Author Topic: "It's all fun and games" or "Oh! the huge Manatee"  (Read 5206 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
"It's all fun and games" or "Oh! the huge Manatee"
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:40:03 AM »
Till someone rides the manatee  :mad:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1254405.ece

All the times I've see a manatee, nothing in me has said "Hey, I'll hop on and ride that sucker!"
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: It's all fun and games
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »

Just exactly which one is the sea cow????   =|

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:47:46 AM »
Oh, the huge manatee!

Interesting how the linked article went on about the psychological impact to the manatee of being ridden. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:48:04 AM »
Someone has to say it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:55:23 AM »
Oh, the huge manatee!

Interesting how the linked article went on about the psychological impact to the manatee of being ridden. 

Maybe the manatee liked it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »
How is this any different than what people do with dolphins on very lucky encounters?

Many [manatees] are curious about human beings. Their tolerance of people's presence has led sea cows to mutilation or death when run over by motorboats.

The manatee strikes me as a cross-species benevolent creature that is just fatter and dumber than a dolphin.  The woman did not "molest" the animal by any of the 3 definitions provided by this resource:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/molest?s=t

to bother, interfere with, or annoy.
to make indecent sexual advances to.
to assault sexually.

According to Wikipedia, manatees are capable of bursts of speed up to 20mph.  So it can get away if annoyed by a human.  And it can demonstrate "annoyance" to observers by traveling at that speed (among other defensive techniques as well).

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »
Manatees really aren't fat - they only have about a quarter inch of body fat, which is why they return to warmer waters in the winter. Just had to toss out that tidbit of useful information.

But this is all part of the whole "we love our fellow mammals" protection act which has been overblown and taken to the nth degree in recent years. In GA, $20,000. fine for interfering with a marine mammal, which includes manatees. Yep, that's four zeros. And they take that crap seriously. Local shrimper was hamming it up for tourists, got fined and lost his license for holding a piece of shrimp overboard to a dolphin. A man's livelihood gone over a piece of shrimp that, had he swept it off the deck with a shovel would still have been eaten by the dolphin but would have been legal. Utterly freakin' ridiculous.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »
Is that like jumping the shark?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
Manatees really aren't fat - they only have about a quarter inch of body fat, which is why they return to warmer waters in the winter. Just had to toss out that tidbit of useful information.

But this is all part of the whole "we love our fellow mammals" protection act which has been overblown and taken to the nth degree in recent years. In GA, $20,000. fine for interfering with a marine mammal, which includes manatees. Yep, that's four zeros. And they take that crap seriously. Local shrimper was hamming it up for tourists, got fined and lost his license for holding a piece of shrimp overboard to a dolphin. A man's livelihood gone over a piece of shrimp that, had he swept it off the deck with a shovel would still have been eaten by the dolphin but would have been legal. Utterly freakin' ridiculous.
Sounds like not just a stupid law, but some stupid jurors as well.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:52 PM »
A bunch of those manatees get hit by boat motors don't they?  I really doubt being ridden by a sea cow would hurt it much.  It can alway dive and take the human for a nice deep ride.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »
It can alway dive and take the human for a nice deep ride.

That it could.

I used to tell all of the people who used to tell me dolphins were kind and gentle, and had even saved people from drowning, that that is only because you only heard about those few they brought back. You never heard about the people they took out to sea to play with, got bored with, and left them there to drown.  ;)

bob

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
oh, the huge Manatee
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/03/162230744/manhunt-for-manatee-riding-lady-comes-to-an-end-in-florida

For a short period, yesterday, the hunt was on in Pinellas County, Florida for a lady photographed riding a manatee.

The sheriff's department called a deadly serious press conference in which they asked the help of the public in identifying the perpetrator. The lady was wearing a white cap, red shorts and a black bikini top. Witnesses in the area, the sheriff said in a statement, took photographs and contacted police.

deadly serious :police:
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: oh, the huge Manatee
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »
I don't see the problem.  She wasn't wearing spurs  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 06:07:16 PM »
Dude, you are so behind.  This is totally "yesterday" in APS-world.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=36383.0
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »
Sigh. At least I moved out of Pinellas County in June.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
Well, at least the manatee had fun.

Till someone rides the manatee  :mad:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1254405.ece

All the times I've see a manatee, nothing in me has said "Hey, I'll hop on and ride that sucker!"

They're not scared of humans, our weight, combine with the boyant effects of salt water is probably nothing to them, and they show signs of curiosity and playfulness?
Other then stupid laws and potential injury to oneself, why not?
Basic human vs. manatee and the manatee is going to win, hands down, everytime. It's only when humans have tools that the manatee is endangered.

There arn't many wild animals that people can interact with in the animals habitat. Seems stupid to bar ourselfs from the wonder of such experances as long as we arn't hurting the animal.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 06:40:51 PM »
There arn't many wild animals that people can interact with in the animals habitat. Seems stupid to bar ourselfs from the wonder of such experances as long as we arn't hurting the animal.

That's what Tim Treadwell said.

*Actually, BSL I agree with you (and Tim) that snark was just to good to pass up.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
That it could.

I used to tell all of the people who used to tell me dolphins were kind and gentle, and had even saved people from drowning, that that is only because you only heard about those few they brought back. You never heard about the people they took out to sea to play with, got bored with, and left them there to drown.  ;)

bob

That's closer to the truth than most would like to admit.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri held a news conference to decry the alleged abuse of an animal he called "a huge part of our culture here in Florida" and "a very integral part of what Florida is about."

At the gathering of reporters and news cameramen, slightly surreal in its gravity, Gualtieri said he hoped photographs a bystander snapped of the mysterious manatee rider will identify the woman and bring her to justice.

"Go ride a Jet Ski. Don't use animals," the sheriff said. "She needs to be held accountable for her actions."
I wonder how many armed robberies, rapes, and homicides there were in the same region and time frame as the manatee abuse, that didn't get their own news conferences.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 08:07:20 PM »
Is that like jumping the shark?

That's a higher fine.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »
That's what Tim Treadwell said.

*Actually, BSL I agree with you (and Tim) that snark was just to good to pass up.

Far be it for me to deny someone a moment of snark.  :laugh:

Stay snarky, my friend.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: "It's all fun and games" or "Oh! the huge Manatee"
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: "It's all fun and games" or "Oh! the huge Manatee"
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
Save a Horse
Ride a Manatee
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin