Author Topic: Sanity Check  (Read 2791 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Sanity Check
« on: July 20, 2013, 01:14:50 AM »
My FIL has a Browning semi-auto .22.  It is the only gun of his SWMBO wants to have.  He promised it to her many times over the years, but now he seems determined to sell it rather than give it to her.  I'll buy it just to make her happy, but I nreed a reasonable estimate of what it is really worth.  Assumme heavilly used but well cared for.  Probably 1960's vintage.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Sanity Check
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
Do you know what grade it is?  Browning makes about 3 or 4 levels.  Was it made in Belgium?

(I have no idea what the value is, but the grade can make a big difference)
"It's good, though..."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »
No idea on the grade.  Probaby Belgian.
Formerly sumpnz

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:38:48 AM »
They flipped to Japan/Miroku right around '73/'74 IIRC...

So it's Belgian.
I promise not to duck.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 08:20:30 AM »
from the intertubes

Depends on what grade the rifle is. Grade I, II or III? Grade I = Standard Grade, Grade II has engraved prarie dogs and squirrels, Grade III has dogs flushing some ducks and a dog with a duck in its mouth on the top of the receiver. You can tell what year the rifle is by the serial number.

Find out what grade it is, the check on Gunbroker what they have sold for. (not what they are asking)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:46:27 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 06:03:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure there were engravings, but I have no memory of what they were.  SWMBO has no recollection either.  She just remembers the beautiful wood and checkering.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »
Uh, this is his daughter, right? And he's going to make you buy it for her?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »

Brad

90% of the time he's a decent enough guy.  The other 10% of the time I want to kick him in the nuts. 
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 08:41:31 PM »
90% of the time he's a decent enough guy.  The other 10% of the time I want to kick him in the nuts. 

Kick him in the nuts.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »
Twice.

jim

Trade him two acres for the gun  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »
In his defense, I should at least note that he has given us an Auto-5 20 ga.  It would be a great collectors piece if he hadn't engraved his SSN in the bottom metal 40-some years ago.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
You don't really care if you give him a fair price do you?  You can't go too wrong paying $500 for it (even if it's a grade 1.)  It could easily be worth well over $1000.  Offer him $300 and see what he says.  It's worth that to make your wife happy even if the gun itself was worthless.
"It's good, though..."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 02:25:05 AM »
Apparently it's at a gunsmith right now.  He wanted to get all the lead out of the bore to see how much rifling was left.  He's going to get a price opinion from the smith.  I know damn well, unless the barrel is truely shot out $300 won't even come close.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 02:44:18 AM »
I say go get her a new one that's nicer than the one in question. Don't say a word to daddy-o. Let it be a surprise when she pulls it out of the gun case to show it off to him.. Then you can put on your biggest, proudest kiss-my-behind grin for the SOB.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 04:13:51 AM »

Brad

When Dad said he was going to dispose of his guns, I may have misspoken when I asked about prices.  As a result, I paid $1k for the Browning Superposed, the 1953 Model 70 (subMOA,) the Ithaca Model 37, and the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless.  $1k was fair market value for the Browning.  Had I spoken what Dad wanted to hear, I might have been given the lot.  On the balance sheet of money flow between Dad and me, the $1k was not even a drop in a bucket.  Buy the gun, celebrate it, and keep it in the family, if possible, even if the price asked is a bit high.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:40:12 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 07:21:41 AM »
Apparently it's at a gunsmith right now.  He wanted to get all the lead out of the bore to see how much rifling was left.  He's going to get a price opinion from the smith.  I know damn well, unless the barrel is truely shot out $300 won't even come close.
It's difficult to imagine that someone could, in normal use, a) lead up the barrel of a modern .22 rifle or handgun b) wear out the rifling of same.  Please share with us what the gunsmith has to report on the .22, if you get the story?

You can lead up a barrel of a center fire handgun easily enough.  You can "shoot out" the barrel of a rile, which generally caused by erosion of the first few inches of rifling.  That occurs looooong before appreciable wear in the rest of the rifling.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
I have my grandma's K-22, its from 1948 and I would image it probably has over a 500,000 rounds of .33lr shot through it. I probably shot 50k through it before I was a teenager, because I was shooting at least a brick a weekend with my dad. The rifling is still very crisp in it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
over a 500,000 rounds of .33lr

Wow, that's stuff is even harder to find these days than .22 LR  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
. . . He promised it to her many times over the years, but now he seems determined to sell it rather than give it to her . . .

Guy sounds like the south end of a northbound horse. Having him pull something like that would really sour the gun for me, and rather than buy it from him, I'd be REAL tempted to simply tell him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I say go get her a new one that's nicer than the one in question. Don't say a word to daddy-o. Let it be a surprise when she pulls it out of the gun case to show it off to him.. Then you can put on your biggest, proudest kiss-my-behind grin for the SOB.

I really, really, LIKE this suggestion!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
Wife wants that one, so it doesn't hurt anything to make him a lowball offer -- you never know he might take it.  When he doesn't, you can tell her he wouldn't sell so you bought her a nice one.
"It's good, though..."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
Gun smith apparently said the barrel is good (shocka!! kinda scratched my head over that when he told me).  It's a Grade 1.  He's thinking $500 for the gun, plus $250 for the Baby Redfield scope.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Gun smith apparently said the barrel is good (shocka!! kinda scratched my head over that when he told me).  It's a Grade 1.  He's thinking $500 for the gun, plus $250 for the Baby Redfield scope.

Good prices.  Not great, but good.  His "daughter discount", I take it?

Brad
-HankB

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »
More or less.

I have 4-5 cords of firewood to sell this fall.  Thinking I'll tell him I only got $650-700 for all of it and offer that much for the gun.  Chances are he'd take it, unless he thought he could get a whole lot more (like over a grand) elsewhere.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
Does that include the funky Browning scope mount and rings?  Otherwise the scope won't do you much good.  (At least I *think* it requires a weird mount.)
"It's good, though..."