Author Topic: Anybody speak Japanese?  (Read 1111 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Anybody speak Japanese?
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
I have an interesting opportunity in front of me... (as in, the old curse: "may you live in interesting times")

A friend in management with my old (.gov contractor) employer contacted me recently, and it seems they need someone to support a client as a one-man dedicated help desk, and they thought of me.

They knew that I had picked up Spanish fluency and conversational French in like, a few weeks.

Only problem? They need the support to be done in Japanese, and they're asking whether I could pick it up, and if so, how quickly.  Shocked
They must think really highly of my language skills.
I told them I could be ready in eight weeks. Cheesy

So I've gotten started with Rosetta Stone language software, which is top-notch.  Problem is, in this little burg, there is nobody who I can speak with beyond the dialogue repetition in the software.

Anybody speak passable Japanese that's willing to provide me a little help, say, a 10 minute phone call per day?
I'm also open to suggestions on turbocharged language learning.

Note: Reading/writing is VERY secondary-- I just need to be fluent from a conversational/spoken standpoint.

Thanks,
Fig

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Anybody speak Japanese?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 02:34:53 PM »
Wow.

Good luck.

Japanese, if I recall correctly, is an inflected language. You don't really have pronouns like I, you, they. It's all done inflection, which requires a GREAT ear.

Good luck!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Anybody speak Japanese?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 02:37:09 PM »
Mike,
Interesting yours is the first response.
I ...think...the former employer I'm speaking of is *also* your former employer...
Science, Artificial Intelligence, Corp etc. etc.?

Interesting....

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Anybody speak Japanese?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 06:05:08 PM »
All I know is when you answer the phone you're supposed to say something like "mooshi mooshi"

Hope that helps rolleyes

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Telperion

• friend
Anybody speak Japanese?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 10:24:38 PM »
I'd say your chances are nil.

If you want to hear, to an approximation, what colloquial Japanese sounds like at full speed, surf on over to http://www.downloadanime.org/index.php and pick something, anything, and enjoy. Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Anybody speak Japanese?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 09:10:17 AM »
Fig,

Yep, SAIC, which stands for Stuffed Assbackwards Into Cubicles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Anybody speak Japanese?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 10:10:50 AM »
Fig,

Japanese has a Subject, Object, Verb structure, unlike English, which is Subject, Verb, Object.  Keep that in mind, and if you do have a gift for language then you'll do fine.
I had a two week crash course in Japanese about ten years ago when I started work with a Japanese company.  While I was not fluent by any means, I learned enough to get deeper in trouble while negotiating purchases at the local grocery store.  Cheesy
Seriously, it made getting around town a lot easier.

RocketMan
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.