Author Topic: Radio shows  (Read 2622 times)

Radio shows
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:17:03 PM »
...so now we get one more waitress to come over, she hollers to me to bring her a coffee on my way back..,I just bring the whole pot. I mean this is a coffee shop, everybody just makes themselves at home...

Her addition to the "Way Back Machine":  " I miss the old Radio Shows".

Art done jumped the gun earlier...I was getting there...*grin*.

Back in the day, folks did not allow the TV set to own them.  They had lives. Most households - the daddy worked, momma was housewife, mother, raised kids, and do not take this as being an easy job. Mom's knew all sorts of stuff. From getting Frogs out of little boy jeans, to getting lipstick off the wall - granted she usually waited until daddy got home to him what HIS daughter drew for HIM that day...

Folks read books, kids were read to , kids learned to read and do math stuff.

Radio shows allowed Folks to  listen while they worked. Daddy could, Momma could too, be it changing diapers, band-aids on knees, getting stuff ready for supper, or getting that Tinker Toy / Lincoln Log out from under the sofa for the umpteeth time.

At night, supper dishes washed and dried, daddy bouncing a kid off his lap, momma sewing a button back on...

Oh gosh the Commercials. The Sponsors...

Remember when detergent came with glasses and the other one had dish towels?   [we got all mixed up on which was which]

Stewart's Bluing. As a kid it did not make any sense to me for awhile why anyone wanted "blue" clothes...

Well the Cracker Barrel Resturant has these old shows recorded

Amos and Andy.
Jack Benny
Abbot and Costello - "Who's on First" - a must have
Red Skelton - Now Red Skelton had the abilty to give the listener the "image" of what was going on, it was no big deal for him to do the same /similar shows on TV. The man was talented.

Green Hornet
Lone Ranger
The Shadow  "only the Shadow knows"

Many others.  In a world in a hurry going nowhere, I still listen to these old shows.

I was studying with a classmate at her place and the power went out. I mean it stormed. Oil lamps lit, and all that. I had Abbot & Costello, The Shadow,  cassettes  in the truck. I make a dash and back in.
Gas Stove, Firplace going, and listening to old Radio Shows using battery power...

She of course was younger, she was thorughly in awe and entertained . She laughed so hard at "Who's on First"...it was replayed. She went to Cracker Barrel and got her some of these tapes.

Nice to kick back, and just listen, let one's imagination go...

"Say Goodnight Gracie"

Smiley

Waitone

• friend
Radio shows
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:40:19 PM »
Google up "old time radio".  I love the old series.  My current project is to listen to all the Gunsmoke radio programs.  Download free in mp3 or wave and enjoy.  Lots of other shows are available on subscription or CD.

The old radio shows required the use of one's imagination, a lost skill.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Art Eatman

• friend
Radio shows
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 07:26:12 AM »
And shows like The "Great Gildersleeve".

Ah, that creaking door of "Inner Sanctum".   Shudders!

(Phone rings.)  "Duffy's Tavern, where d'elite meet to eat, Duffy ain't here, Archie d'manager speakin'.  Oh, hello, Duffy."

George & Gracie Allen's character Digby O'Dell, The Friendly Undertaker, who always exited with, "Well, I must be shovelling off."  Their hall closet was always good for a laugh:  "Don't open that!"  (Crash/bang/tinkle...and one last thump)

Yeah, imagination stretchers.  TV can't compare, cause your mind's not exercised.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Chuck Dye

Radio shows
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 10:47:40 AM »
My choice for the best? The Damon Runyon Theater. The narrator, Broadway, was voiced by John Brown who also did Digger O'Dell.  

West of the Mississippi I like to listen the Stan Freberg's "When Radio Was" at 10:00pm Central on KSL 1160 A.M. out of Salt Lake City.

grampster

• friend
Radio shows
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 11:16:14 AM »
Plunk yer magic twanger, Froggy?  Boyyyoyyoing.  (Froggy voice)  Hiya kids, hiya hiya hiya.  (group of kid's voices)  Hiya Froggy.  Then Froggy would proceed to confuse the Old Perfessor and get him totally discomobled and frustrated to the never ending joy of the kids.

Hi, I'm Buster Brown and I live in a shoe.  My dog's name is Tighe and he lives in here too.

Then there were The Bickersons (Was it Don Ameche? or his brother.  Art...?)  I forgot the lady's name, but she just passed away last week I think
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Art Eatman

• friend
Radio shows
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
Sorry, Grampster, I lose track on some of the names.

I remember the Gracie Fields shows, live from London during the Blitz.  The news with Gabriel ("Ah, there's good news tonight!") Heatter and H.V. Kaltenborn.  And Walter Winchell...

The early-morning Bing Crosby radio show (15 minutess) and the theme song, "When the blue of the night meets the gold of the day..."

Hank Williams and his theme, "Roving Cowboy".

WOAI, San Antonio had a guy, "Red River Dave" who chained himself to a piano and wrote 100 songs in ten days.  Among them was The Ballad of Amelia Aerhart".

"Amelia" was included in "ten worstest songs", along with "Two Bodies By The Side Of The Road" ("and a smashed-up '34 Ford") and "Just A Bowl Of Butter Beans".

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Moondoggie

• friend
Radio shows
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 02:52:15 PM »
XM radio has a channel of old tyme radio shows that runs 24/7.

I imagine Sirus will have one also.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

grampster

• friend
Radio shows
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »
Up till now I couldn't see the usefulness of XM, but now I'm beginning to wonder whether or not to arrange to have it in my home, to replace TV.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Moondoggie

• friend
Radio shows
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 07:17:12 PM »
Grampster;

There's soooo many channels that I never run out of stuff to listen to while I'm in the truck.

FoxNews is on there, as well as several other news & talk channels.  They just added a channel with all of the FoxNews folks radio programs on it.

They also have EVERY baseball game on a block of channels.  Also Nascar, but it's going to Sirus one of these days...I've never listened to it, but I wouldn't want to be accused of selling you a bill of goods in case you're into racing (Double Yuck!).

The commercial-free music is pretty cool, too.  Everything from classical to country to heavy metal...several different channels in each venue.

As you can probably tell, I'm a BIG fan of sattelite radio!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

grampster

• friend
Radio shows
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »
Can you hook up some way to a Bose Wave Machine in the house?