Author Topic: Sweep The Leg!  (Read 3605 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Sweep The Leg!
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:13:03 AM »
Srsly, The Karate Kid was not that great of a movie.  It was the loser/good movie of the 80's.  It's not even geek-chic like the holy Star Wars Trilogy, Back to the Future, or Indiana Jones.  And the sequels should have been released straight to Beta.

And... if you're gonna steal a meme from that movie, you are supposed to take "Wax on, Wax off!"

I've been deluged with Karate Kid pop culture references recently, and I've heard "Sweep the Leg" way too many times.  I can't cite all of them, but I was watching an episode of Chuck last night and it had the odious reference in there.

Pop culture, stop it!  You're not cool, and neither is that movie.  Very few people remember that line so you're talking to a small club... and we have excommunicated that movie from meme-able references.   :police:  Return back to your regularly scheduled programming of Yoda quotes and flux capacitor references.

That is all.   :angel:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:24 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:22:29 AM »
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//input.jpg
^^
I LOVE that movie. (Short Circuit for the uninitiated.)

And seriously, how can anyone who LIVED during the 80's not remember Karate Kid?

EVERY kid who grew up around that time knows the lines and the "Crane Kick".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »
 =D I think it's hilarious.  =D

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »
So the reason he did the kick was because his foot was injured, and he had to keep it on the ground.
But when he does the kick he lands on that foot just fine and it doesn't bother him at all.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:15:05 PM »
It's not even geek-chic like the holy Star Wars Trilogy, Back to the Future, or Indiana Jones. 

Did you just seriously try to put BttF in the same class as Star Wars or Indiana Jones?   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »
Back to the Future is an awesome movie series, although the first part is FAR stronger than parts II and III.
As a series I would say that no, it does not stand up to the Star Wars Trilogy (yes TRILOGY), or Indy Trilogy (yes TRILOGY).  =D
I am adamant however, that the first BttF is as good as any of those films.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
Back to the Future is an awesome movie series

Wow.  Just wow. 

Wes

• Never odd or even
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 01:59:43 PM »
So the reason he did the kick was because his foot was injured, and he had to keep it on the ground.
But when he does the kick he lands on that foot just fine and it doesn't bother him at all.

He was standing on his good foot.  IIRC, his bad foot was not used for kicking or standing, his good foot did it all.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 02:32:56 PM »
^^

And seriously, how can anyone who LIVED during the 80's not remember Karate Kid?

I apparently don't know the lines.  "Wax on, wax off" yes, but nothing else.  I don't remember "sweep the leg" even after knowing which movie it apparently came from.  I probably know more lines from Red Dawn than I do from Karate Kid.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »
Possibly from this which came out a couple years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlQNtL8F9s

(No More Kings: Sweep the leg)
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
^^

I'm an 80's kid, and I've never seen it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »
I'm an 80's kid, and I've never seen it.

Did they at least let you have candles in your cave?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
I've seen it once or twice.  Never have seen Red Dawn or a lot of the other flicks I was supposed to have grown up on.  I've caught up on some of them since then. 

It seems a lot of my generation (thirty-somethings) spent summer days and winter evenings curled up in front of the VCR. 

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »
Never have seen Red Dawn
Fisty, I am near ready to weep for you
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
Did you just seriously try to put BttF in the same class as Star Wars or Indiana Jones?   :O

On that note:

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »
Never have seen Red Dawn

BLASPHEMER!!!!

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 12:51:12 AM »
On that note:

What sound does the DeLorean's horn make?

Toot Toot!

=D

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 01:11:52 AM »

What sound does the DeLorean's horn make?

Toot Toot!

=D

You can run a DeLorean on cocaine...
But you have to snort start it!
It will go anywhere there's a white line!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »
I've seen it once or twice.  Never have seen Red Dawn or a lot of the other flicks I was supposed to have grown up on.  I've caught up on some of them since then. 

It seems a lot of my generation (thirty-somethings) spent summer days and winter evenings curled up in front of the VCR. 
As a kid with all the Cold War stuff still going full bore Red Dawn had an impact.  I guess if you see it now, it might be a bit less so. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
He was standing on his good foot.  IIRC, his bad foot was not used for kicking or standing, his good foot did it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYE4fNQKTs4
Please watch this.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 05:35:35 PM »

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 05:41:46 PM »
On that note:

They forgot to mention the stainless steel frame and body. Novelty adds to the coolness factor.