Author Topic: "Once a gun runner," he boasted," always a gun runner."  (Read 2446 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"Once a gun runner," he boasted," always a gun runner."
« on: March 23, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »
The Stoner Arms Dealers
How two American kids became big-time weapons traders — until the Pentagon turned on them

Packouz and Diveroli had picked the perfect moment to get into the arms business. To fight simultaneous wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq, the Bush administration had decided to outsource virtually every facet of America's military operations, from building and staffing Army bases to hiring mercenaries to provide security for diplomats abroad. After Bush took office, private military contracts soared from $145 billion in 2001 to $390 billion in 2008. Federal contracting rules were routinely ignored or skirted, and military-industrial giants like Raytheon and Lockheed Martin cashed in as war profiteering went from war crime to business model. Why shouldn't a couple of inexperienced newcomers like Packouz and Diveroli get in on the action? After all, the two friends were after the same thing as everyone else in the arms business — lots and lots and lots of money.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-stoner-arms-dealers-20110316

A fascinating article about the global trade in arms, ammo and money.

In the end the US gov't gets their cheap ammo for free, arrests the dealers and then has the BATF sting them into prison...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: "Once a gun runner," he boasted," always a gun runner."
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »
Through all the chaos, Diveroli and Packouz had done a huge amount of business with the U.S. military. All told, AEY made 85 deliveries of munitions to Afghanistan worth more than $66 million, and had already received orders for another $100 million in ammunition. But the fiasco involved more than a couple of stoner kids who made a fortune in the arms trade. "The AEY contract can be viewed as a case study in what is wrong with the procurement process," an investigation by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform later concluded. There was a "questionable need for the contract," a "grossly inadequate assessment of AEY's qualifications" and "poor execution and oversight" of the contract. The Bush administration's push to outsource its wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, in short, had sent companies like AEY into the world of illegal arms dealers — but when things turned nasty, the federal government reacted with righteous indignation.

I wonder if these guys had been a bit more shrewd and had better data security, could they of earned 50 million and closed up shop?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:02:29 AM »
I wonder if these guys had been a bit more shrewd and had better data security, could they of earned 50 million and closed up shop?

You're assuming their greed would have been sated by a mere $50mil.
Formerly sumpnz

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »
You're assuming their greed would have been sated by a mere $50mil.

Da, as noted in the article he was too cheap to put a one million dollar down payment for Czech ammo that would have been legit (not Chinese manufacture) despite that he had a few million in the bank and would have been reimbursed when the government paid his contract. A whole lot of errors there, and most all of it boils down to greed and stupidity.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

Sad thing is, if they would have hired someone like me (imports/exports), a contracts person and put a good lawyer on retainer, they could have done everything legally. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 02:01:31 PM »
Sad thing is, if they would have hired someone like me (imports/exports), a contracts person and put a good lawyer on retainer, they could have done everything legally. 

Ooooo!!! I get to steal Viking's line!!

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

They EARNED those wages of stupidity.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »
so when does the APS import export zombie castle fund raiser commence?

I could use a few mil in a Cayman account and gosh, people like me.