Author Topic: Psychotic dungeons and dragons player  (Read 2268 times)

Psychotic dungeons and dragons player
« on: January 12, 2006, 01:01:16 AM »
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1136938801;start=0

Post this around. It's worth the read. Basically the person who took the role of the storyteller and mechanics supervisor of the game went absolutely psychotic and tried to assault a player (after being an incredibly rude person and being told to leave the house- the players own house) and then was arrested by the police. Then on the 5th page into the thread the OPer hears glass breaking and- surprise- it's the psycho AGAIN. This time the police were even less amused. o.O;

You can skim past the DnD type stuff if it seems over your head, but it should be easy to understand the gist of the guy being a "pocket watch".

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 04:20:29 AM »
Wow...

I could never understand the fascination with this game.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Justin

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 07:01:07 AM »
Where was Tom Hanks when this was all going down?
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:37:40 AM »
What a jerk.  Anyone who thinks they can walk into another person's house, disrespect them, and then refuse to leave, has a screw loose. Maybe several.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 09:24:56 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Wow...

I could never understand the fascination with this game.
It's more fun than a game of poker?

Seriously, I figure that there's more overall trouble from drunks at home card games than the occasional psycho in D&D.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 11:19:52 AM »
Interesting and informative thread there.

Blissninny almost to the man. A couple of postings made me wonder if self defense is even allowed in Canada. The Lanky guy was concerned about the cricket bat he carried out when his window got broken.

What caught my eye was the guy that described role players belonging in one of two groups: those that do it for fun and those that do it because it is the only way they can get anyone to socialize with them. That just reaffirmed why I stopped playing in the late 70's - way too many whackos and not enough playing for fun.

I got into D&D in college in the early 70's back in the Grey Hawk 5X7 pamphet rules days. We had a great time playing every Sunday in the Student Union. Had a university sponsored club and everything. You couldn't be a DM without having proved yourself as a player and then had to be approved by the other DM's before you could run your own game. Still even with the DM nazis it was still a lot of fun.

By the late 70's the whackos ruled the roost and it became time to find other fun things to do (which the .gov had plenty of by that time).

I still enjoy playing D&D but only on a computer and solo. The whack jobs have moved online and are taking over there too.

There's hope thought. My eldest daughter and her husband are players. They run a game at their house every Friday and Saturday night. She's been trying to get me to join in for years (I got her started) and after having met a number of the folks they game with I'm about convinced they belong in the fun group. Might join in and see how it goes.

I'll just pull my carry piece and lay it out on the table in front of me right before the game starts. Cheesy Wink
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 08:20:33 PM »
Wow, just ...Wow.

Mr. PsychoDOM with the d20 of doG, meet Mr. BOOMSTICK!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 08:45:19 PM »
haw haw haw.

I've played a few heated games, but, well, my type of DnD was interspersed with wrestling and food and walks... you get cooped up and worked up, bad stuff happens.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Strings

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 11:33:54 PM »
funny thing is, that REALLY temts me to find copies of the rest of the original AD&D books, and start running the ocassional hack-n-slash dungeon trawl during the winter...

Want an RPG for shooters? Either Cyberpunk (R.Talsorian Games), GURPS (Steve Jackson Games), or Twighlight 2000 (don't remember who did this one). NOT games that should be played by anyone who isn't FIRMLY grounded in reality...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 03:24:00 AM »
I might play as long as I can still use my old character. He was a dwarf with the strength of 20, a double bladed battle axe and a long bow.  He once killed a Red Dragon with an arrow to the eye. (20 to 1 shot). Dungeon Masters did not like him... Wink

It was an ok game. I just never got hooked the way some people did (or still do, obviously).
Avoid cliches like the plague!

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 07:07:59 AM »
ah, whackjobs. playing dnd just makes them more lurid.

but what do i know, i just finished attacking the darkness.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 09:41:48 AM »
with a....... magic missle?

Cause I'm in the tavern, getting drunk.   Are there girls here?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 04:14:44 PM »
hahaha

"So, you're in a bar..."

"An official approaches..."
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 05:16:02 PM »
I guess geeks have to have something to do....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »
PARANOIA!!!!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 10:36:34 PM »
For those missing the references.

http://www.devilducky.com/media/6024/

Smiley
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."