Author Topic: Feds Sieze Land Rover  (Read 18017 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »
Thread necro. The woman in the OP, and several others, got their vehicles back:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/06/12/feds-driven-to-admit-dozens-land-rover-seizures-were-wrong/?intcmp=features

With the help of a pro-bono lawyer.  Would have been a lost cause otherwise, even for a $60K vehicle.

At least the feds hadn't crushed them yet.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2015, 11:11:49 AM »
With the help of a pro-bono lawyer.  Would have been a lost cause otherwise, even for a $60K vehicle.

At least the feds hadn't crushed them yet.

This is true. As with so many other things, the government has people paid to come in every day and do stuff like this, and citizens have to pay to get justice.

If it were up to me, every time an enforcement agency did something like this, or asset forfeiture, or what have you, and were found to be in the wrong, whether malicious or even out of ignorance, their budget would be cut by 10%. Might make them think twice the next time they freeze somebody's bank account if they realize that forty or so "mistakes" would effectively put them out of business. I'd really like to see it applied to agencies like the EPA and IRS.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2015, 11:26:35 AM »
The process is the punishment.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »
The process is the punishment.
This.

Also i think recompense to those citizens who are not convicted is a fine idea.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2015, 11:42:01 AM »
If it were up to me, every time an enforcement agency did something like this, or asset forfeiture, or what have you, and were found to be in the wrong, whether malicious or even out of ignorance, their budget would be cut by 10%.

Not good enough for asset forfeiture. Asset forfeiture is nothing but theft under color of law. Remember, with asset forfeiture the government seizes the assets before any conviction, usually before any charges have even been filed, and often before the victim even knows he/she is under suspicion. I cannot reconcile that with the (purportedly) clear language of the Fourth Amendment.

IMHO, asset forfeiture should simply not be allowed. Period.

Ditto for no-knock and so-called "knock and announce" warrant "services."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2015, 12:08:29 PM »
Not good enough for asset forfeiture. Asset forfeiture is nothing but theft under color of law. Remember, with asset forfeiture the government seizes the assets before any conviction, usually before any charges have even been filed, and often before the victim even knows he/she is under suspicion. I cannot reconcile that with the (purportedly) clear language of the Fourth Amendment.

Point taken, and as my previous posts on the subjects indicate, I am 100% in agreement with you that both of them need to go. :)

However, while bad laws exist, there should be significant penalties for their misuse.

On a positive note, it seems more and more states are passing laws against forfeited assets being converted for the use of the agencies that took them. Until there is a federal law however, it's not going to help much, since all local LE agencies have to do is partner with fed LE as the lead agency, and they can split the profits.

On loser pays, I'm generally in favor of that as well. Except that when it comes to government, taxpayers end up being the losers when the government loses. For that matter, more often than not, we end up being the losers when the government wins.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
Point taken, and as my previous posts on the subjects indicate, I am 100% in agreement with you that both of them need to go. :)

However, while bad laws exist, there should be significant penalties for their misuse.

On a positive note, it seems more and more states are passing laws against forfeited assets being converted for the use of the agencies that took them. Until there is a federal law however, it's not going to help much, since all local LE agencies have to do is partner with fed LE as the lead agency, and they can split the profits.

On loser pays, I'm generally in favor of that as well. Except that when it comes to government, taxpayers end up being the losers when the government loses. For that matter, more often than not, we end up being the losers when the government wins.

Rope is cheap and gravity is free.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »

Whenever any LEO who gets shot while performing an asset forfeiture or no knock raid, it should be unprosecutable because they were shot while in commission of an armed robbery. Further, LEOs committing an asset forfeiture or no knock warrant should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »

I recently did a write up on what I think the next constitutional amendment should be, and guess what made the list?

Then again, I already think it's against the constitution because they're depriving people of their property without conviction(due process) or compensation(eminent domain).

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Re: Feds Sieze Land Rover
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2015, 09:43:40 PM »
Also i think recompense to those citizens who are not convicted is a fine idea.

Yup.  What would it cost to rent that model Land Rover at the regular daily rate for a year?