Author Topic: RIP PJ O'Rourke  (Read 509 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
RIP PJ O'Rourke
« on: February 16, 2022, 08:10:02 AM »
Passed away from lung cancer. I know he was very popular with the right wing powers that be but I never read any of his work.

A blog ran a list of some quotes from him, they're pretty good.
“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.”

“If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it’s free.”

“When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.”

“Authority has always attracted the lowest elements in the human race. All through history, mankind has been bullied by scum. Those who lord it over their fellows and toss commands in every direction and would boss the grass in the meadow about which way to bend in the wind are the most depraved kind of prostitutes. They will submit to any indignity, perform any vile act, do anything to achieve power.”

“The Clinton administration launched an attack on people in Texas because those people were religious nuts with guns. Hell, this country was founded by religious nuts with guns.”

“No one has ever had a fantasy about being tied to a bed and sexually ravished by someone dressed as a liberal”

“God created a free universe. He could have created any kind of universe he wanted. But a universe without freedom would have been static and meaningless — the taxpayer-funded-art-in-public-places universe.”

“You can’t get good Chinese takeout in China and Cuban cigars are rationed in Cuba. That’s all you need to know about communism.”

“Foreigners may pretend otherwise, but if English is spoken loudly enough, anyone can understand it.“
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:09:39 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: RIP PJ O'Rourke
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 08:21:52 AM »
Passed away from lung cancer. I know he was very popular with the right wing powers that be but I never read any of his work.

So, fix that.  I remember Republican Party Reptile as being quite funny.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 08:31:56 AM »
I know he was very popular with the right wing powers that be but I never read any of his work.

Same here. I'm sad that it took his death, but I'm going to download some of his stuff to the Kindle and give it a read.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 11:40:37 AM »
Some of his early stuff is good.

However, later in his life he supported Hillary.

He was also pro abortion and pro-illegal alien.

I suppose he was a more of a drug loving libertarian than a conservative.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 12:24:38 PM »
Here is one of his better manifestos... I must say that it worked very well as a life philosophy for a few good vacations...

https://www.heretical.com/miscella/reptile.html
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 02:18:14 PM »
"These things come in threes."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 07:55:59 PM »

Pb

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 10:15:10 PM »