Author Topic: Damn you Canon! Stop all-freakin'-ready...  (Read 5220 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Damn you Canon! Stop all-freakin'-ready...
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
I've been lusting after the T1i since it came out, now THIS??!!

Buddy of mine just linked me to Canon's web site.  They have the new T2i up.  18Mp sensor with the new gapless microlens technology, video in true 1080p at a full 30fps, and stereo external mic capable.

Those new tires may just have to wait...  :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Damn you Canon! Stop all-freakin'-ready...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »
Some of the peeps in my photography class just brought T1is. They like them, except the newest RAW format doesn't work with PS CS3, which is what all the school computers have on them. So, the school ended up putting Lightroom on the computers to at least give them some good editing capability, if not the full artistic capability.

Me? I'm still trying to figure out photoshop and still learning to run my XS...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:05 PM »
This is really pretty funny. I spent 30 years of my life working full-time as a professional photographer for my own studio and other studios, and I have no idea what you guys are talking about. ;)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
 :lol: i couldn't afford a dslr. until pentax announced the k20d right after shipping what seemed like a boat load of K10d's so i grabbed one, was a really nice camera for a few weeks. then it was just an old camera, you know, the pics didn't change a bit. =D

esheato

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:58 AM »
I bought a 30D in 2007....Canon has already discontinued it.

Shoot it till the shutter falls apart and spend your money on glass, I say.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 02:29:34 AM »
Do we even want to know what Canon charges for this new miracle tech? I'm still working with a 4? megapixel camera.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:33:25 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:08:07 AM »
The tech grind cycle is even more fun for the pros.

They used to laugh at my Quicktake 150 at the Natty Geo cafeteria.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
And here I am still slogging along with my Antique Petri V6.....chris3 =D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »
I guess this really makes my Canon AE1 obsolete :'(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »
Buddy of mine just linked me to Canon's web site.  They have the new T2i up.  18Mp sensor with the new gapless microlens technology, video in true 1080p at a full 30fps, and stereo external mic capable.

The memory cards still short out in the developing tank.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:27:29 PM »
I guess this really makes my Canon AE1 obsolete :'(

I've got one. Nice 35mm camera.

However, for me, the convenience of digital just rules over everything else. I get instant feedback, so I don't shoot a whole roll of film at a once in a lifetime event and then realize I f***ed up.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

darius

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
Some of the peeps in my photography class just brought T1is. They like them, except the newest RAW format doesn't work with PS CS3, which is what all the school computers have on them. So, the school ended up putting Lightroom on the computers to at least give them some good editing capability, if not the full artistic capability.

Me? I'm still trying to figure out photoshop and still learning to run my XS...

I have a Pentax film camera that is smarter than I am, and it is a point and shoot with the added capability to do custom settings.  My little Canon is easier to carry around and is digital, but it doesn't make a picture like the 35mm SLR Pentax does.

Sadly, film cameras have seen their days I fear, and I paid about 600 for mine several years ago. I don't regret it though as the albums bring back fond memories.  I use it to take pictures when we go on sight seeng  trips and they are usually just gorgeous.

I am into old frontier forts.
It is more fun to visit one when they are having some sort of a reenactment or historical program.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »

However, for me, the convenience of digital just rules over everything else. I get instant feedback, so I don't shoot a whole roll of film at a once in a lifetime event and then realize I f***ed up.

I know what you mean. But, every once in a while I'll move some stuff around and see my darkroom equipment and get the urge to mix up some D-76 and a batch of Dektol.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »
I have a Nikon digital that was a half way decent several years ago.  It is a dinosaur today.  I'm hesitant to even get a new one these days.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »

It may not be the case now, but there are some things that digital can't do as well as film, like long exposures over 45 seconds.  The top left corner on images is purple on exposures over 45 seconds.

I have a Nikon digital that was a half way decent several years ago.  It is a dinosaur today.  I'm hesitant to even get a new one these days.

I use a Konica Minolta 7D, great camera 5 years ago.  KM doesn't even make cameras any more.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:03:56 PM by Tim L »

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
I use a Konica Minolta 7D, great camera 5 years ago.  KM doesn't even make cameras any more.

That's okay; I'll dispose of those obsolete lenses for you.   =D

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 08:11:09 PM »
I have a Rebel Xti with some good glass that does pretty much everything i need to do in a still camera.  However, I just might sell my HV20 and gear to spend towards a T2i body.  It would make things a bit easier using my good lenses for what appears to be a decent quality HD camera. 

I still have a Pentax k1000 that I pull out from time to time just for kicks.  I got it when I was on the yearbook staff in Jr High.  I might consider getting one of the newer Pentax dSLRs so I can put some of those bayoet mount lenses to work. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »

Which one?  Most of them are still quite capable of some good photos.

Some of my favorites are from my old 5MP Canon S2 IS that I picked up at the pawn shop. (and I still use it for most macro work)  I have an 8x10 from it hanging next to my desk, and you have to get right up to the glass to tell it's any lower resolution than the ones from my 10MP Sony Alpha.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
dSLRs no mater how much HD resolution, make for crappy video cameras

the ergo dynamics are completely wrong for shooting video
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »
That's okay; I'll dispose of those obsolete lenses for you.   =D

I'll suffer through it.  =D  Hopefully by the time I need to replace them I'll have money and Sony will have something worthy.  ;)

Tim

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I'll suffer through it.  =D  Hopefully by the time I need to replace them I'll have money and Sony will have something worthy.

Full frame and 24MP. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra900/

Though any of your "digital" lenses for the 7D are made for its cropped sensor, so will probably vignette pretty badly on a full-frame sensor.  Any leftover film lenses work great, though.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
Full frame and 24MP. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra900/

Though any of your "digital" lenses for the 7D are made for its cropped sensor, so will probably vignette pretty badly on a full-frame sensor.  Any leftover film lenses work great, though.

stop down and the vignetting softens(goes away high enough =D) or you can crop it off. [popcorn] i have been known to use my dslr's 18-55 on 35mm film. [tinfoil] gives you that old box camera effect. =D

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
stop down and the vignetting softens(goes away high enough =D) or you can crop it off. [popcorn] i have been known to use my dslr's 18-55 on 35mm film.

I have a 28-100 crop lens that I use quite a bit on 35mm because it's lighter than my good 28-200.  Most of the time, I'm zoomed in far enough to not matter, and just use the zoom to adjust framing.

[tinfoil] gives you that old box camera effect. =D

Your box camera must be broken.  My Ansco Shur Shot Junior stays bright right to the corners on 120 film:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:57 PM »

Road between White City and Carlsbad Caverns, maybe?  Or possibly the foothills west of Roswell on the way to Ruidoso?  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB