Author Topic: Swiss troops accidentally invade Liechtenstein  (Read 1547 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Swiss troops accidentally invade Liechtenstein
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »
Whoops!    cheesy

Swiss troops march into tiny Liechtenstein by mistake
Updated 3/2/2007 10:35 AM ET    

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP)  What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers from the neutral country wandered more than a mile across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story, but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

"We've spoken to the authorities in Liechtenstein and it's not a problem," Daniel Reist told The Associated Press on Friday.

Officials in Liechtenstein also played down the incident.

Interior Ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. "It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something," he said.

Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly smaller than Washington, D.C., does not have an army.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: Swiss troops accidentally invade Liechtenstein
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »
Those wily Swiss! I knew they wanted an empire!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
Those darn imperialist Swiss!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »
Obviously no one had the version of the knife with the compass on it...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
Perhaps a company of bank couriers?  Why not just use DHL? grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »
other than they funny jokes that could come out this, I find refreshing that both nations are being pretty cool about all of it.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
That's because there are no THR members in either countries bleating about their Sacred Borders.

Border Guards=> police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
other than they funny jokes that could come out this, I find refreshing that both nations are being pretty cool about all of it.

-C

Dude, this is the European Union.  It's not like Israelis crossed over into Syria.  Heck, look what happens when Mexican military are reported to be crossing our border. 

Nothing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
Who here would care if some Canadians accidentally wandered into the US and left as soon as they realized their mistake?  I certainly wouldn't.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 01:26:30 PM »
The Swiss are lucky they didn't transect Liechtenstein completely and end up in Austria.  Then there would have been heck to pay.

"A war so great, even the Swiss are involved!
A war so terrible, the French have already surrendered!"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 03:45:48 PM »
"Breaking news! The Swiss telephone system is overwhelmed as the French are trying to surrender individually and pre-emptively! Fly to France and collect your free rifle now, while supplies last!"

"Later in this newscast, the British parliament meets in an emergency session to discuss a peace accord with the belligerent Swiss. The talks are to be held in a neutral location, likely Munich! Peace in Our Time at Any Cost!"

"CNN has fresh footage of Swiss war crimes. Some cheese stacks and French wine bottles might have been violated."

"Nancy Pelosi appears on national TV to demand immediate withdrawal of American troops from the continent."

"The UN votes for economic sanctions against the Swiss, wherein all sales of Swiss chocolate, cheese, and watches is to be directed through UN officials to ensure that the Swiss do not use the proceeds for anything but French wine."

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »
This reminds me of an incident a few years ago.

The Spanish government was being particularly obstructive towards Gibralta (putting major restrictions on the movement of people/goods in and out, in defiance of EU rules on such things).

The Royal Navy was on exercises near by, and a squad of Marines "accidently" launched an invasion of a Spanish beach (instead of the Gibraltan beach they were supposed to).  The official explanation was that it was the result  of a "map-reading error", but the concensus amongst the troops themselves was apparently that the officer in command had done it deliberately, in order to get back at the Spanish.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 08:12:52 PM »

Interior Ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. "It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something," he said.

Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly smaller than Washington, D.C., does not have an army.

Eh, it's the freakin Swiss.  If you see a Swiss soldier anywhere outside the land of great chocolate, you know he made a wrong turn somewhere.  It's not exactly like they have a recent history of hostile intentions.  "Hey, we're neutral and scary!  I dare ya to stick your toe over our border again!"

(Note, do NOT stick toe over border with hostile intend.  It's a crime not to keep your govt supplied assault rifle in your home, with a minimum of 50 rds of ammo.)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
See what happens when you give an officer a map and compass.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »
That's why the also issue the officers an NCO and some junior enlisted folks who have been around the block.

Non-mustang butterbars are nearly as funny as newly minted buck privates.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 08:17:40 AM »
True but most new officers don't learn to listen to their NCO's until something like this happens.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
That's why the also issue the officers an NCO and some junior enlisted folks who have been around the block.

Non-mustang butterbars are nearly as funny as newly minted buck privates.

If you ever hear an LT say "In my experience..." or a CPT say "I have an great idea...", run screaming.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
That's why Swiss cheese has holes in it...just like their border.   grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw