Author Topic: Solar security lights?  (Read 1181 times)

JAlexander

• friend
Solar security lights?
« on: January 13, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »
Do any of y'all have experience with solar security lights?  My mother's house was broken into right after Christmas and one of the things that I want to do is get her place better lit.  I'd rather not go the hard-wired route for various reasons, and if I can find a good solar light with motion sensor, that would be ideal.
Also, I'd appreciate any suggestions for making a house more secure.  

Thanks,

James

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Solar security lights?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 03:12:53 PM »
This place has a good selection of home security products: www.smarthome.com   I've never used battery powered security lights, are they very bright?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Solar security lights?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 05:19:19 PM »
My dad set some up on one of his sheds where he didn't want to run electricity. If you're expecting equivalent brightness to many of the corded models, you'll probably be disappointed. If you just want something to light an area enough to make out a person, or to light a sidewalk, I think they work pretty well. I think the motion sensor / day/night sensor works better than many corded model sensors I have seen.

I can't recall the brand my dad has, but they sell the same ones at Cabelas.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Solar security lights?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=139837-234-SH-7001&lpage=none

I don't have any experience with them, but they seem to be a reasonable option.  Personally I'd find a way to go with standard motion detector lights if at all possible.  Nice thing about the solars is you could mount them to a tree, fence or something.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”