Author Topic: Ron Paul at CPAC  (Read 5204 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Ron Paul at CPAC
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:38:38 AM »
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/02/straw-poll-results-post.php

Ron Paul Wins 2010 CPAC Straw Poll
Evan McMorris-Santoro | February 20, 2010, 5:42PM

Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)
Read More
2012 elections, CPAC
595 diggs     Send to a friend!To email:    Your Name:    Your email:

Libertarian darling Ron Paul won the CPAC straw poll tonight, taking 31% of the vote in the multi-candidate field. Mitt Romney came in a distant second place. Sarah Palin came in third, drawing single-digits.

Only 2,395 straw poll votes were cast by what organizers said was 10,000 attendees at this year's CPAC.

Interesting turn of events there.  Might be that RP is finding a more solid footing within the GOP?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Ron Paul at CPAC
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »
I have no doubt more people respect Ron Paul than did in 2007 or 2003. Ron Paul built up a great base of activists, connections, and funds from the primary run. He's been very good at investing that vigor we've seen during the primaries into long-term political capital.

Naturally, nobody is going to let him win the nomination in 2012, but hopefully he and his people will have more of a voice at the table.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:28:40 AM »
I have no doubt more people respect Ron Paul than did in 2007 or 2003. Ron Paul built up a great base of activists, connections, and funds from the primary run. He's been very good at investing that vigor we've seen during the primaries into long-term political capital.

Naturally, nobody is going to let him win the nomination in 2012, but hopefully he and his people will have more of a voice at the table.

Yes, I would hope that he can get some of his ideas into the platforms of other candidates.  It would be nice if limited govt made a reasonable come-back in D.C.

My own experience with Ron Paul supporters is that they are a bit to belligerent to be effective, but I hope that changes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »
He's got my vote, I belligerently proclaim.   :laugh:

Hopefully this time around voters will be looking at character and issues, and not the antics of the supporters.    ;/

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »
I love the guy but I frankly hope he won't run again.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »
Calliing my broker tomorrow, I'm going long on Wookie Suit futures...... :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
Do that.

I'm going to call about Cheetoh futures, myself.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

The Lone Haranguer

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:00:41 PM »
His attitude that we somehow provoked 9/11 turns me off.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
He's got my vote, I belligerently proclaim.   :laugh:

Hopefully this time around voters will be looking at character and issues, and not the antics of the supporters.    ;/
It wasn't during the campaign.  It was locally during our county convention after the election.  I think they wanted to take control of the local party leadership positions, but didn't quite execute it well enough. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:07:02 AM »
Oh goody! Now we get to hear endless months of wookie and Cheetosâ„¢ comments every time someone mentions Ron Paul!

Manedwolf? El T? Is that you? =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 12:18:21 AM »
His attitude that we somehow provoked 9/11 turns me off.

bingo. That's what they will put on his grave marker. Ron Paul will always be known for that just like Clinton will be know for the "cigar incident".

And I used to be a supporter of Mr Paul. Until the 9/11 truther crap and Paul hinting that somehow we provoked 9/11. The man is a kook.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Bruce H

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 10:36:48 AM »
When there is a poll conducted and the candidates are tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber and tweedle dumbest, one still wins.
It is possible to always be wrong.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 12:39:49 PM »
Ron Paul versus Mussolini in 2012?  Should be quite an election... =D

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 01:53:48 PM »
Might be that RP is finding a more solid footing within the GOP?

I doubt it.  He won a slew of straw polls in the '08 election cycle too.

All this shows is that RP supporters are still really good at showing up for straw polls.  Unless CPAC had a way of keeping them out.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
bingo. That's what they will put on his grave marker. Ron Paul will always be known for that just like Clinton will be know for the "cigar incident".

And I used to be a supporter of Mr Paul. Until the 9/11 truther crap and Paul hinting that somehow we provoked 9/11. The man is a kook.

I actually agree with Mr. Paul that we "provoked" 9/11.

However, by "provoked" I mean, following an international policy of doing what we can to contain Fundamentalist Islamic extremism and rouge Caliphates.

We've been at war with the Barbary Pirates for two hundred years, give or take a few... Then the Ottoman Empire, then the nations who were allies of Germany/Axis during WWII (Emulation of which gave rise to the B'aathist movement, and militant Islam, BTW), the Iranian Revolution...  

This is nothing "new".  

Of course in the deeper meaning of "provoked" I suspect I differ with Mr. Paul on quite a few of the other details.

I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 02:16:19 PM »
Ron Paul's a good man with many fine, provocative, and brave ideas, but he is not the leader that will preserve this Republic against enemies foreign and domestic.  I personally believe that leader has yet to emerge.  Look to the margins.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 04:41:43 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
"CPAC has becoming increasingly more libertarian and less Republican over the last years, one of the reasons I didn't go this year," Huckabee said in an interview with Fox News, where he is a paid analyst and has his own show.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 05:21:36 PM »
 Look to the margins.

I humbly accept your nomination.   :angel:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 05:21:52 PM »
Micro: sauce plz.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 05:45:34 PM »

Fistful is definitely marginal as a candidate.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
The rEVOLution will not be mainstreamed. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 03:16:17 AM »

Okay, let's look at the inner edge of the margins.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 06:51:42 PM »
hey, that's me. :angel:

edit: dropped the  :lol: =D

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
"CPAC has becoming increasingly more libertarian and less Republican over the last years, one of the reasons I didn't go this year," Huckabee said in an interview with Fox News, where he is a paid analyst and has his own show.

I love the way Huckabee throws out "libertarian" like it's some kind of insult.
Hey, Mike guess what: The GOP doesn't own the word "conservative", and you weren't going to get any votes anyway!  Adios.

The harder the Republicans push away the "small government crazy-types" the deeper they dig their own grave.  But that's just my opinion.  :P
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.