Author Topic: Nurse sues Dallas hospital after contracting Ebola  (Read 1407 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Nurse sues Dallas hospital after contracting Ebola
« on: March 01, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »
http://res.dallasnews.com/interactives/nina-pham/?hootPostID=206c5a9bdfc4384db09c679932a7fe22

I will be interested to see how this turns out.  I empathize with both the nurse and the hospital in this case.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Nurse sues Dallas hospital after contracting Ebola
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »

Hospitals and its personnel are not equipped for BSL-4 biohazzards. The list of BSL-4 facilities in the US is short, and most of them are labs and not hospitals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosafety_level#List_of_BSL-4_facilities

IMHO, it would be a proper function of government to have resources and laws to set up emergency BSL-4 facilities, or transportation to BSL-4 facilities.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:37:15 PM »
I have a couple of friends who worked, and still work, at Presby. In fact one of them was one of the first nurses that stepped up to care for Nina when she was diagnosed. While you can empathize with the nurse there is a possibility that you and the lawyers may be the only ones. That article was written with a little bit of slant toward the poor nurse who is now battling the evil corporation and government for her problems. Does she have them, I am sure she does but a lot of the nurses at Presby feel she has thrown them under the bus after giving of themselves and taking risks to ensure she is still here. She is spot on about training and PPE, but she did volunteer to care for the guy that died, it wasn't a "do this or else" assignment.

I also have a friend in Canada who went through the SARS scare and she said there were quite a few lawsuits following that period of uncertainity up there.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »
She is spot on about training, PPE and the hospital's response to supporting the nursing staff as they cared for a biohazardous patient.  From that perspective, and bearing in mind this article is designed to put her side of the case out there to persuade the hospital to settle, it sounds as if the hospital could have done a better job.  Having said that, I realize how poorly-prepared the average hospital would be to care for a patient like this, and the nursing staff bears the brunt of those problems.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:43:34 PM »
While technically you don't need bsl4. Most hospitals are not set up for something like this.
They should have tarped off an area in the parking garage, not bring them near everyone else.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:46:48 PM by never_retreat »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »

CDC did a crap job on handing out info.

It's unrealistic to have hospitals be hardcore prepared for unlikely occurrences like ebola. But they should have contingency plans on the shelf for low probability but high impact events like highly lethal infection.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 12:46:33 AM »
Hospitals and its personnel are not equipped for BSL-4 biohazzards.

That reminds me.  I've been wondering just what hazard level our BSL is.

It also reminds me that we need a "ducking and running" smilie.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:12 AM »
nice knowing ya.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
That reminds me.  I've been wondering just what hazard level our BSL is.

It also reminds me that we need a "ducking and running" smilie.

Just gonna die tired...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 11:56:51 PM »
Reads like a typical lawsuit. Throw everything you have against the wall and see what sticks. Quite a few nurses at Presby feel she is just out for the big payday and early retirement. I don't know, I am sure there is a PTSD component to her feelings and then there are lawyers. It looks like someone it the newspaper id trying for a Pulitzer. What ever is going on, it is a mess and bringing up old feelings for a lot of people.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/257427144/Nina-Pham-s-lawsuit-against-Texas-Health-Resources#fullscreen

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 07:29:39 AM »
nice knowing ya.

*snort*

You're still alive, so I'm clearly not that deadly.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds