Author Topic: Looking for single user SQL database software  (Read 984 times)

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Looking for single user SQL database software
« on: January 12, 2006, 12:56:16 PM »
For a while now I've wanted something that would allow me to set up an SQL database, then run Perl progams that connect to the database and get information.  For my own purposes (and amusement and knowledge) I'd like to write a program to say, track all my investment transactions and let me query how much I've paid in or what my total interest is so far.

I know this doesn't necessitate a database and I could get a specialized program to do this.  But I have other uses for this type of thing and I just want to do it.  I mucked around w/...Apache, phpMyAdmin (which I do love), MySQL admin, and a bunch of other programs I wasn't really familiar with to no avail a few weeks ago.

Can anyone recommend a program that will just do what I want?  I don't need to serve it to the web or anything complicated.  Just something that I can run on my computer and will allow Perl scripts to connect to the database.

client32

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 05:10:41 AM »
MySQL will work.  I think they even have a personal desktop version.
You can also get a standalone Microsoft SQL.  It should comd with their developement software.
Oracle also has a product called express.

Maybe one of those can fit your need.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 09:08:59 AM »
MySQL and PostgreSQL are probably your best options.  Microsoft SQL Server would work nicely, but it is bloated and probably a lot more than you need or want.

Both MySQL and PostgreSQL are free, and the latest versions are extremely full-featured.  MySQL's version 5.0 brings it almost up to the level of many enterprise solutions at no cost to you.

Do you know PERL already?

I'd suggest you download one of the free (L/W)AMP installation packages to get started.  They'll install Apache, MySQL and PHP and usually install phpMyAdmin or similar database administration utility and let you get started from there.  Try to find one with Apache 2.*, PHP 5.* and MySQL 5.* so you won't have to worry about upgrades for a while.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 12:17:07 PM »
Alright, I'm tenatively happy w/ WAMP Server so far.  One question, though.  It's pretty obvious, but I'm missing it.  What do I connect to?  What server do I tell my scripts to connect to?  I've never worked w/ 'localhost' before...

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »
127.0.0.1 or localhost
It will loopback to your own system.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 12:39:21 PM »
Right on.  How easy was that to fix.  Thanks man.