Author Topic: An American in Formula 1  (Read 4364 times)

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
An American in Formula 1
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 09:28:59 AM »
I would love to see the Little 500, I've watched some pavement sprints at IRP, love it. No way I'd ever do it, too much trouble in the tire bill department as well as the amount of talent that has been killed racing pavement.
Yeah, there have been some bad wrecks on the pavement. I live about 20 minutes from Salem (IN) Speedway. 1/2 mile high bank with the same banking in the turns as Daytona. Saw Tony Stewart completely leave the ballpark one Sunday afternoon and land in the airport next door.

if you are lucky unlike me and can get it tune in the Chili Bowl next week
That's the one in Texas right? Houston Astrodome? They have something like that here in Indiana. Used to run it in Colts stadium  (RCA Dome). I think they run it at Muncie or Ft. Wayne now. Tony Stewart shows up to run that one.

My 62 year old dad taking someone to school on usage of the low line.
Good on him! Reminds me of that old AJ Foyt quote "Old age and treachery will beat youth and enthusiasm" Tongue

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
An American in Formula 1
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 10:25:19 AM »
Ah the Chili Bowl is in Tulsa or somewheres near about in an agricultural expo building. The organizers just build a really nice little bullring track and all the big names show up. I imagine Tony Stewart will have three cars there, if his Nascarp minders don't have him on too short a leash he will drive one.

I can think of reading about a lot of drivers getting killed at Salem, read Speed Sport and Open Wheel all my formative years, treacherous place. Not that dirt isn't, Knoxville isn't the place to wreck either, one fellow launched his car last year and is somehow still alive and with us, he was an inch from dead for a few months.

As for F1, they are going to have to go on a major charm offensive, they shut down a lot of U.S. fans with the fiasco last year. I was thinking about impulsively going from southern Virginia, I woulda been a little irritated. I don't think one U.S. driver will do it.  The development problems are several, for one we don't have enough affordable road racing in this country. Toyota Atlantic, formula ford and such are all overrun with rich people. Rich people make racing go, but they kill racing too. Why, they are not racers. They want to see their car win, respect for the sport be damned. Spend as much as you can, encourage the snot nosed punk turning the wheel to drive without respect, whine, cheat, and cry. I don't think we will see someone come up from CART into F1 for awhile. They have degenerated into a crashfest of rich whiners. Nobody in the US cares, because we can't say most of their names. I really like what the Georges did with IRL, putting those cars on the little tracks where people don't usually see Indy is getting them a good fan base. And exposing them to SIlver Crown too. Now if they would just call IRL Gold Crown so everyone would figure out how it used to be. Despite that, IRL is a competition level down from F1, and lack of road courses means it would be hard to step from one to the other.  So, I think we need more low class racing, especially karting. Of course, soccer mom syndrome sets in and we get a bunch of brat drivers, just like in sports cars. Hmm, I am running out of solutions. I know a root of the problem though...

First, I am glad to see women in racing if they show up to race. I was no Danica fan until I saw some of her interviews post race. First, she admitted to making a mistake and nearly killing herself at Indy, then went on to talk about the car, totally ignoring all the pioneering female crap. Her off track interviews reveal a boundless ego, cockiness, and willingness to talk about race cars. In short, pretty much like many 20 something sprint car jockeys I've seen, I give her credit for being a racer. Sarah Fisher meanwhile is quietly turning wheels in Nascar west, staying below the radar. I've seen some pictures of her taking sprint cars out of the park. Coupled with her desire to show respect by not wrecking everything in sight while in IRL, I give her plenty of credit as a racer. So, where is this going? The reason women can be successful now in racing is the wussification of America. We are in the TV age where some little snot nosed punk(read Kurt Busch) can get on TV, whine, say it's just racing and if he comes near me again I'll wreck him again. A few years ago someone like Jimmy Spencer would have left a Kurt Busch shaped dent in the side of his hauler and the offending party probably would have drove better once his ribs and nose were done healing. In Nascar and on short tracks everywhere it is no longer acceptable to drag some idiot through the roll cage and beat him after he has wrecked your race car. Now we retaliate on the track like cowards, where once the first wheel is thrown there is no control over what happens up to and including an innocent bystander on track or off getting killed. But hey, that is just racing right? Beat a guy in the pits, put him in the hospital where no one else is hurt, get sued. But hey, the track is more civilized. Most women were not encouraged to be in the former environment. This problem(I call it Days of Thunder syndrome) degrades the level of competition. Hey, why learn to drive if we can just root someone out of the way? Now, how many times do you see Michael Shumacher hit someone to get by? I am reminded that in the old days 50% of the champion drivers did not make it out of the open cockpit sprint car era. Those that did certainly did not tolerate someone whose lack of talent and restraint willfully endangered others. Moving racing back to that era of respect would do a lot to help the U.S. turn out some F-1 caliber drivers. Rubbing is most certainly not racing in Open Wheel, the more kids we can teach that, the more will eventually learn how to drive, maybe one of them will get their F-1 shot.  [/Rant off]
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

garrettwc

• friend
An American in Formula 1
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 08:16:54 PM »
Now if they would just call IRL Gold Crown so everyone would figure out how it used to be.
Yes!! You know when I refer to Indy as the Gold Crown Championship folks look at me like I have three heads. It's great to finally chat with someone who gets it. I have a friend who used to say that if Jim Clark had stayed home we would be running Super Modifieds at Indy.

Ah the Chili Bowl is in Tulsa
OK I was only off 500 miles or so. Cheesy

You packed a lot into that last paragraph. And all of it true. You left out the sponsors and the media. Racing turned the corner when it became about the marketing. It is moving closer to the NBA/NFL syndrome where it is populated by overpaid prima donnas with marginal talents banded together to form "superteams".

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
An American in Formula 1
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2006, 12:47:03 AM »
http://www.chilibowl.com/default.asp

The Chili Bowl finishes up tonight. Tony Stewart did show up, he has had a rough week so far. I don't know if he gets one more shot tonight through the K-main or something, but he sure isn't qualified now.

13K fans, 270 race cars, 1/4 mile of dirt. Who needs a super bowl?

Oddly enough, I don't see it as being televised.
AKA Navy Joe   

Art Eatman

• friend
An American in Formula 1
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2006, 07:35:42 AM »
Aw, French G, c'mon.  Where's your spirit of adventure?  It's a hoot to put a tire mark on somebody's number, so the next time you're in their mirrors, they'll get out of the way.  Formula Ford is fun!  (Okay, WAS, those long years ago.)

Ya dive down inside the corner and steal it, bestowing the Royal Order of the Rigid Digit, and make the pass.  Serious Smiley Smiley Smiley when you do that.

The reason God put full bodies on cars is so you can lean on somebody. Cheesy

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
An American in Formula 1
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2006, 10:16:14 AM »
Real race cars don't have mirrors. Or numbers where a wheel can reach them(most of the time). Or starters, clutches, more than one gear, doors, or differentials. There, that should narrow it down! Cheesy

Actually, I would race anything someone gave me the chance to drive, not my fault there are inferior types of cars out there.

Well familiar with the Royal Order of the Rigid Digit. I come from the clan of cuss so hard your helmet fogs up.  Never intentionally hit someone though. I felt kinda bad one night, so there I was, cussing up a storm, somebody hit me on several occasions on entry, I was convinced I was getting the chrome horn, and in a series that prides itself on no intentional contact and scrutinizes any other kind, I was some pissed.  After the race I see one of our nicer guys with his car's left side all demolished. "What happened?" I say. Hmmm, turns out all that bumping was my right rear disassembling his car. I felt bad, helped him fix it, still have no clue why he wanted to be in such an untenable position next to a meatgrinder of a tire he knew was going to get pitched sideways. Huh?  

Definition of bad incidental contact. Running into your dad. Definition of worse incidental contact. Dad having an in car camera so he can show you for the next three weeks.
AKA Navy Joe   

Art Eatman

• friend
An American in Formula 1
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2006, 12:55:13 PM »
Some series, the disparity of speeds is such that mirrors are a necessity of life.  When I was doing my brief stint in Formula A, running down on a Formula Ford at some 60mph faster than he was going was "worrisome".  I'm at 180; he's at 120.  Hmmm...

It's a real problem at places like Sebring, LeMans or Daytona, in the endurance races...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

garrettwc

• friend
An American in Formula 1
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 07:21:21 PM »
Oddly enough, I don't see it as being televised.
Yeah, since ESPN has become the MTV of the sports world and Speed became the Nascar channel there isn't much coverage of anything else.