Author Topic: USPS to Destroy ‘Just Move’ Stamp Series Over Safety Concerns  (Read 2331 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://postalmag.com/blog/?p=2149

the USPS will be destroying the entire press run after receiving concerns from the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition over alleged “unsafe” acts depicted on three of the stamps (cannonball dive, skateboarding without kneepads and a headstand without a helmet)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
YGBSM.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
We should ban stamps! It's for the children!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
So, because someone somewhere might DO A HANDSTAND WITHOUT A HELMET after reading unvetted fitness advice from a stamp, thousands, if not millions, of dollars of material are to be destroyed?

Last one out the door, turn off the lights...

On second thought, let 'em burn. The power wil go out on its own soon enough.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

HankB

• friend
Exactly HOW is a cannonball dive any more dangerous than some other type of dive?

(I mean, unless the people alongside the pool who you splash take exception and decide to administer a little attitude adjustment.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Exactly HOW is a cannonball dive any more dangerous than some other type of dive?

(I mean, unless the people alongside the pool who you splash take exception and decide to administer a little attitude adjustment.)

It's actually less dangerous, because a head first dive into a shallow pool can result in serious injury. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

I'd like someone to explain to me how a cannonball is counted as a "dive". Dives are headfirst.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
It's actually less dangerous, because a head first dive into a shallow pool can result in serious injury. 

The water on those little stamps can't be very deep  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

griz

• friend
Suggestion for the next stamp, wear right equipment, fail anyway.  Something of a metaphor.

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
The elder of my two bosses was cackling over this one.

She loves anytime Madam Obama gets a publicity smack down.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
At least none of the stamps depicted Dodgeball. Only terrorists play dodgeball these days...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
This "protect the kids at all costs, even their own enjoyment of life" attitude is really starting to piss me off.  I did some dumb things as a kid.  Hurt myself a few times.  Learned some lessons, a few painful, and moved on.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

brimic

• friends
This "protect the kids at all costs, even their own enjoyment of life" attitude is really starting to piss me off.  I did some dumb things as a kid.  Hurt myself a few times.  Learned some lessons, a few painful, and moved on.

There's a local talk show host (He does fill in for Rush fairly often) who often uses the example of playgrounds... 30 years ago when playgrounds were asphalt, kids were less stupid and got hurt less. Having the OSHA-approved soft rubber chips under playground equipment have dumbed down the physics of falling off stuff for kids.

I like to say that I learned more useful stuff by watching Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show as a kid than I did up through most of high school.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
There's a local talk show host (He does fill in for Rush fairly often) who often uses the example of playgrounds... 30 years ago when playgrounds were asphalt, kids were less stupid and got hurt less. Having the OSHA-approved soft rubber chips under playground equipment have dumbed down the physics of falling off stuff for kids.

I like to say that I learned more useful stuff by watching Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show as a kid than I did up through most of high school.

And, SURPRISE SURPRISE, new research is coming out that protecting children from any and all dangers is detrimental to their long term well being because they don't learn early on how to face fears and overcome them.

Gee, whoever could have guessed that children need to learn to deal with danger and risk while they are still amazingly resilient and healthy?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
And, SURPRISE SURPRISE, new research is coming out that protecting children from any and all dangers is detrimental to their long term well being because they don't learn early on how to face fears and overcome them.

Gee, whoever could have guessed that children need to learn to deal with danger and risk while they are still amazingly resilient and healthy?

But won't that make them less reliant on the government and prone to seek gov intervention rather than be self or community reliant?    [tinfoil]
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Bigjake

• friend
Think of it as a little chlorine in the ol' gene pool.