Author Topic: Congress take exception to military restricting private gun rights off base  (Read 5243 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
This is aimed at base commanders who have ordered that soldiers report and register privately-owned firearms kept at their residences off-based.

The Public Law version is not yet online, but here's a link http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CPRT-111HPRT63160/pdf/CPRT-111HPRT63160.pdf (562 pages to wade through) to the 2011 National Defense Authorization Act as introduced, which became Pub. L. 111-383. Section 1062 (on PDF pages 253-54) provides:

"SEC. 1062. PROHIBITION ON INFRINGING ON THE INDIVIDUAL RIGHT TO LAWFULLY ACQUIRE, POSSESS, OWN, CARRY, AND OTHERWISE USE PRIVATELY OWNED FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, AND OTHER WEAPONS.

(a) In General- Except as provided in subsection (c), the Secretary of Defense shall not prohibit, issue any requirement relating to, or collect or record any information relating to the otherwise lawful acquisition, possession, ownership, carrying, or other use of a privately owned firearm, privately owned ammunition, or another privately owned weapon by a member of the Armed Forces or civilian employee of the Department of Defense on property that is not--
(1) a military installation; or
(2) any other property that is owned or operated by the Department of Defense.
(b) Existing Regulations and Records-

(1) REGULATIONS- Any regulation promulgated before the date of enactment of this Act shall have no force or effect to the extent that it requires conduct prohibited by this section.

(2) RECORDS- Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Defense shall destroy any record containing information described in subsection (a) that was collected before the date of enactment of this Act.

(c) Rule of Construction- Subsection (a) shall not be construed to limit the authority of the Secretary of Defense to--
(1) create or maintain records relating to, or regulate the possession, carrying, or other use of a firearm, ammunition, or other weapon by a member of the Armed Forces or civilian employee of the Department of Defense while--
(A) engaged in official duties on behalf of the Department of Defense; or
(B) wearing the uniform of an Armed Force; or
(2) create or maintain records relating to an investigation, prosecution, or adjudication of an alleged violation of law (including regulations not prohibited under subsection (a)), including matters related to whether a member of the Armed Forces constitutes a threat to the member or others.

(d) Review- Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Defense shall--
(1) conduct a comprehensive review of the privately owned weapons policy of the Department of Defense, including legal and policy issues regarding the regulation of privately owned firearms off of a military installation, as recommended by the Department of Defense Independent Review Related to Fort Hood; and
(2) submit to the Committee on Armed Services of the Senate and the Committee on Armed Services of the House of Representatives a report regarding the findings of and recommendations relating to the review conducted under paragraph (1), including any recommendations for adjustments to the requirements under this section.

(e) Military Installation Defined- In this section, the term `military installation' has the meaning given that term under section 2687(e)(1) of title 10, United States Code. "

Wonder what happened to get this started.  I can just imagine the howls coming from certain commands (Alaska, Ft. Hood, Ft. Myers/Washingtom Military District just to name a few I'm aware of).

Any input from our serving members?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Bout damn time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
I've always thought that post commanders who insisted on registration and arms room storage for off-post weapons were lunatics.

Fort Sill didn't have that policy. If it was off post, they didn't care. If it was on-post in family housing, they didn't care. Only single soldier barracks guns had to be registered and stored in the arms room.

As far as I'm concerned, a commander who insists on off-post residing soldiers storing their guns in the arms room is guilty of violating the constitution, and should be immediately discharged.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Wonder what happened to get this started. 

Ft. Hood shooting?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Ft. Hood shooting?

Not hardly, although the event did bring the policies to wider attention and thus scrutiny.  Had Ft. Hood enforced such a policy and Dr. Allah-Akbar complied with it the event would never have taken place.

I'm starting to wonder if some of the Tea Party newbies are using this as leverage against some other DoD stuff.

Anybody got better ideas?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
So is this now law, or is it still making its way through the hallowed halls of Congress?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dm1333

• friend
I'm on active duty and all I have to say is "hell yeah!"

I have one simple rule.  You bring a gun on my station, sign it in with the OOD.  When you leave, check it out. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Every base ought to be like Norfolk and have an MWR run range where you can rent lockers where only you have the key.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
So is this now law, or is it still making its way through the hallowed halls of Congress?

... the 2011 National Defense Authorization Act as introduced, which became Pub. L. 111-383.

:facepalm:

So, yes.

stay safe.

HankB

• friend
The topic of some commanders wanting firearms stored off-base to be registered or locked up (!), including those owned by civilian family members, came up in a lunch table discussion that included a couple of veterans.

Their reaction was "Off base? Bleep them."

They said something about commanders ought not be issuing orders they know won't be followed . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Army commander here in AK had issued an order barring soldiers from carrying off post except when actually in the woods. To be fair we've had a lot of wanna-be hip-hop / gangbanger behavior out in town by his little darlings.

Still, bad order, good law by congress.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

CSM Kersh

The previous base commander at Fort Sam Houston here in San Antonio had posted "no CCW" signs just inside the Walters Street gate.  I checked yesterday on my way in to pick up meds and shop at the commissary that the sign was gone. 

Hope the bill makes it into law.

Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
The previous base commander at Fort Sam Houston here in San Antonio had posted "no CCW" signs just inside the Walters Street gate.  I checked yesterday on my way in to pick up meds and shop at the commissary that the sign was gone. 

Hope the bill makes it into law.

I disagree with invasive commanders sticking their nose into private gun ownership but you can't carry a gun on a federal installation anyway.  Those signs while maybe redundant were in the right.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
I disagree with invasive commanders sticking their nose into private gun ownership but you can't carry a gun on a federal installation anyway.  Those signs while maybe redundant were legal but morally wrong.

FTFY =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams