Author Topic: Sweet! Ragweed Forge delivers Christmas.  (Read 1157 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Sweet! Ragweed Forge delivers Christmas.
« on: December 02, 2010, 05:32:31 PM »
For many years, I have been meaning to pick up an Opinel. Just because they are so funky and dirt cheap. My father-in-law always gives us some cash, so we can get our own gifts. (Then we have to wrap them and open them, and act surprised.  ;/  :lol: )

http://www.ragweedforge.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinel_knife

This is one of the larger, carbon steel models. Since the shipping cost is fixed, I also got a 3-inch model for my father-in-law, as a Christmas gift. I wanted to order an Okapi, too, but they didn't have the size I wanted.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Sweet! Ragweed Forge delivers Christmas.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »
Dude, your knife is lame. It says so itself, right under Opinel.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:20:17 PM »
 =(   :'(

If someone could translate, I'd be obliged. 'Far as I can make out, it says something like "carbon steel blade." If anyone could shed light on which type of steel they use, so much the better.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Oh, jeez, I used to buy stuff from his site years and years ago! I'd totally forgotten about it, and now I have that spending bug again. :)

Thanks, OP!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:19:28 PM »
we have to wrap them and open them, and act surprised

It gets easier as you get older  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »
It gets easier as you get older  ;)

Mortality sucks...
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
Sergeant Bob, I see we have a similar taste in sig lines.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »
I have an Opinel #7 that was also purchased from Ragweed Forge. They are a rare bargain in the knife world. I carried it for a year until I was able to open and lock it single handed but it was just too clumsy for fast paced kitchen utility work. I can't say that no one looks twice when you pull out a pocket knife any longer but the Opinel certainly looks tame and garnered little attention from my coworkers. It's just too hard for me to go back and carry a knife that doesn't open and close easily with one hand. Now I am embarrassed to admit that my EDC during the work week is a Mastercraft folding utility knife. It is large, clumsy, oversprung, and rides poorly. I found it in a parking lot and have used it and abused it for 3 years while only replacing the utility blade twice. I sharpen the replaceable blade every few days and it always serves well. They are completely overbuilt and it should go on as long as I don't lose sight of it.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 11:20:37 PM »
Sergeant Bob, I see we have a similar taste in sig lines.

I have to give you credit for being first. Dan Stark is da man! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »
As a teenager, I used to carry around Cold Steel's plastic version of the Opinel. The big round (hinge) end of the handle wore a hole through my jeans. The Opinel may be a little gentler on the pocket, but I still don't plan to carry it much.

I just want it for the cool.