Author Topic: Commercials  (Read 2758 times)

Commercials
« on: January 13, 2006, 04:52:33 PM »
As mentioned I and others entered the "Way Back Machine".

So the owner of this coffee shop and a waitress come over , and sit it..

"Remember the Commercials of yesteryear?"

Oh yeah, we went there...

Bob Hope "trust your car to the man who wears the star"

Miller Lite Beer:  with Bob Uker, Mickey Spillane, Rodney Dangerfield...

Alka Seltzer: Now my favorite of yesteryear...Newlyweds, Wife in bed reading a Cook Book, husband in bathroom, obviously sick from whatever the new bride fixed for dinner.
Hubby walks out of bathroom , starts toward the bed, wife says "honey, tomorrow I'll try Poached Oysters...
Hubby turns green , cheeks puff out and hurries back to the bathroom...
"honey...honey...?"

Keds: You had to buy keds, "stop on a dime".

Ovaltine...'More Ovaltine please"
Wheaties: "Breakfast of Champions"
Wonder Bread : "Buils strongs bones and muscles 12 ways..."

WE may have been kids, we knew what 'LSMFT" meant...

Smiley

grampster

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 07:29:45 PM »
Brusha brusha brusha....new Ipana toothpaste.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Art Eatman

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »
And before TV and "Soap", there were radio shows like "Oxydol's Own Ma Perkins". Smiley  Which is where the name "soaps" came from...

Remember Lorenzo Jones, and his wife Belle?  Betcha don't.

And the kids' shows, like Hap Harrigan, Terry and the Pirates, Captain Midnight--and on MWF at 6:30PM Central, The Lonesome Stranger. Cheesy

Remember the VW Beetle ads?

Most of today's ads, I can't figure out what they think they're selling, or the come-on stuff doesn't relate to the product.  

Or:  "We don't make the products you buy.  We make the products you buy, better."  So why the (bleep) pay for the air time for that stupid ad?

We're runnin' lower and lower on mature adults, methinks...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

bermbuster

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 03:03:38 AM »
"You'll wonder where the yellow went....."

By the way, Pepsodent toothpaste is terrific for polishing items such as jewelry that require a very fine grit abrasive.

griz

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 04:45:52 AM »
For some reason I still remember that PF Flyers will make you run faster and jump higher. I was a kid and figured with those shoes I could jump over anything, after all the kid on TV could.

For our younger readers, they were "sneakers". That was before the transitions from tennis shoes to running shoes to athletic footwear.  rolleyes
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Commercials
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 06:19:18 AM »
Mmm Mmm good...

You know, I never really DID run faster or jump higher with my PF Flyers. It was an enormous letdown. Hmmmm, do you think they were feeding me BS? shocked

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

matis

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 06:54:41 AM »
Brylcream... a little dab 'il do ya.

Anybody remember Fibber McGee and Mollie?       Coming mother....  (was Radio)

How 'bout, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy (and Mortimer Snerd)  (radio)

It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's Suuuperman!   Faster than a speeding bullet....

Texaco, trust your car to the man who wears the star.

RCA Victor, logo of dog sitting beside old gramaphone with horn, "...his master's voice."

Rice Crispies, snap, crackle n pop.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Commercials
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 06:56:32 AM »
Re: toothpaste

Being abrasive, toothpaste will damge the nacre on pearls, and soft stones such as opals and coral will become abraded and dull. The pearls cannot be fixed - Opals will have to be Re-Polished.

--

Tigers seemed to be popular "spoksman" for commercials.

Frosted Flakes had Tony the Tiger GRRREAT!

Esso..."Power of A Tiger in your Tank"  -
Esso had these streamers kids put in the bicylce handle grips. Yellow and Black stripes, Add some palying cards to make noise off bike spokes...now just how more neat could you get!

Al Unser's Daddy [forget name, Art will recall] Champion Spark Plugs. I forget the actual commercial, but for some reason a kid "just had to" use Champion Spark Plugs in a Briggs & Stratton or Clinton Lawnmower engine.
Funny, with Push mower we didn't  think of "pddlin'" When the  gas powered ones -finally - I paid $19.95 for that first one...a kid had to put on homemade ramps , do pit changes to adjust wheels, ...sigh...

Palmolive Dishwashing Soap.  I still use this/
"Tough on grease - Softens hands"  
Granted Midge used to to do manicures....

I figured out it took the Grease off me, my hands, tools and my Blonde hair. You are not supposed to have your head under the oil filter when you finally get the thing off. Cannister type...I missed the whole drain pan, my blonde hair soaked up most of the oil...
That was me washing my hair outside with a garden hose, the guy  laughing his butt off was my uncle...

Bryllecreme " A little dab a do"
Hey you should try Castrol motor oil if you really want slick hair...

Ivory soap " the soap that floats"

You know - Moms are not real impressed when you whittle the last bar into a boat, and are playing with it in ditch full of water...

Winchester Model 70 "The Rifleman's Rifle
Great...now how inthe  hell is Chuck Connors gonna twirl and shoot that one...
Then you meet a guy with both a Model 70 and Model 94 ...a kid HAS to shoot both...I mean this was too good to pass up.

OTASCO - Oklahoma Tire And Supply Store

No fast food joints, not for some time anyway. Before McDonald's showed up with .17 hamburgers...

Local Mom&Pop Dairy Bar..."You bring 'em - we feed 'em"
Parents always made a crack "you want 'em - you can keep 'em.
Must have been an adult joke...

I forget what matress / boxpring commercial - Must have been "naughty" for the times, because the TV was either turned off , or kids had to cover eyes or ears...Moms  covered whatever the kid didn't.

Benson & Hedges "Silly millimeter longer" , Showed end of cigarettes getting caught into various things.

Then remember the cigarette commercial with folks with a black eye? "I'd rather fight than switch" ?

bermbuster

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 08:04:24 AM »
Quote from: sm
Re: toothpaste

Being abrasive, toothpaste will damge the nacre on pearls, and soft stones such as opals and coral will become abraded and dull. The pearls cannot be fixed - Opals will have to be Re-Polished.
Thanks for that.  I have no opals.  Never thought about polishing pearls.  I use Pepsodent for metals.  Rub lightly between my fingers and thumb.

Palmolive Dishwashing Soap.  I still use this/
"Tough on grease - Softens hands"  
Granted Midge used to to do manicures....

I figured out it took the Grease off me, my hands, tools and my Blonde hair. You are not supposed to have your head under the oil filter when you finally get the thing off. Cannister type...I missed the whole drain pan, my blonde hair soaked up most of the oil...
That was me washing my hair outside with a garden hose, the guy  laughing his butt off was my uncle...
My spouse uses it to treat greasy/oily stains on fabric.  It works better than Shout.

Here's a link to an article about how another brand of dishwashing liquid was used to clean up an oil spill.
http://www.stater.kent.edu/stories_old/98spring/050698/n8a.html

Antibubba

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 07:46:41 PM »
When you guys were kids and you went on a trip, did you have to stop every so often to clean up after the horse?  Cheesy
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Robert Sears

Commercials
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »
Speaking of Dawn Soap. I have done some testing of Rig Washes  in a oil field support lab. Usinf a 1% solution of Dawn did as well as or better than most of the Rig Washes I tested. Dawn is good stuff.

Bob

zahc

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 10:52:20 PM »
I never watch TV voluntarily.

I'm happy to keep the mimetic engineers out of my world; I'm happy to say I have no idea what you all are talking about.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Art Eatman

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 04:45:28 PM »
TV ads are good:  They give you time to go pee.  They give you time to go get another beer.

After you've peed and beered, the clicker is a Good Thing:  You can mute the sound of the ad and read a book for a bit.  Or reload ammo. Smiley

Football is good for reloading ammo.  After all, in three hours, there are 22 minutes of action.  All the rest is the between-plays, timeouts, halftime, etc.  Why waste 2.5 hours?

Dawn Soap is good for killin' fahr aints.  (That's fire ants, if you live in New Jersey.)  A cuppa Dawn, a cuppa gasoline, in five gallons of water.  Use a sprinkler can, like what you water the flowers with.  Kills them little doofers, and doesn't burn the grass.

Art

matis

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 04:53:55 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba
When you guys were kids and you went on a trip, did you have to stop every so often to clean up after the horse?  Cheesy
Antibubba, it's plain to see that you have no clue about horse-drawn wagons.  Wink

When I was growing up in Montreal, the milkman, the fruit & vegetable man, the rag man all used horse-drawn wagons.  (Gasoline rationing during WWII might have had something to do with it.)

NO ONE picked up after the horses.  The sun baked the stuff and it lay in small piles here and there until the street sweeper came by, which was not every day.

In fact it was those horses, and the birds, that taught me my philosophy of life.

"Ya just gotta learn to pick the bird seed out of the horse-s--t."

Cheesy

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

grampster

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 05:00:36 PM »
Boy reading this thread sure has brought back a lot of great memories.

How about "Show me your Lark"  even then I thought that ad was a double entendre.

Antibubba:  You made me laugh out loud.

sm and Art.  You guys never fail to amaze me with your collective archival recall.  I'm between the two of you in age and have seen all you have seen and experienced the same.  I just don't have the recall you guys have.  I envy you.  I do remember it all, when you dredge it up.  That's fun!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Art Eatman

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 05:11:09 PM »
My grandfather was born in 1885; my mother in 1910.  I got to listen to a lot of reminiscing from their early years.  

The 1930s and 1940s were a time of great transition in the US.  Many life-style and social changes, and I feel fortunate enough to have seen them, to have been a part of it all.

Watching the changes of the last twenty or so years, they seem more superficial than meaningful...Only time will tell, of course.

I think that changing from horse'n'buggy for a trip to town, to an auto, is a bit more of a big deal than changing from a carbureted car to a computerized, fuel-injection snot bubble.

Art

grislyatoms

• friends
Commercials
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 05:13:14 PM »
"Alex, you better be drinking your water"

"Two all beef patties special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun."

"If you've got the time, we've got the beer, Miller Beer!"

"I'd like to buy the world a Coke, blah blah blah blah blah, apple trees and honey bees blah blah blah blah blah"

"The candyman can, cause he mixes it with love to make the world taste good"

"It's not Suzy Chaffee, it's Suzy Chapstick!"

Guess I am showing my (relative) youth.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

DJJ

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 05:58:58 PM »
Anybody remember an ad where two old trucks, each delivering a different product, would zoom past each other every day, missing by inches...

[voiceover]"Until, one day, it happened."[/voiceover]

The trucks collided, and Huh? Something wonderful happened with the products they were carrying. Does that ring a bell with anyone? It was probably around 1970.

Moondoggie

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 06:08:24 PM »
Peanut butter & chocolate...ala' Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

DJJ

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 06:13:33 PM »
No, I don't think that was it. I want to say it was root beer. I think it was set in the days of "old trucks" (complete with the sped-up look of old film), and there was a crowd of gawkers who showed up after the wreck and ended up enjoying the result.

Commercials
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 06:55:28 PM »
IIRC  this Truck passing was aped by a few companies. Reece's was one.
Others were Corn Flakes and Fruit in cereal, Ice Cream ,and  Biscuits and Sausage.

Justin

• friend
Commercials
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 07:34:32 PM »
Despite an ardent dislike of most Apple fanatics, I have to say, the 1984 Macintosh ad directed by Ridley Scott is still one of the best TV advertisements of all time.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.