importing automobiles and covers the corporate influence that brought about the end of  gray market imports.

That article makes me very angry. :mad:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

brimic

• friends
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
Its a good sign that dhs has finally eliminated illegal immigration if they have the resources  to track down a few illegally imported trucks.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »

Good article. Thanks for posting!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »
Thread necro. The woman in the OP, and several others, got their vehicles back:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/06/12/feds-driven-to-admit-dozens-land-rover-seizures-were-wrong/?intcmp=features