Author Topic: Swift Handgun Scopes?  (Read 1935 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Swift Handgun Scopes?
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:11:32 PM »
I thinking about getting a handgun scope for my Redhawk 44mag.  It's going to be primarily for range duty, but *might* go hunting once in a while.  Distance will be out to 100yds and primarily off a rest.  No, I'm not interested in a red dot, I tried that before.  My eyes "smear" the dot.  I'm also not interested in $400+ options.

I was primarily looking at Bushnell's Trophy XLT 2-6x32, but recently became aware of Swift's line of scopes.  They consistently get good reviews for quality and service.  The Premier line is repeatedly compared to Leupold at 1/3 the price.  I'm not looking at the Premier because they don't have a model I want, but was looking at the Reliant line as they have a 2x32 and 4x32 model.  It drops from a lifetime warranty to 5yr, but if I'm still hammering away at the scope after 5yrs, I'll be ok with upgrading if it fails. 

Anyway, what's the hive mind input on Swift?  Better or worse than Bushnell (which gets good reviews as a budget handgun scope option too).

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Swift Handgun Scopes?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »
The only experience I have with handgun scopes is an older Bushnell Phantom Magnum, which gave me VERY good service.

But, I got it when you were still fleeing in terror from plastic ducks... :rofl:

Swifts didn't have a great rep when they first hit the market in the late 1980s or early 1990s, but over the years I've heard progressively better things about them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:59:37 PM »
I'll check tonight tonight to see which scope I have on my SRH (.480)- its either a Bushnell or Burris, I can't remember which, either way, I never had a problem with it
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 04:45:16 PM »
But, I got it when you were still fleeing in terror from plastic ducks... :rofl:

There's got to be a story behind that ...

I've had a Burris 2x on my Redhawk for about 15 years with no problems.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »
Guys, I know Burris is good (and Leupold and Nikon, etc).  What I want to know is if Swift is "good enough" for recreational use on a big bore handgun.  I don't want to drop $250+ into something that's going to mainly be a range toy.  All I want is for it not to self destruct in a few hundred rounds.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 05:13:26 PM »
Guys, I know Burris is good (and Leupold and Nikon, etc).  What I want to know is if Swift is "good enough" for recreational use on a big bore handgun.  I don't want to drop $250+ into something that's going to mainly be a range toy.  All I want is for it not to self destruct in a few hundred rounds.

Chris

I know that this is a Swift brand, but I know of a few guys with a Simmons ProHunter on 44mag and 454 casull and have help up so far.

This scope right here. http://www.natchezss.com/simmons-2-6x32-prohunter-handgun-scope-truplex-reticle.html
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »
I think you could find a decent used Leupold for the same money and get their lifetime guarantee.
In fact, I have a Leupold 4x M8 that I have considered parting with.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »
I think you could find a decent used Leupold for the same money and get their lifetime guarantee.

^$100?

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »
I'll check tonight tonight to see which scope I have on my SRH (.480)- its either a Bushnell or Burris, I can't remember which, either way, I never had a problem with it

Color me surprised, but its actually a Simmons ProHunter 2-6x. I know I got it from Cabela's and didn't pay over $150 for it. I must have been sniffing glue the day I bought it, because I swore off Simmons a long time ago when I got a scope that wouldn't hold zero, but like I said, no problems with this one at all.
I know that this is a Swift brand, but I know of a few guys with a Simmons ProHunter on 44mag and 454 casull and have help up so far.

This scope right here. http://www.natchezss.com/simmons-2-6x32-prohunter-handgun-scope-truplex-reticle.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 06:20:09 PM »
Sorry, definitely more than $100 if I decide to sell it.
I saw a used one sell not long ago for $150 but mine is like new with box etc and has rings for rail mount.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »

I could buy a Swift Premier series scope, get the lifetime warranty, and spend a fraction of the cost of a Leupold.  The reports from reviewers that actually own the Swift Premier scopes say they're on par with Leupold.

The point is, I don't know that I'm going to keep a scope on the gun.  I may not like it.  I don't want to put big bucks into this, but I also don't want something that will break within a box of ammo.  I'm looking for that sweet spot between garbage and the top of the line. 

I looked at those, but the frequent negative remarks, multiple reported failures, the multiple comments about plastic lenses, and the 100yd parallax (might be confusing it with another scope on parallax), turned me off.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »
Sorry, definitely more than $100 if I decide to sell it.
I saw a used one sell not long ago for $150 but mine is like new with box etc and has rings for rail mount.

They are just under $300 new. I normally see used scopes where I live in good condition go for about 1/3 of new price.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:53 PM »
For fixed power, 2x or 4x?  I mainly want to use it for 50-100yd, probably 100yd off a bench.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
For fixed power, 2x or 4x?  I mainly want to use it for 50-100yd, probably 100yd off a bench.

Chris

4x

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 08:06:57 PM »
4x

That's what I was thinking too.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 08:42:39 PM »
You couldn't pay me enough to try another round with a Simmons scope.

Every one I tried in years past was absolute crap.

And yer a big pussy if you don't drop the coin for a Schmidt & Bender.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 08:51:18 PM »
You couldn't pay me enough to try another round with a Simmons scope.

Every one I tried in years past was absolute crap.

And yer a big pussy if you don't drop the coin for a Schmidt & Bender.

I still have one of the Simmons Pro Hunter scopes made in the Philippines from about 20 years ago. I've had zero problems with it, but I wouldn't touch any of their Chinese junk.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 09:07:15 PM »
I'm leaning heavily toward the Swift Reliant 4x32.  I wouldn't mind ponying up for the Premier (fully multicoated vs multicoated optics, lifetime vs 5yr warranty), but the non-zoom Premier line is only available in Satin Nickel and this is going on a blued gun.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 05:52:57 AM »
I put a Simmons Pro Hunter (think that was the model) on a .300 Savage back in the early 1990s when I was at NRA.

On shot 3 or 4 the internals broke loose. Couldn't see through it and you could hear *expletive deleted*it rattling around when you shook it.

Exchanged that one under warranty. The replacement lasted maybe 20 shots, and then the one adjustment knob became free spinning and didn't do anything.

Replaced it with a Leupold Vari-X, which has lasted several hundred shots without an issue.

The true prize, though, was the coworker who put a Simmons on his Contender. First shot coughed the objective lens down range.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 02:21:45 PM »
So much for the Swift Reliant line.  I just read a manufacturer note that they aren't intended for handguns above 357mag.

I'd spring for the Premier, but a shiny silver scope on blued gun seems pimpalicious.

Might have to revert to the Bushnell Trophy XLT...

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 07:09:54 AM »
Ordered the Trophy XLT.  B&H Photo has it for $160 (so does Amazon, but they were going to charge $9 tax).  Bushnell offers a 1yr no-questions-asked money-back satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime warranty.  B&H offers a money back satisfaction guarantee.  Between the two, if I don't like it, I won't have to keep it.

Chris