Author Topic: New source of global warming gas found: plants  (Read 1018 times)

Desertdog

• friends
New source of global warming gas found: plants
« on: January 13, 2006, 05:26:20 PM »
What will the enviormenalist do now?  Demand we kill all green plants?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060111/sc_nm/environment_methane_dc

German scientists have discovered a new source of methane, a greenhouse gas that is second only to carbon dioxide in its impact on climate change.

The culprits are plants.

They produce about 10 to 30 percent of the annual methane found in the atmosphere, according to researchers at the Max-Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics in Heidelberg, Germany.

The scientists measured the amount of methane released by plants in controlled experiments. They found it increases with rising temperatures and exposure to sunlight.

"Significant methane emissions from both intact plants and detached leaves were observed ... in the laboratory and in the field," Dr Frank Keppler and his team said in a report in the journal Nature.

Methane, which is produced by city rubbish dumps, coal mining, flatulent animals, rice cultivation and peat bogs, is one of the most potent greenhouse gases in terms of its ability to trap heat.

Concentrations of the gas in the atmosphere have almost tripled in the last 150 years. About 600 million tonnes worldwide are produced annually.

The scientists said their finding is important for understanding the link between global warming and a rise in greenhouse gases.

It could also have implications for the Kyoto Protocol, which calls for developed countries to cut their emissions of greenhouse gases by 5.2 percent below 1990 levels by 2008-12.

Keppler and his colleagues discovered that living plants emit 10 to 100 times more methane than dead plants.

Scientists had previously thought that plants could only emit methane in the absence of oxygen.

David Lowe, of the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research in New Zealand, said the findings are startling and controversial.

"Keppler and colleagues' finding helps to account for observations from space of incredibly large plumes of methane above tropical forests," he said in a commentary on the research.

But the study also poses questions, such as how such a potentially large source of methane could have been overlooked and how plants produced it.

"There will be a lively scramble among researchers for the answers to these and other questions," Lowe added.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 06:09:09 PM »
Hell, i thoght methane was a byproduct of one too many bean burritos...

Sure glad the Germans are around to straighten that out!

Something tells me rotting vegetation and hence methane has been around a LOT longer than this "global warming" phenomenon.

Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

LawDog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:35:56 PM »
They've never heard of 'swamp gas' in Germany???

LawDog

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »
I thought it was an article about Gas Bags and it was Ted Kennedy's autobiography.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 12:41:47 PM »
LawDog,
I think the issue was that the gas was produced (and in greater quantities) from live plants in the presence of oxygen - not decomposing in the anaerobic muck of a swamp.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 05:59:07 PM »
Pave it. Paint it green.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 11:01:22 PM »
This shouldn't be news from anyone in the appalachian chain.  It's why they're called the Smoky mountains!