Author Topic: ZOMBIES AHEAD  (Read 6466 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
ZOMBIES AHEAD
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:09:04 PM »

All right, which one of you was it?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,484326,00.html

Transportation officials in Texas are scrambling to prevent hackers from changing messages on digital road signs after one sign in Austin was altered to read, "Zombies Ahead."

Chris Lippincott, director of media relations for the Texas Department of Transportation, confirmed that a portable traffic sign at Lamar Boulevard and West 15th Street, near the University of Texas at Austin, was hacked into during the early hours of Jan. 19.

"It was clever, kind of cute, but not what it was intended for," said Lippincott, who saw the sign during his morning commute. "Those signs are deployed for a reason — to improve traffic conditions, let folks know there's a road closure."

[more at the link]

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: ZOMBIES AHEAD
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »
Ok... which one of y'all was it?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:39:30 PM »
Just because I've been playing a lot of Left 4 Dead everyone immediately suspects me...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
NO... we suspect you because you're usually guilty...  :laugh:

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »
Heh.  That sounds like fun.  I wonder what it would take to do that?

I wonder where the nearest electronic road sign is?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
I've kind of wondered about this in the past.  Clearly, the permanent signs are all networked together - but on what network?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 04:11:41 PM »
They're controlled usually from the DOT district office wia a satellite or cellular wireless network.

At least that's how the ones in Virginia are done.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »
peanut gallery says that most of the signs are physically unlocked and have the default admin password still in place

You can prolly overwrite the skynet programing and "All yer Base" will display until the next auto refresh from the net
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »

In Boston, wouldn't this be a bomb?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 04:51:21 PM »
I forgot.  The state legislature is in session.  It was probably just restating the obvious. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »
 :lol:

:laugh:

=D

My wife thinks I'm really insane now, I've been laughing for 5 minutes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »
peanut gallery says that most of the signs are physically unlocked and have the default admin password still in place

That reminds me... A few years back I had a meeting at a client's office.  He had a phone system identical to the one I managed at a former job.  Out of curiousity (and with his permission) I leaned over and tapped in the default admin login and password.  It popped right up, giving me full admin priviledges on his phone and voicemail system. He wasn't happy.

I guess he appreciated the heads-up.  I got a nice Thank You card and a pretty healthy gift certificate from him a few days later. I sent him a tongue-in-cheek note back that, for another gift certificate, I wouldn't change his display name to "Jerkface".  Apparently it was a hit, his secretary later called to schedule an appointment because "Mr. Jerkface wants you to list his house".

Brad
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:04:42 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
:laugh:

Classic.  I used to live a few blocks from there.  I think most of the zombies chilled in Pease Park.
For entertainment purposes only.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 06:07:25 PM »
well, i'm not that much of a regular here, but i'm familiar enough with you guys to know that it's Fistful's fault, right?

tmm

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 07:15:51 PM »
 "Change you can believe in".

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »
"It was clever, kind of cute, but not what it was intended for," said Lippincott, who saw the sign during his morning commute. "Those signs are deployed for a reason — to improve traffic conditions, let folks know there's a road closure."
You notice that he didn't deny that there were zombies ahead.   :O  The censors let that one slip by.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »
Normally, we'd assume it was Fistful. However, Mike's already protesting his innocence, so...  :laugh:

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 10:03:41 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:29:43 PM by Physics »
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 11:49:59 PM »
Actually, someone hacked a highway sign leading into Boston like this, but it was a lot...um...more profane. :)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 12:08:11 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 01:52:53 AM »
All right, which one of you was it?
Not me. I don't think I have an alibi, and I was probably on the internets at the time, but I'm pretty sure I'm innocent. I would've put "Expect Major Delays. Fistful's Fault" anyway.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
I've kind of wondered about this in the past.  Clearly, the permanent signs are all networked together - but on what network?

The huge signs usually have a net connection to the home office.   Cell is most common, but there's some hard wired ones.  But, if you have physical access to the box, you can override the automated system and install your own message.  I won't comment on the lack of information security fundimentals by ad companies (coughreadharoldspostcough).

The el cheapo store front text signs (and a few of the more expensive ones)?   You can only program them with a 'special' OEM keyboard, that uses IR.   =D

Or if your laptop has an IR port on it....
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:40:09 PM by Harold Tuttle »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 11:46:09 AM »
i'm glad my dad didn't see that. he'd have been like "hell yeah!" and would've started loading up.  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds