Author Topic: No guns inthe NBA  (Read 1287 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
No guns inthe NBA
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:13:36 AM »
Where's the barf smiley when you need him?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-stern-guns&prov=ap&type=lgns

Stern wants NBA players to leave the guns at home
By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
October 25, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Stern understands having a gun to protect your home. He's not convinced carrying one on the streets makes you any safer.

For that reason, the NBA commissioner said Wednesday that he would prefer his players leave their firearms behind when they go out.

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

It's one that was raised recently when Indiana's Stephen Jackson shot a gun in the air at least five times outside an Indianapolis strip club on Oct. 6. He originally told police he fired in self-defense during a fight in which he was hit by a car.

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement allows players to own licensed guns, but they can't carry them on any league or team business. Asked what kind of firearm rule he would want if collective bargaining weren't involved, Stern said: "I would favor being able to have a firearm to protect your home. Period."

He added that walking the streets carrying guns was "dangerous for our players," but said there has been no further discussion with the union about strengthening the policy.

Union spokesman Dan Wasserman said it already was bolstered in last year's agreement, at the request of the league.

"In response to issues raised by the NBA during bargaining last year," he said, "a provision was added to the collective bargaining agreement that subjects the players to discipline if they bring any kind of firearm, even if it's licensed, to an NBA arena, practice facility, or even a team or league* offsite promotional appearance."

Wasserman also said that the dangers of firearms are discussed during the rookie transition program, where players are "informed of the legalities of it, what you can or can't do, and the pros of cons of having a weapon are discussed extensively."

With the start of the season less than a week away, Stern also addressed the arena situation in Sacramento. The city's residents will be asked to approve two ballot measures on Nov. 7 that would increase local sales tax as part of the Kings' quest to replace Arco Arena with a new downtown building.

The measures are considered long-shots to pass, and Stern seems to understand why after claiming that a deal between the city and the developer hasn't been finalized.

"In the absence of a deal between the city and a developer, I don't know what any fair-minded citizen of Sacramento is being asked to vote on," he said. "I would love to see them support an arena development, but I would tell them that they better make sure that the city gets with it to see whether the deal can in fact be done. Right now there is no deal anyplace."

Also, Stern said he expected to rule on Larry Brown's grievance with the Knicks sometime during the second week of the season. The Knicks refused to pay the remainder of Brown's contract after firing him one year into a five-year deal.

Updated on Wednesday, Oct 25, 2006 7:03 pm EDT

Preacherman

Re: No guns inthe NBA
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:02:26 AM »
"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically,"

How about re-stating this?

"If you hang about in strip clubs with NBA players, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically."

THAT'S more like it!

angel
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 01:33:53 PM »
considering the fact that so many of them are thugs and felons, can ANY of them carry legally?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 01:48:27 PM »
Mannlicher, you probably know more about that than I do, but I suspect that is no more accurate than the gun "facts" in the article. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:16:11 AM »
Given the behavioral history of a lot of the players, a potential question might be, "Hey, are you going to the game at the OK Corral, tonight?"

"Naw, I don't have my Level 4 vest, yet."

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Green Lantern

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 04:05:57 AM »
Just 'cause SOME are "thugs," ALL of them shouldn't be punished!  angry

With such an "enlightened" opinion on firearm ownership coming from the Commish, though - good luck to the good ones changing things to allowing them to carry.... rolleyes

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 02:37:15 PM »
Mannlicher, you probably know more about that than I do, but I suspect that is no more accurate than the gun "facts" in the article. 

you are correct.  As usual, I know a lot more than you do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 05:33:53 PM »
So, how many are thugs and felons?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 11:48:14 PM »
"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically,"

angry

I can't believe I've been putting my own life in danger for this long!

Why didn't someone tell me this before??

Tomorrow the pistol stays at home, because I really don't need my chances of getting shot going up any more!
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 03:40:02 AM »
So, how many are thugs and felons?

enough that the NBA is rethinking their public image. a little thuggery is interesting. all the pro sports have a few thugs. but when it becomes commonplace, it starts to turn the fan base off. this whole thing is about trying to turn around the image of the NBA players as thugs.

the NFL has been real good at this, to the point of making me nearly ill with all their commercials featuring crippled children with football players. I think they are starting to overdo it, and need to cut back so it is not so obvious they are trying to play us.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 03:49:45 AM »
Yeah, cherchez le $$$.  The only reason some guy is worth a gazillion dollars a year for playing a kid's game is because other retards will pay way too much money to watch him run around in a funny costume and "do his thing".  While the public is willing to pay a lot of money to avoid the boredom of their humdrum lives, the public is fickle and there is competition among the various cartels for that public interest.

"Off duty" misbehavior by the gladiators could cause the public to turn to some other televised activity, which would hurt TV advertising revenues and therefore owners' revenues...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 05:20:41 AM »
The only reason some guy is worth a gazillion dollars a year for playing a kid's game is because other retards will pay way too much money to watch him run around in a funny costume and "do his thing".

To be a little more precise, the only reason some guy is worth a gazillion dollars a year for playing a kids' game is because people buy the products advertised while he plays, and the products he advertises, and the products with his sports organization's logo on them.
D. R. ZINN

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 04:55:10 PM »
Left the pistol at home today.

Not only was I NOT shot, I wasn't even physically assaulted. 

Excellent!  I'll never carry again!
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III