Author Topic: Sweet, sweet hippy tears...  (Read 5975 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Sweet, sweet hippy tears...
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:21:33 AM »
What I remember most of all is the thought that dogged me in the days afterward, as it became clear that a star player had been rendered quadriplegic on national television: Surely the game of football would now be outlawed.

Obviously that never happened....Tatum continued to terrorize opposing players.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/magazine/is-it-immoral-to-watch-the-super-bowl.html

:rofl:  I guess they're herding up people off the street, and forcing them to play football, now. The poor dears.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Sweet, sweet hippy tears...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:22:36 AM »
Part of the bread and circuses bit.  You want to piss off the sheeple? Start screwing with their sports. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10:11 AM »
Recently, though, medical research has confirmed that football can cause catastrophic brain injury — not as a rare and unintended consequence, but as a routine byproduct of how the game is played. That puts us fans in a morally queasy position. We not only tolerate this brutality. We sponsor it, just by watching at home.

The author is obviously using an editorial "we," since he can't be including me in that. I haven't watched a professional or college football game, in person or on television, since I graduated from college in the mid-1960s. Ditto for basketball, and for the same reason: boring. (With basketball, the rules haven't changed but for college and the pros they simply don't enforce them.) No fun to watch.

The author can pound sand. I'm not supporting pro football.

For interesting football or basketball, go to a local high school game.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:07:56 AM »
Quote from: fistful link=topic=43004.msg8752it0#msg875240 date=1390890093
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/magazine/is-it-immoral-to-watch-the-super-bowl.html

:rofl:  I guess they're herding up people off the street, and forcing them to play football, now. The poor dears.
Football is the state religion in most of US. It would be easier to ban Christianity or coffee.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
Football is the state religion in most of US. It would be easier to ban Christianity or coffee Oprah.

FIFY
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
Part of the bread and circuses bit.  You want to piss off the sheeple? Start screwing with their sports. 

even the romans knew that!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:17 AM »
The author is obviously using an editorial "we," since he can't be including me in that. I haven't watched a professional or college football game, in person or on television, since I graduated from college in the mid-1960s. Ditto for basketball, and for the same reason: boring. (With basketball, the rules haven't changed but for college and the pros they simply don't enforce them.) No fun to watch.

The author can pound sand. I'm not supporting pro football.

For interesting football or basketball, go to a local high school game.

^ This times eleventybillion.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:40:47 AM »
even the romans knew that!

"Nika! Nika! Nika!"
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 10:25:34 AM »
For the millions the stars make, and even the decent six-figures the mediocre players make, I think they should have weapons and a 1 minute timer clock on fights between plays.

But then I'm also in favor of "Aztec Rules" for most reality television that has an elimination component.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »
If it pisses off liberals, then I will continue to watch!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
I hate football

But if the blissninnys hate it, I think I'll start supporting it
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
I like the game.  I don't care about most of the personalities involved.  I enjoy it as a spectator sport.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
Yet another example of how the enlightened continue to try to tell the rest of us how dangerous so many things in life are, so they must be stopped/banned.  I think back to my youth when we left home at 7:30, spend the day running through the woods without adult supervision, making campfires, cooking hot dogs on sticks, carrying knives, shooting things, with the only rule I had to live by was to be home when my father got home for dinner.  We played tackle football without pads, and hardball without batting helmets.  We shot BB guns without eye protection.  Looked at Playboy magazine, and laughed at the jokes even if we didn't get them.  Sometimes we got hurt, a few stitches here and there, a cast or two.  But we were right back at it the next day, even with stitches or a cast.

Is football dangerous?  Yep.  But so is driving.  So is walking across a busy street.  As i often say, the leading cause of death on this planet is life.  And I don't plan on giving that up.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »

I've seen small towns that would go absolutely ballistic if someone accused (with evidence) a football player of rape or other misconduct. Hell, Penn State fans were honest enough to often admit that raped kids were no where near as important as college level football. That's pretty much why I don't care about sports. They'd be fine by themselves, but their fanboys (and fangirls) can be stomach curdling. Like Prius or Apple owners.

If someone seriously tried to ban sports, I would honestly expect them to be ripped apart by a lynch mob or stabbed to death on the Senate floor.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 01:27:22 PM »
Meh, there's a difference between "sports are dangerous" as a generality and the fact that so many pro football players end up with crippling brain injuries. Doesn't hurt to be cognizant of the fact that you're being entertained by watching young men destroy their health.

On the other hand, I get payed a fraction of the league minimum to do a job that's statistically more likely to kill or cripple me than NFL players, so my sympathy is pretty negligible.

I don't hate sports per se, but the rabid cultish devotion so many display towards it (see Rev's Penn State comments, they're spot on) is truly disturbing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
I'll let you numbskulls debate the merits of sport, while the rest of us just enjoy the delicious hippy tears. And the irony. I guess next they'll try to outlaw booze, and sex, and free speech, and abortion, and other dangerous choices.   ;)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »
Again, I don't have any sympathy for either the article referenced in the OP or NFL players, but there's a significant difference between allowing people to hurt themselves and using young people giving themselves brain injuries as entertainment. Not everything is about the .gov, this is a moral quandary insofar as it's anything at all.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 12:36:44 AM »
Again, I don't have any sympathy for either the article referenced in the OP or NFL players, but there's a significant difference between allowing people to hurt themselves and using young people giving themselves brain injuries as entertainment. Not everything is about the .gov, this is a moral quandary insofar as it's anything at all.

This a hippy tears thread, about the idiotic mutterings of a hippy who doesn't see that difference.

He also doesn't see the difference between being terrorized, vs voluntarily playing a game for money.

So  :lol:

(I don't watch the sport, so I don't quite relate to the moral quandary thereof. Sorry.)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Sweet, sweet hippy tears...
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 06:50:03 AM »
Meh no moral quandry.  Their likelihood of debilitating injury is less than for many professions with lesser compensation.  And many would barely be competent such that they could manage lower middle class employment outside of football.  

And the risk of serious injury of the acute or chronic sort is less for football than for some other kids  recreational activities.  Like riding their bike.

The anti football push is about status and imposing a swpl sensibility on the benighted flyover denizens.

And hippy tears are still sweet.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 07:29:24 AM »
Meh no moral quandry.  Their likelihood of debilitating injury is less than for many professions with lesser compensation.  And many would barely be competent such that they could manage lower middle class employment outside of football.  

And the risk of serious injury of the acute or chronic sort is less for football than for some other kids  recreational activities.  Like riding their bike.

The anti football push is about status and imposing a swpl sensibility on the benighted flyover denizens.

And hippy tears are still sweet.

??? New acronym to me.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 07:59:06 AM »
??? New acronym to me.

Stuff White People Like. Used as a shorthand for progressive white urban liberals.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »
Questions:

If they reduced the number of innings played, would football be any safer for the players?

Would the hippie be any happier if it were safer for the players?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »
Winning quote from a friend:

"The only leatherbound objects men should be chasing, are women."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!