Author Topic: Ann Coulter rips on the Brits  (Read 5248 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Ann Coulter rips on the Brits
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »
Ann Coulter is particularly sharp-edged tonight in her criticism of the British welfare state. Pretty barbed stuff. I'd be interested in Agricola's take on it.

A sample:

In 2008, a 9-year-old British girl, Shannon Matthews, disappeared on her way home from a school trip. The media leapt on the case -- only to discover that Shannon was one of seven children her mother, Karen, had produced with five different men.

The first of these serial sperm-donors explained: "Karen just goes from one bloke to the next, uses them to have a kid, grabs all the child benefits and moves on."

Poor little Shannon eventually turned up at the home of one of her many step-uncles -- whose ex-wife, by the way, was the mother of six children with three different fathers.

(Is Father's Day celebrated in England? If so, how?)

The rest of the column is here.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Ann Coulter rips on the Brits
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:21:57 AM »
Remember, formerly Great Briton.

"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:38:44 AM »
she is pretty funny, I DVR'd her interview on C span, still getting thru it...
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:48 AM »
THE SUN NEVER SETS ON THE BRITISH WELFARE SYSTEM

>:D :cool: =D classic!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:44:58 AM »
I'm sure what Coulter says in the interview is bitingly funny as usual, but keep in mind that much of what she is saying applies to the US, as well.  We are well on our way to becoming "the formerly great USA".  Glass houses and such.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:46:33 AM »
I'm sure what Coulter says in the interview is bitingly funny as usual, but keep in mind that much of what she is saying applies to the US, as well.  We are well on our way to becoming "the formerly great USA".  Glass houses and such.

Britain is just slightly further along the road to (self) destruction that we are.

Not to worry, though, Obama's been pressing the accelerator to the floor, trying to catch up.

Incidentally, to our British members here, we are particularly interested in your country not just because of our shared heritage, but we see our (near) future in your present and shudder.

Our joking at Britain is done out of fear, like gallows humor.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
Rocketman, I believe that your point is implied in the article (and it certainly is explicit in what Ann Coulter has been saying everywhere).

Example:

Democrats would be delighted if violent mobs like those in Britain arose here -- perhaps in Wisconsin! That would allow them to introduce yet more government programs staffed by unionized public employees, as happened after the 1992 L.A. riots and the 1960s race riots, following the recommendations of the Kerner Commission.

MSNBC might even do the unthinkable and offer Al Sharpton his own TV show. (Excuse me -- someone's trying to get my attention ... WHAT?)

Inciting violent mobs is the essence of the left's agenda: Promote class warfare, illegitimate children and an utterly debased citizenry.

Like the British riot girls interviewed by the BBC, the Democrats tell us "all of this happened because of the rich people."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »
Looting isn't the endstage of liberalism; it's the essence of liberalism.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
The exact same scenario can not happen here.  Too many firearms in the hands of the citizens.  That's not to say we can't have unrest, violence, looting and burning, but our sheepdog to sheep ratio is just too high for sustained mayhem.  Darwin, and all that, you see.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 02:10:05 PM »
The exact same scenario can not happen here.  Too many firearms in the hands of the citizens.  That's not to say we can't have unrest, violence, looting and burning, but our sheepdog to sheep ratio is just too high for sustained mayhem.  Darwin, and all that, you see.

What were the LA Riots again?
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

agricola

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 02:36:56 PM »
As for Coulter, that is just a lazy article.  

The Shannon Matthews case was - which for some reason Coulter fails to mention - basically a massive attempted scam perpetrated by the mother and the "step-uncle" (who was actually the mother's boyfriend's uncle), with the aim of conning the media into paying for exclusives, and of getting their hands on the reward money that had been offered.  A good part of that community spent ages searching the area for Shannon, in the way that communities usually do when a child goes missing - you cannot judge an entire people by the actions of one especially vile criminal (Shannon's mother drugged and tied up her own daughter for nearly a month in an attempt to get the scam to work).

She has missed considerable bits out of the Scarlett Keeling case as well - not the least of which is the fact that it was only the mother's fight to prove that her daughter had been murdered (Indian police insisted that she had drowned until a second post-mortem showed she had been drugged and raped) that led to any kind of justice at all.

The rest of it is just lazy stereotypes that some of you lot fall into using every now and then.  Riots after sports games happen in most countries, including your own.  "Kaffir" is South African, not British.  The authorities are that weak and so ineffectual that people are being handed six month prison sentences - after pleading guilty - for stealing £3.50 worth of water, or looting a slightly more valuable cake.  As the result of these riots than 1800 people have been arrested, 1300 charged and the majority of them imprisoned at once (either on remand or after pleading guilty).  

Most importantly, she has neglected to mention the fact that members of nearly every community - indigenous British, Muslim, Sikh, Turkish and the rest - that was affected by this came out onto the streets to protect their communities against further looting, and have been helping to clean up and to raise money for those people who lost their businesses and jobs.  This was unprompted by the state, uncalled for by politicians and is exactly what the generation of 1939 would have done (and of course, did).  
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »

Also where is the other question/answer.?

There were some store owners that were on the roof tops armed just waiting.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »

Not exactly the same. If you'd had that many very violent people running amok in England you'd have a much higher death toll than you do now. And the ratio of rightous shopkeepers/homeowners murdered to violent thugs getting their just desserts would be a lot higher than it was in L.A.

I don't neccesarily agree with Hutch that we could not have sustained mayhem here, but when they tote up the scorecard at least a lot more of the "victims" will have had it coming.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
Looting isn't the endstage of liberalism; it's the essence of liberalism.

Signature worthy!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
raise money for those people who lost their businesses and jobs

On this - there was a picture of an 89 yr old barber looking at the wreckage of his shop. On Friday I was sent a link to a fundraising page set-up for him. £25,000 in less than a week.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
On this - there was a picture of an 89 yr old barber looking at the wreckage of his shop. On Friday I was sent a link to a fundraising page set-up for him. £25,000 in less than a week.

I think that's great, and I think the notion of your neighborhood citizens banding together to defend their neighborhoods against the looters is great as well. I imagine most of the posters here agree. Several points that make me unhappy about these examples of human nobility..

1) In England (and in much of the world including much of the United States) shopkeepers armed with brooms and mops defending their neighborhood could be successfully prosecuted for carrying weapons.

2) The ideologues who are the most against individual, familial and neighborhood self sufficiency (in both my country and yours) might use your example as a pointer of why your government doesn't provide enough...I've actually heard a Canadian citizen sneering at a private fundraiser in the U.S.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
Agricola, FWIW this

...The authorities are that weak and so ineffectual that people are being handed six month prison sentences - after pleading guilty - for stealing £3.50 worth of water, or looting a slightly more valuable cake...

probably doesn't serve your point in the opinion of many posters on this board (unless I misread your point and your point was that actually the authorities are that weak and so ineffectual) who would think that looting one red cent was worthy of years in prison or shooting.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
My point was that I don't think we could have sustained (night after night) violence, for the reasons I mentioned.  Could things go rodeo?  Oh, yeah.  See post-Katrina New Orleans, post-King LA, etc.  I just don't think widespread looting and burning can be sustained for an extended period.  I can't prove this, just MHO.  It is my belief that counter-violence (armed response) would thin out and cow the miscreants.  Again, maybe wishful thinking on my part.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
It was less serious than LA, just with the added copycats in Birmingham and Manchester. It was also briefer than LA, and there were 5 deaths compared to 50 (about that?) something. It is probably wishful thinking to think that it couldn't happen in similar urban environments in the US.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 06:01:42 PM »
Point taken.  Still want to believe it. :(

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
Considering that most riots take place in large urban centers and that most US big cities have restrictive gun laws, the response of our populace might mirror the Brits.

Let that trouble boil out into the collar counties where suburbia is armed and I'm sure the response would be different.

On a side note, Chicago residents are arming up. The range I shoot practical pistol at has been rocking and rolling, the required class for firearm ownership in Chicago is always full.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »
It's also more manageable for the police in suburbia and small towns. There were apparently twitter and facebook rumours that my town centre was going to be hit on the Tuesday night - town centre was absolutely crawling with riot police, and nothing happened. Maybe as a result, maybe nothing was going to happen. Trouble isn't likely to boil out there though, these things are of the city in the main.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:28 PM »
It was also briefer than LA, and there were 5 deaths compared to 50 (about that?) something.

Not sure this is an improvement.

Quite a few of the deaths in LA were rioters themselves.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »

Our shopkeepers had M-16s, that was one difference.

Even in L.A.--and I live there--there are a LOT of armed people who would not let rioting enter their neighborhood without serious reprisals.  Trust me on that. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
Not sure this is an improvement.

Quite a few of the deaths in LA were rioters themselves.

I think it is an improvement, but I think an improvement that is despite the English lacking an effective legal method of self defense rather than because of it. LA is not London and I think if London had had as many lethally inclined rioters they'd have had as many deaths and more of them people you and I would think of as "innocents". Best guess figures I've seen of the LA body count put it at about 1/3 rioters 1/3 unknown and 1/3 innocents. Split the unknowns down the middle and you've got a 50/50 ratio. The English ratio as far as I've seen in the press is that all the victims were innocents.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"