Author Topic: Talk Shows  (Read 884 times)

Talk Shows
« on: January 13, 2006, 04:36:57 PM »
Over coffee and blackberry cobbler, some friends and I entered the  "Way Back Machine".

Of interest, all us of are from the same era. When TV only had 3 channels, Black and White, the test pattern...
Later when Color TV was available.

I shared I gotten to where I rarely used a TV , mostly to watch a VCR tape for learning something or watching a movie. When my '79 13"  Sony finally quit [dropped in moving] a few years ago - I have yet to replace it, nor do I have any desire to.

These folks also rarely watch TV, exceptions include watching  a Movie or baby-sitting kids.

Talk Shows:

Jack Parr, then Steve Allen, then Johnny Carson. We all agree, nobody today can do a talk show.
Jack Parr set the stage, Steve Allen was okay to me...Carson, there will never be another Carson. IMO.

There have been some other Talk Shows , some gone [thank goodness!] Some need to be [hurry up]. I am not the only one that has been caught out and heard the intro to Conan...It does not get more obnoxious...

Basically as Art eluded to  in the music thread, the Old  stuff was Talent, Quality, and Entertainment.
Today is ...okay something has to run against the infomercials...

When some these folks get the CDs of Johnny Carson Shows, we plan on getting together and viewing these. Johnny had the abilty to be a host, to entertain, be human.
His guests , seeing Joey Bishop and others will be great..
He and Ed playing comic team...
Then Johnny playing his various characters...

I bet kids today have no Idea whom/ or what /huh?  Funk & Wagnel - much less anything being hermetically sealed in a mayonaise jar...

Tongue

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Talk Shows
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 06:23:15 PM »
You had three channels?  We only had two, 5 and 11 (sorry Justin, 13 was the "newcomer" later on).  5" screen B&W TV, one of the first in Pueblo.  We got Howdy Doody and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

Jack Benny, now that man could do an intro...

Didn't Joey Bishop host the Tonight Show for a while?  Johnny was king, no doubt, but Joey did a good job.

We didn't watch much TV, we had ditches to play in, alfalfa fields needed camped in, etc.

See if I remember these right.  Tuesday night was Red Skelton.  Wednesday night was Disneyland, that could not be missed.  Friday night the fights were on, the TV belonged to dad.  Weekends, well, the TV probably didn't get turned on at all.

Big bowl of popcorn, glass of Pepsi with ice, Red Skelton.  I'm not so sure we have progressed at all.

Justin

• friend
Talk Shows
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »
(sorry Justin, 13 was the "newcomer" later on)
Yeah, but now they're the only locally owned tv station...and it shows.

I'm so happy to be out of that biz...
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

matis

• friend
Talk Shows
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »
Yeah, but you guys were in the states.

TV came to Montreal sometime in the early 50's.

One channel, only on 6 (I think) hours a day; half the time in English, half in French.

Mainly I watched the tuning pattern.   :/

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Talk Shows
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 11:19:24 AM »
Quote from: Justin
I'm so happy to be out of that biz...
I didn't know you were?