Author Topic: Nicaragua and China team up to build canal.  (Read 5272 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Nicaragua and China team up to build canal.
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:21:37 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/nicaragua-canal-fast-tracked-chinese-boost-173611883.html

I'm all for increased trade of course but with these two involved I can foresee some shenanigans.

Wiki provides the basics of the history of various canal proposals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_Canal
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Nicaragua and China team up to build canal.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:14:55 PM »
I believe, IIRC, a lot of years ago there was talk of building a sea level canal across one of those Banana Republics.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 05:21:40 PM »
I believe, IIRC, a lot of years ago there was talk of building a sea level canal across one of those Banana Republics.

A man, a plan, a canal - Panama!
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Nicaragua and China team up to build canal.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
If I remember correctly, Nicaragua already had a competing canal that took advantage of Lake Nicaragua. Vanderbilt built it and then, Nicaragua,  being Nicaragua, collapsed, accepted bribes, and basically destroyed their chance to be a commercial center.

Maybe it will go better this time.

(Please note, I simplified the episode for brevity's sake)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »

Like, without locks?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
Destroying a transportation monopoly.  Hmm.  Interesting.

Might we see moar wars, police actions and international incidents down that way as a result of this?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »
Like, without locks?

Perzactly!

A man, a plan, a canal - Panama!

Not sea level. Has locks on both ends! Been there! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »
Perzactly!

Wow. Even with a relatively low country, that's a huge excavation.

I wonder what kind of flow the tides would cause.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 10:36:02 AM »

I don't know. The Suez is sea level and I don't believe that's a problem there, although the tides in the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea are probably a bit different than the Pacific and the Atlantic.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:39:15 AM by Sergeant Bob »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:53:57 AM »
Wouldn't the tides on both sides of an isthmus be on the same schedule  ???

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »
IIRC, the reason for the locks is not tides, but that one ocean is somewhat higher than the other.

Edit:  Correction, it had to do with how deep to cut into the rock across the isthmus.    I'm guessing that cutting across Nicaragua at sea level will be quite the undertaking.  

Panama Canal - 51 miles from deep water to deep water.  Average toll $54,000, and ~15,000 vessels per year pass through, that's roughly $810 million per year. 

Nicaragua - 130 miles, 11 years to build at a cost $40 Billion+ dollars.  Presuming that it takes simply takes all the business from the Panama Canal and charges the same price, (it won't, but it will allow larger ships, so to make the math simple) that is a 50 year ROI.   Yes, the Chinese are known to take the long view.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:14:36 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 12:06:09 PM »
I wonder what the flora and fauna implications have been with the first Panama Canal.  Tropical warm water species that have been separated for eons and evolved separately, are now able to prey upon one another or breed with one another again.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 12:10:27 PM »
IIRC, the reason for the locks is not tides, but that one ocean is somewhat higher than the other.

Edit:  Correction, it had to do with how deep to cut into the rock across the isthmus.    I'm guessing that cutting across Nicaragua at sea level will be quite the undertaking.  

Panama Canal - 51 miles from deep water to deep water.

Nicaragua - 130 miles and $40 Billion+ dollars.

For the first time, det cord is not the solution  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 12:25:51 PM »

Presuming that it takes simply takes all the business from the Panama Canal and charges the same price, (it won't, but it will allow larger ships, so to make the math simple) that is a 50 year ROI.

At this time, the Panama is constructing new locks which will allow for larger ships to transit.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »

Something fierce, I suspect.  Think of it as a straw with a funnel on each end and the tide as pouring a bit of water into each funnel.  No big whoop at the outer tip fo the funnel.  Something different at the straw.

Isn;t there video od such tidal forces on nordic fjords?

Also, seas at different levels on either coasts.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
I wonder what the flora and fauna implications have been with the first Panama Canal.  Tropical warm water species that have been separated for eons and evolved separately, are now able to prey upon one another or breed with one another again.

Probably not much commingling of species due to the fact inland of the locks is all fresh water. :P

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »
Probably not much commingling of species due to the fact inland of the locks is all fresh water. :P

I did not know that.  I thought the canal was a trench across the land and had no interface with any river systems.
--Lysander Spooner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
I did not know that.  I thought the canal was a trench across the land and had no interface with any river systems.

Yep, river artificially dammed to include a lake as well.

I'd be interested to know just how much salinity the lake has now due to the ocean traffic.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »
Yep, river artificially dammed to include a lake as well.

I'd be interested to know just how much salinity the lake has now due to the ocean traffic.

It is the other way around.  Freshwater from the lake is used to fill the locks and then goes out to sea.  Silly amounts of rainfall make that reasonable.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
http://www.pancanal.com/esp/plan/estudios/0121.pdf

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »
It is the other way around.  Freshwater from the lake is used to fill the locks and then goes out to sea.  Silly amounts of rainfall make that reasonable.

So it appears. I was interested enough to look up the information myself:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA378475

From the paper, there is minimal salt intrusion to the lake, estimated at .03 parts per trillion; well below acceptable drinking water level at .25 parts per trillion. (For comparison, the Pacific is 35 parts per trillion and the ocean water directly outside of the locks is 10 parts per trillion.)

It seems they knew what they were doing 100 years ago.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »

Locks don't generally need pumps.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »
They could use a lot less fresh water, if they used an air-inflatable "bed" under the lock.

Deflate the bed.
Put the ship in position in the lock.
Close the entry doors.
Inflate the bed, which raises the water level to be even with the upper doors.
Open the upper doors.  You get salt/fresh water comingling, but not that big of a deal since there's going to be natural downhill flow at the locks anyways.

Take a hell of an air compressor to do that every day for dozens of transits, but it would use less water.
--Lysander Spooner

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
Water's free. Comes from sky.
Charles Babbage