Author Topic: Pulse Club shooter's wife not guilty  (Read 1843 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Pulse Club shooter's wife not guilty
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
Noor Salman has been found not guilty of all charges:

https://www.apnews.com/c5613430d459423a9e45b1885bad29f3/Widow-of-Orlando-nightclub-gunman-is-acquitted-in-the-attack

Another crowning achievement for the FBI. The defense suggested that the FBI took advantage of her low IQ and tricked her into "confessing" after an 11+ hour interrogation -- presumably without benefit of counsel. When I was a kif, I venerated the FBI. I've been looking recently, and I can't seem to find a single shred of my former respect for them anywhere.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: Pulse Club shooter's wife not guilty
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:16:40 PM »
I'm okay with this, the evidence that was presented in the news (yeah, I know) seemed very weak.

To me it looked like they were just trying to try Omar by proxy.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
Noor Salman has been found not guilty of all charges:

https://www.apnews.com/c5613430d459423a9e45b1885bad29f3/Widow-of-Orlando-nightclub-gunman-is-acquitted-in-the-attack

Another crowning achievement for the FBI. The defense suggested that the FBI took advantage of her low IQ and tricked her into "confessing" after an 11+ hour interrogation -- presumably without benefit of counsel. When I was a kif, I venerated the FBI. I've been looking recently, and I can't seem to find a single shred of my former respect for them anywhere.

Respect died when he died: >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »
I'm okay with this, the evidence that was presented in the news (yeah, I know) seemed very weak.

To me it looked like they were just trying to try Omar by proxy.

I am inclined to accept the hypothesis that they took advantage of her. Nobody should be subjected to an eleven hour interrogation unless they were caught in the act. And the woman is reported to have an IQ of 84, which is below average/normal, and getting close to "cognitively impaired" (<80). Barring a lot more substantial evidence, I'm not unhappy that she was acquitted.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:11 PM »
First,  in my experience, if an investigator doesn't get admissions in the first two hours or less, anything after that is suspect.  Most of the cases I was involved in with confessions, most of the time it was in an hour or less.  What the hell do they talk about for eleven hours?

Second, a lot of work the FBI does gets no attention in the press, which is likely a good thing.  The child exploitation unit does really good work.  The whole thing isn't broken, just some parts.  Oh, and if you want to blame someone in this case, blame the Justice Department as a whole.  FOB collects evidence, but the US Attorney gets the indictment and prosecuted the case.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 08:05:51 AM »
Interesting

Jury 'convinced' Noor Salman knew of Pulse nightclub attack, but had 'no option' but to acquit, foreman says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/31/jury-convinced-noor-salman-knew-pulse-nightclub-attack-but-had-no-option-but-to-acquit-foreman-says.html

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »
Interesting

Jury 'convinced' Noor Salman knew of Pulse nightclub attack, but had 'no option' but to acquit, foreman says

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/31/jury-convinced-noor-salman-knew-pulse-nightclub-attack-but-had-no-option-but-to-acquit-foreman-says.html

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have read I believe a guilty verdict was possible.  But I have to admit that's only opinion,   and had I been on the jury and been made more aware of the conflicts as the linked story suggests existed in the FBI account,  I might come to a different decision.....
All I can say is "ugh!",    this was a huge bump in the judicial road ....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
I heard some commentary on this from last week.  I am in agreement with most of you.  If they didn't prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, she should be found not guilty.  What I heard was for every bit of damn evidence implicating her there was other evidence that conflicted.  If there is any blame to go around, it probably should go to the prosecutor who decided to move forward with charges based on what they had. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
I heard some commentary on this from last week.  I am in agreement with most of you.  If they didn't prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, she should be found not guilty.  What I heard was for every bit of damn evidence implicating her there was other evidence that conflicted.  If there is any blame to go around, it probably should go to the prosecutor who decided to move forward with charges based on what they had. 

She's probably extremely fortunate that the conflicting evidence made it into the trial. There's a disturbing trend among [some] prosecutors these days to try their best to conceal potentially exculpatory evidence from the defense, so the jury only sees and hears one side of the case. Such behavior should be grounds for disbarment at the least, and IMHO for tarring and feathering after the aforementioned disbarment.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 11:01:35 AM »
She's probably extremely fortunate that the conflicting evidence made it into the trial. There's a disturbing trend among [some] prosecutors these days to try their best to conceal potentially exculpatory evidence from the defense, so the jury only sees and hears one side of the case. Such behavior should be grounds for disbarment at the least, and IMHO for tarring and feathering after the aforementioned disbarment.

If they can prove intentional concealment, it is grounds for disbarment.  Should be grounds for criminal prosecution, IMHO.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 09:58:07 PM »
If they can prove intentional concealment, it is grounds for disbarment.  Should be grounds for criminal prosecution, IMHO.
Agreed.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge