Author Topic: San Francisco - Eat lunch with the rest of us  (Read 741 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
San Francisco - Eat lunch with the rest of us
« on: July 25, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »
The City of San Francisco, after having cured all that is ailing the city, is now considering banning employee cafeterias in future office buildings. Backers claim it represents more than an effort to boost the city's restaurant scene.  Evidently San Fran is not the first to do this, Mountain View CA has banned Facebook's new offices from having a cafeteria with free food for about 2,000 employees.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: San Francisco - Eat lunch with the rest of us
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »
So the people that would have been employed working in the FB cafeteria, are now able to enjoy more free time to pursue their passions.  At least that's what Nancy Pelosi told us....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »
Free food?
Hell, I'd just like to not have to pay $450 a year for the privilege of parking at work?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:08:49 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
If it was my company  would bet on my lawyers being better than whoever wrote this statute.

There will be loopholes. And my people will exploit them faster than the drones who work for the city can find and close them.

I could just tell them that we aren't providing free meals and make them prove that we are and make it into a huge legal battle for every little document or access to the facility. Draw the whole thing out and get them to make legal errors that I could exploit later.

I could institute a credits program where you get company scrip for doing things unrelated to your job or pay. Like making a phone call on behalf of a charity or sending an e-mail to someone or some other small thing and with this scrip you can buy company merch and/or use it in the cafeteria. It would be set up so that  only 10 minutes a week will get you enough scrip for a month of cafeteria visits. And of course the legal battle will be just as intense as in the first example.

If the statute only says "employees" then I could possibly subsidize non-employees. If so then I can invite friends and relatives of my workers to come enjoy the food and if they want to be served much more food than they can eat and then give that extra food to their friend or relative I don't see how that can be an issue.

Or perhaps finagle using tour groups to do the same thing. Say everyday you have multiple groups come in for "eat with an engineer day" they do their tour and then retire to the cafeteria where they are assigned to one or more employees and then the tourist gets to place an order for as much food as they want, taking input from the employees of course, and then it's off to the tables to talk about things.

I could charge for the food up front but when it's yearly bonus time the money makes it way back to the workers.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 06:01:53 PM »
If the city is going to require the employer to pay you 15 dollars an hour it only makes sense that you also be required to pay somebody else an hour or two's wages for the privilege of eating lunch.

Seriously, are they going to outlaw lunch boxes too?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »
If each employee opts in for $1 a month, it isn't free now, is it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:08:04 PM »
Ah thank thet there water out there's a wee bit pizened.  Mebbe that's why them circuit judges out thar been drinkin' water from Iderho and Montanee o' late.

Councilmember Jason Dominguez countered that “we can’t always count on common sense,” adding, “We have to regulate every aspect of people’s lives.”

Councilmember Jason Dominguez countered that “we can’t always count on common sense,” adding, “We have to regulate every aspect of people’s lives.”

Bears repeating.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:31:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:20:31 PM »
So they want people to go out and drive around unnecessarily burning fossil fuels to get lunch instead of eating in an employee cafeteria?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »
The City of San Francisco, after having cured all that is ailing the city, is now considering banning employee cafeterias in future office buildings. Backers claim it represents more than an effort to boost the city's restaurant scene.  Evidently San Fran is not the first to do this, Mountain View CA has banned Facebook's new offices from having a cafeteria with free food for about 2,000 employees.

So they are doing this to protect their local markets. I wonder what their thoughts are on Trump's "trade wars". [popcorn]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic